Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby Costs and Best Technique?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Standby Costs and Best Technique?

So I booked a flight for Thursday back in January and as an idiot, I booked a later flight while my friends booked an earlier. I usually fly Southwest/American so don't know how good Delta is about allowing me to fly the earlier flight if seats are available.

I looked to see if Delta could just switch me, but she said it'd be a $200 change fee (dumb).

As of right now, less than 48 hours until flight, there are 14 seats available on the earlier flight (4 first, 6 Delta Comfort, 4 Preferred).

1. Does Delta charge for taking an earlier flight?
2. What is the best approach on trying to get on that earlier flight? Go through security and then speak to the gate agent or speak to the agent before I go through security (where you would check your bags, etc.)
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:16 pm

This is the relevant info from the appropriate Delta.com page
Eligibility
Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available.

You may request a same-day flight change within 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight.

Silver Medallion members, general SkyMiles members and non-members may only fly same-day standby for a flight that is earlier than their original flight.

Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members may standby for a flight any time on the same day as their original flight.

No routing changes are allowed.

Eligible same-day standby flights must be on the same day as the original flight, starting 12am of the same day to 11:59pm the same day.

Change is only permitted based on the original ticketed paid cabin. For example, customers confirmed in RU class may only standby for flights in the Economy cabin

Basic Economy fare (E) for flights flown on or after February 1, 2015 are not eligible for same-day standby travel changes.

You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights.

FEES
Fees
Silver Medallion members, general SkyMiles members and non-members:
$50 USD Standby Fee - Standby fee will be collected, but your card will not be charged until you are assigned a seat on the standby flight

Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members:
$50 USD Standby Fee Waived

Basic Economy (E) fares are not eligible to make same-day confirmed or same-day standby travel changes, regardless of Medallion or other elite status, for flights flown on or after February 1, 2015.
In short: you can standby for an earlier flight for a $50 fee.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HardHitter
So I booked a flight for Thursday back in January and as an idiot, I booked a later flight while my friends booked an earlier. I usually fly Southwest/American so don't know how good Delta is about allowing me to fly the earlier flight if seats are available.

I looked to see if Delta could just switch me, but she said it'd be a $200 change fee (dumb).

As of right now, less than 48 hours until flight, there are 14 seats available on the earlier flight (4 first, 6 Delta Comfort, 4 Preferred).

2. What is the best approach on trying to get on that earlier flight? Go through security and then speak to the gate agent or speak to the agent before I go through security (where you would check your bags, etc.)
Seat maps don't tell you how many seats are for sale on a flight. It can be sold out but people not be assigned seats.

As long as this is a domestic flight you can change to an earlier one. Your same fare class must be available to confirm. Otherwise you can be placed on standby. Once you get put on the flight you're charged $50 for the SDC/SDS. Note if you have a basic economy (E fare class) ticket you are not allowed to changed flights.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Seat maps don't tell you how many seats are for sale on a flight. It can be sold out but people not be assigned seats.

As long as this is a domestic flight you can change to an earlier one. Your same fare class must be available to confirm. Otherwise you can be placed on standby. Once you get put on the flight you're charged $50 for the SDC/SDS. Note if you have a basic economy (E fare class) ticket you are not allowed to changed flights.
you can call in to request the Same-Day Confirmed change as soon as online check-in opens (24 hrs before departure of your BOOKED flight); as flyerCO stated, if the inventory is available, the phone agent will process the change and collect your credit card info for the $50 fee
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

If the OP was able to change flights for a $200 fee, it wasn't an E fare. Also, this suggests that, at least at the time of this phone call, the OP's fare class was available. IMO this means there's a decent chance of being able to do the SDC = Same Day Confirmed at T-24 rather than wait and fly standby. Either way, the fee is $50.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys.

Last question, do I need to wait for check in of the flight I want or my flight to do the $50 change?

The flight I want departs at 12:15 PM tomorrow where my current booked flight departs at 5:35 PM
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
See reply #2, and be sure to recognize the difference between same-day confirmed flight change (typically SDC in this forum) and true standby.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Thanks guys.

Last question, do I need to wait for check in of the flight I want or my flight to do the $50 change?

The flight I want departs at 12:15 PM tomorrow where my current booked flight departs at 5:35 PM
Your flight. Not the flight to which you want to change. You will need to wait until 5:35 pm to call and ask for the change....

But...

I have had success as both a PM and DM changing earlier, so you might want to try at 12:15 pm. What's the worst that can happen? You'll have to call back at 5:35 pm. You're no worse off for trying. At a minimum you'll find out if there is availability and be able to adjust your plans accordingly.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Same Day confirmed is obviously the preferred option, so you know that you are on that earlier flight.
What fare bucket is your ticket on? That can be an indicator of your chances of a confirmed vs standby also.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
Same Day confirmed is obviously the preferred option, so you know that you are on that earlier flight.
What fare bucket is your ticket on? That can be an indicator of your chances of a confirmed vs standby also.
I don't know the fare bucket but most likely the lowest one as it was really cheap $125 round trip for a ticket that is usually $300.

I'll give them a call today to see what they can do.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Five hours between flights is a long time to waste sitting in an airport if you try to do SDS and don't get onto the earlier flight.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't know the fare bucket but most likely the lowest one as it was really cheap $125 round trip for a ticket that is usually $300.

I'll give them a call today to see what they can do.
It should be shown if you look at your itinerary on the Delta website... will be something like "Main Cabin (X)" etc.

Generally speaking, if you are booked in L/U/T/X/V it is more difficult to get a same day confirmed unless the flight has a lot of open space.

The other down side is that on standby, you have to get to the airport for that earlier flight and risk sitting around for hours if you don't clear. The standby list is also ranked according to elite status (higher status gets priority) and fare bucket, so the lower fare means lower on the list.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:09 am
Original Poster

It should be shown if you look at your itinerary on the Delta website... will be something like "Main Cabin (X)" etc.

Generally speaking, if you are booked in L/U/T/X/V it is more difficult to get a same day confirmed unless the flight has a lot of open space.

The other down side is that on standby, you have to get to the airport for that earlier flight and risk sitting around for hours if you don't clear. The standby list is also ranked according to elite status (higher status gets priority) and fare bucket, so the lower fare means lower on the list.
It would be a risk I'm willing to take. It is a flight to Vegas for my friends bachelor party so if I don't make it, then it is 5 hours at the bar haha
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Just checked it. Main cabin V

Oh well, like I said, flying to Vegas on a Thursday mid-afternoon is probably not the most common thing. In addition, I'm flying out of a small airport (San Jose) in comparison to San Francisco.

If I make it on the earlier flight, then great. If not, won't kill me. I'll relax at the bar and make new friends until my flight!
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:17 am

Five hours drinking in an airport bar can lead to being denied boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.