Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta's proposed 20-year ATL airport lease includes construction of Concourse G

Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

Some news today:
Hartsfied-Jackson International Airport is seeking approval of a proposed 20-year lease deal with Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines that it says ties into a planned expansion including construction of Concourse G and new parking garages.

If the Atlanta City Council approves the Delta lease deal, the Atlanta airport plans to immediately embark on work for Concourse G, including planning. The project to build another international concourse is expected to cost $983 million and take until 2023 to complete.
Rest of the article -- AJC.com: Hartsfield-Jacksons proposed 20-year lease with Delta ties into expansion (April 25, 2016)
Old Apr 26, 2016, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
That airport is going to become too big to handle.

I wonder what a G would mean... convert E to domestic and F+G are intl?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I'd be interested to see *where* they put a Concourse G. Unless DL tears down some a significant amount of their stuff East of F (cargo, tech ops, parking), G would have to go somewhere else... Perhaps between RWY 9R/27L and 10/28?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I'd be interested to see *where* they put a Concourse G. Unless DL tears down some a significant amount of their stuff East of F (cargo, tech ops, parking), G would have to go somewhere else... Perhaps between RWY 9R/27L and 10/28?
Odds are this is the "south gate complex" they have talked about for years. They would kick everybody who is not Delta out, and send them to the south gate complex. Maybe they are now calling it concourse G?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: DL PM Reserve
Southgate complex was ruled out in the master plan that came out last year. Exapansion east with new concourses. 6th runway, and expanded cargo gates are to go where the south gate complex would have been.

http://www.atlanta-airport.com/Airpo...tation.pdf.pdf
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I think they will end up relocated some facilities east or north of F (I don;t know what the stuff due north is, and if it needs to be located where it is). You want to maintain the passenger airside connectivity, and also taxiway paths look to be better keeping the concourse in that general area. Directly north of F looks good as it could be cheaply connected via moving walkway to F.

And 5 more T gates. And this plan dropped (or keeps as a potential future option) an H concourse.

The parking deck rebuild will be an adventure for us locals. I suspect remote lots will fill up. Time for Marta/Uber.

Looks like the 2nd airport proponents from years ago had the right idea. Fly some O/D traffic in/out of that (WN would happily move) and keep ATL at a sane size. It is growing so fast they might use kudzu as ground cover to keep up with the pace.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by ATL787
Southgate complex was ruled out in the master plan that came out last year. Exapansion east with new concourses. 6th runway, and expanded cargo gates are to go where the south gate complex would have been.

Basically, new gates go to the East of current F, south of the entry road to F from I-75 (and tech ops, etc). Looks like G (maybe more F?) gates are connected to the current F building with (eventually) 2 more small satellite gates beyond.

See page 15 of the linked PDF for details.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:11 am

And yet the plan includes the proposed MARTA extension from what is now the Domestic Terminals to the South Gate Complex.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
Originally Posted by rylan
That airport is going to become too big to handle.

I wonder what a G would mean... convert E to domestic and F+G are intl?
Too bad there are no other solutions like, ya know, having some more routes via other hubs.
dtwtransport likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M

Thanks for the pdf.

Interesting that it pencilled in both an H an I concourse. Or possibly it is 3 locations for up to 2 new concourses? I like the idea of G being basically an F expansion though. That seems like a clean design from a user perspective.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Thanks for the pdf.

Interesting that it pencilled in both an H an I concourse. Or possibly it is 3 locations for up to 2 new concourses? I like the idea of G being basically an F expansion though. That seems like a clean design from a user perspective.
The long, long-term plan if the airport still needs more space would then be to move TechOPS and expand the F/G/H/I concourses into full-size a la T-E. But moving TechOps will not be cheap.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:27 am
Suspended

What ATL needs to figure out is having a train land side to connect the international and domestic side. NO the stupid 12 passenger buses are not a solution.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:30 am
Suspended

Oh also the STATE needs to grow up, put on their big boy/girl pants, and prepare/create a SECOND airport in Atlanta.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:20 pm

There's no need for a second airport for Atlanta. A sixth runway, for departures, and a south side Victor loop will do wonders for saving time.
Spanish likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by DCAflyer81
Too bad there are no other solutions like, ya know, having some more routes via other hubs.
CVG? MEM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.