Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL applies for Haneda slots: ATL/LAX/MSP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL applies for Haneda slots: ATL/LAX/MSP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by WWads
The new Airbuses can't come soon enough. It's kind of ridiculous that DL runs 767s on TPAC flights.
I actually think the 767 J seat is better than the 777 J seat. Neither of them are that great though (albeit they were a great improvement years ago when rolled out). DL really doesn't have many current options, which to your point should improve when the Airbuses arrive.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The new Airbuses can't come soon enough. It's kind of ridiculous that DL runs 767s on TPAC flights.
Because you would rather have a narrower coach seat in 3x3x3 config on a UA or AA 787 (or 3x4x3 on a 777) than 2x3x2 on a Delta 767?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
MSP-HND on the 767 D1 seats? ick!
Not gonna happen. MSP-HND is about 250sm farther than the longest 767 route DL has operated. The set of low-probability hypotheticals about which you can complain is infinite.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Because you would rather have a narrower coach seat in 3x3x3 config on a UA or AA 787 (or 3x4x3 on a 777) than 2x3x2 on a Delta 767?
I think it depends on if you are traveling in the back or the front. In the back I agree with you...2x3x2 to me beats anything.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:11 am

The set of low-probability hypotheticals about which you can complain is infinite.
Oh, and I found this hilarious.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
That's news to me. Would you mind telling us which 763ER's are leaving? Only the domestic 763A's are scheduled for retirement except for four ETOPS models used for Hawaii.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by ashill
It wouldn't shock me if DL is engaging in some gamesmanship here, thinking that ATL is their strongest case (since they knew that AA would also apply for LAX) and thus likely to be awarded anyway. I wonder if it will come back to bite them if the DOT has had enough of DL's shenanigans with HND in general and awards LAX-HND to AA, then sees MSP as a bogus request with very little local traffic. And if DL didn't get their second choice, why give them their third?

Although maybe MSP does make sense since ATL doesn't have a ton of local traffic anyway and, as jrkmsp pointed out, MSP serves more connecting cities logically. In fact, with only MSP and DFW requested in the interior of the country and MSP being better-located geographically for connections, maybe MSP does stand a chance after all.

I'm surprised that neither DL nor AA requested JFK and that nobody requested ORD.
1. DL requests MSP-HND.
2. Request denied.
3. DL promptly drops MSP-NRT. ("Not Sustainable", DL states as much in their application.)
4. Public complains. Breathless editorials in the local fishwrap.
5. "We wanted to keep service to TYO but the gub'mint wouldn't let us!"
6. Everyone forgets and moves on.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL uses 767s on all of its LHR routes. You would think these birds would be noncompetitive.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
DL uses 767s on all of its LHR routes. You would think these birds would be noncompetitive.
You'd think that if you'd never flown the competition.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I think the DOT considers the alliance, not just the airline, when awarding the HND slots. UA and AA have alliance partners in Japan, while HA and DL don't. I can see DL getting 2, or perhaps all 3, of it's requested routes. I think DL is a slam dunk for LAX-HND and likewise HA for HNL-HND.

The 767 is the best long haul plane for those flying in Y. 2-3-2 is somewhat better than 2-4-2 and much better than 3-3-3 and 3-4-3.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
DL's 767s are the best long-haul aircraft if you are riding in the back. And yes, folks actually do that.

David
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
SEA would have stood zero chance given the recent dropping IMO.
Agreed
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Austin787
I think the DOT considers the alliance, not just the airline, when awarding the HND slots. UA and AA have alliance partners in Japan, while HA and DL don't. I can see DL getting 2, or perhaps all 3, of it's requested routes. I think DL is a slam dunk for LAX-HND and likewise HA for HNL-HND.

The 767 is the best long haul plane for those flying in Y. 2-3-2 is somewhat better than 2-4-2 and much better than 3-3-3 and 3-4-3.
Yes, but it's the worst current DL wide body aircraft for D1 seats.

I guess at LHR VS flights are under the JV, so DL doesn't much care whose aircraft are better. BA/AA have some battered old planes, but I don't know how often they appear on the LHR routes.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I guess at LHR VS flights are under the JV, so DL doesn't much care whose aircraft are better.
There are a lot of criticisms of the VS seat, particularly the new one, which is pretty cramped.

BA/AA have some battered old planes, but I don't know how often they appear on the LHR routes.
Considering BA has a hub at LHR, it is probably safe to assume that some of those battered old planes fly to, you know, LHR. And they most certainly do. The average condition may not be as shabby as some of the stuff they base out of LGW, but most of the planes I've been on are pretty beat up.

In general, I think you are exaggerating both how bad the 767 is in D1 and exaggerating the standard of the product offered by the competition.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Yes, but it's the worst current DL wide body aircraft for D1 seats.
Not really. That is highly subjective.

Now, without a doubt DL 767s used to be the worst (of DL and pretty much any airline) int'l J seating when they had the old, beat up cheap recliners and DL was way behind everyone else int'l J seating wise. With the current seating it's far better than DL 777s (those are by far the worst), and really no worse (IMO) than A330s or 747s; in a way 767s are better than A330 or 747 as the screen doesn't need to be popped up, so you can enjoy the IFE programming also during the times when you couldn't on A330 and 747 as the screen has to be stowed away.

So, it's a matter of opinion. Personally I slightly prefer DL 767s J vs A330 or 747 seating.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL DM
Not gonna happen. MSP-HND is about 250sm farther than the longest 767 route DL has operated. The set of low-probability hypotheticals about which you can complain is infinite.
....at least she didn't use the word "horrid" again in description.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.