Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T-Mobile service at DTW?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2016, 12:42 pm

I'll +2 that. Still some bad spots in the US, but don't forget, AT&T wasn't perfect either, especially at ski resorts, IMHO.

So more bad spots + int'l roaming + $100 monthly savings. Easy call.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by orca15
+1

I've been using them for the price for 10 years, but the service is so good now I wouldn't think of changing even without the significant savings. I landed at VPS this week and had what used to be the standard one bar TMO Edge connection, and was very surprised...I get LTE almost everywhere nowadays. The free Intl data is huge.
Not to bring things off-topic, but I hear everyone raving about the international free data w/TMO. I always thought the free connectivity was limited to Edge speeds - has that changed or improved? I'd consider TMO as I'm tired of paying for intl roaming, but often find Edge painfully slow to use. I have another device I typically purchase local SIM cards, but it's not practical when transiting a nation or intl stays under 24 hrs.

Speaking of DTW and dead zones, I always hit a dead zone at gate A40 with AT&T. Typically when I'm using gate A40 it's for NRT or ICN departures. I have an iPhone 6S, but even w/ previous models, I'm always hitting this dead zone at gate A40.

I've heard from the airport the area is a dead zone for many mobile users. Could it be possible some type of signal blocker (or interference) is coming from CBP Immigration Hall which is directly below the gate?

SDF
Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:17 pm

It's faster than Edge. Maybe they only guarantee Edge?

It's generally not LTE for me. Well, LTE shows in the top bar as my connection type, but something limits my speeds. I haven't run an international speed test recently, but I'd peg it in the 3G range.

No question, roaming is slower than US data access. But it's really, really usable.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
3G icon (and speeds) in the couple of European places I've been since they added this feature. Plenty fast for travel needs. They make it easy to look it up by country/city.

Last edited by orca15; Apr 23, 2016 at 2:06 pm
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I connected at DTW on Thursday morning, and while walking from A60-something to A30-something with my iPhone 6 coverage was fine.

Just a datapoint.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 9:24 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Not to bring things off-topic, but I hear everyone raving about the international free data w/TMO. I always thought the free connectivity was limited to Edge speeds - has that changed or improved? I'd consider TMO as I'm tired of paying for intl roaming, but often find Edge painfully slow to use. I have another device I typically purchase local SIM cards, but it's not practical when transiting a nation or intl stays under 24 hrs.
SDF
I've always gotten 3G. Sometimes Edge in fringe coverage, but the imposed limitation wherever I've gone has been 3G (except in Canada where it's 4G LTE). Sometimes no coverage (sleeper from Zurich to Prague, bad coverage during most of the trip). 3G is enough for a voice call. I've done it sitting in an A380 at the gate at CDG.

Also Data Stash, Music Freedom, and Binge On (rollover data, streaming music from lots of different services doesn't count against your data allotment, streaming video from lots of different services doesn't count if you set it to a reduced quality (something suitable for a small screen, which looked great on my 7 inch tablet). Youtube just signed up for BingeOn after holding out. If you can live with the coverage there is no choice other than T-mobile.

If you don't want to make the leap, get a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 seven-inch cellular tablet (unlocked or from T-Mobile) off of ebay and sign up for the $20 tablet plan. Use the code FREESIM to get the SIM for free. (I say the Galaxy 3 because it's a beautiful piece of equipment for the money, around $100 in nearly new condition, but any compatible cellular tablet should work.) Try it on a trip. Then either keep the plan or cancel it. Really, it's worth paying the $20 per month just so you can have something to use on a trip without worrying.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by tanktronic
Also, free everywhere in the world. That's why I can't dump it
Which plan do you have? I love their international plan with free texting and data in *many* countries, but calling is never free and there are plenty of countries that aren't included (Try Slovenia!). Great plan, but lets not oversell it

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Not to bring things off-topic, but I hear everyone raving about the international free data w/TMO. I always thought the free connectivity was limited to Edge speeds - has that changed or improved
It is limited but faster than edge speeds and you can connect to any network including LTE. A bit slow but very workable for me. I use it in Australia occasionally when my local network is busy or slow (the advantage with T-Mobile is it connects to more than one carrier, sometimes better than having a local SIM!)
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Which plan do you have? I love their international plan with free texting and data in *many* countries, but calling is never free and there are plenty of countries that aren't included (Try Slovenia!). Great plan, but lets not oversell it

It is limited but faster than edge speeds and you can connect to any network including LTE. A bit slow but very workable for me. I use it in Australia occasionally when my local network is busy or slow (the advantage with T-Mobile is it connects to more than one carrier, sometimes better than having a local SIM!)
Making and receiving regular calls is free if you have a wi-fi enabled calling device and enable wi-fi calling, and are on wi-fi. Otherwise 20 cents per minute. You can also make regular calls using Hangouts if you set it up right. I called Delta using Hangouts from the bus on the way to FCO, taking my daughter to get on the plane, with my flight scheduled for the next day. I failed to find my flight, and called up Delta using Hangouts. They didn't resolve the problem to my satisfaction but they at least got me on a flight. And oh yeah, the Hangouts call was made using data at the regular throttled speed, and voice quality was fine. I've done speed tests and seen it at 128K or something like that.

Like you say, a bit slow but very workable. And in addition to your observation that calling airtime is not free, watch where you're calling. I suppose if you're in Rome and make a call to a phone in Paris (or Rome!), it's some godawful price per minute unless you have one of their international calling plans.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Making and receiving regular calls is free if you have a wi-fi enabled calling device and enable wi-fi calling, and are on wi-fi. Otherwise 20 cents per minute. .
I forgot about the Wifi calling. I had some poor experiences with it so I haven't tried it since.

What is a 'regular' call though?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I forgot about the Wifi calling. I had some poor experiences with it so I haven't tried it since.

What is a 'regular' call though?
A call that's not over the data service. A call from your phone's number to some telephone number. If Hangouts is associated with a Google Voice number, you can make a call to a phone number - that call will be carried over the Internet. Also, somebody can make a call to your Google Voice number and it be carried over the Internet to your phone.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: QMiles,Delta, United, Miles & More, AA, Avis, Hertz, National, SPG, Le Club Accorhotels
I use Google Fi (combo Sprint/TMo) and I have had no problem @ DTW anywhere... I use the wifi calling @ 30k ft to call my kids.. They get a kick out of me calling from a plane.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by skyrider117
I use Google Fi (combo Sprint/TMo) and I have had no problem @ DTW anywhere... I use the wifi calling @ 30k ft to call my kids.. They get a kick out of me calling from a plane.
Are you seat-mates generally cool with that?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: QMiles,Delta, United, Miles & More, AA, Avis, Hertz, National, SPG, Le Club Accorhotels
I always ask first... Some say knock yourself out... Some say I would prefer you didn't.. Others say.. Cool mind if I call my wife/kids/so.
I've had FA's ask if they could use my phone to call hotels etc...
Sometimes GOGO doesn't co-operate tho
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Michael Ad
Funny - I started a thread (got merged) about how bad T-Mobile is at LAX.

Great around LA, just basically useless at LAX.

Maybe there are higher fees for locating towers on airport property, and T-Mobile scales back there?
T-Mobile just added three new cell sites on parking structures around LAX. They should have LTE on Band 4 and 12 and should help immensely. Not sure when they're going to be activated but the panels have been up for about two weeks.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:10 am

Hoo-ray. I'll be there later this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.