Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T-Mobile service at DTW?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:02 am

Yeah - besides my LAX issues, I'm on the team that thinks T-Mobile is a great value. The worldwide part is just amazing.

But now that I think about it, I was in DTW a few weeks ago changing planes and I couldn't get my Delta app to do anything, nor could I get email, until I went on Wifi.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Michael Ad
Yeah - besides my LAX issues, I'm on the team that thinks T-Mobile is a great value.
FWIW, I recently (last month?) read that T-Mobile is aware of congestion issues at LAX and that they were in the process of adding more capacity -- adding a new macro cell site on top of the parking structure -- which is slated to come online in the relatively near future. I haven't been down there lately so it may actually already be online.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM
This might just be my own stupidity, but I can't get WiFi to connect at dtw either...it connects to the signal, but my browser never gives me the log in screen.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
I hope you're not going to Fiat-Chrysler. T-mobile is totally dead at CTC, DEAD, no bars, nada. AT&T has specific towers there though.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by tanktronic
This might just be my own stupidity, but I can't get WiFi to connect at dtw either...it connects to the signal, but my browser never gives me the log in screen.
I can't really specifically remember - are you sure you need/get a login screen there? Sometimes, they work like that, sometimes they just work, and sometimes, you need to go to a web page through their DNS to bring up the login site.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I've been with TMO for two years now, and overall pleased. Their coverage isn't as extensive as VZW (I left them for TMO) but the bill is way lower, and the international roaming has been excellent for me. I travel to Europe and Asia about a half a dozen times a year for work and sometimes add some days for vacation, and not having to worry about getting local SIMs or deal with international roaming charges has been great.

Our phone bill, for four phones and one tablet, comes to just over $135/mo with all taxes. It's a good deal, if you can live with the coverage limitations. For that, we get 3GB of LTE per device, above that it goes to 2G on the device(s) that exceeded the LTA allowance until the next billing cycle.

I think the current plans allow for more data for about the same money, but at least for us 3GB of LTE seems sufficient, we rarely exceed it.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I've been with TMO for two years now, and overall pleased. Their coverage isn't as extensive as VZW (I left them for TMO) but the bill is way lower, and the international roaming has been excellent for me. I travel to Europe and Asia about a half a dozen times a year for work and sometimes add some days for vacation, and not having to worry about getting local SIMs or deal with international roaming charges has been great.

Our phone bill, for four phones and one tablet, comes to just over $135/mo with all taxes. It's a good deal, if you can live with the coverage limitations. For that, we get 3GB of LTE per device, above that it goes to 2G on the device(s) that exceeded the LTA allowance until the next billing cycle.

I think the current plans allow for more data for about the same money, but at least for us 3GB of LTE seems sufficient, we rarely exceed it.
For somebody who can live with the coverage limitations, T-mobile cannot be touched. We have 2 phones, unlimited, $100 per month (plan no longer available). Up until 10 days ago, they were offering 4 phones, unlimited, $150. Now I think the best deal is 2 phones, 6 GB each, $80. You should actually take a look at that and see how much it would cost to get that and add your two additional phones to it, it might even be cheaper. And NOW, with Music Freedom and Binge On, the need for an unlimited plan is greatly reduced. YouTube signed up for Binge On, and my wife's data use plummeted. She listens to a lot of music on Youtube, and that pulls a lot of data because it's accompanied by video. I asked, her, are you still listening to YouTube music at work, she said yes, all day. It looks to me like she's going to come in at under 2 GB of data usage this month.

Plus yes, international. I've done voice calls sitting on board an aircraft sitting at the gate at CDG. I've hooked up while on the plane, after landing, while taxiing to the terminal. I got a new phone and gone to Canada twice since getting it, and it automatically switched when we crossed the border. All no extra cost.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michael Ad
I can't really specifically remember - are you sure you need/get a login screen there? Sometimes, they work like that, sometimes they just work, and sometimes, you need to go to a web page through their DNS to bring up the login site.
Was just at DTW yesterday and definitely had to go through the web portal first to get the Wifi working. I believe the free service is limited to 6Mbps which should be enough for voice. Didn't use it extensively as I only had a few minutes until flight starting boarding, but it seemed reasonably responsive. Normally use the Sky Club wifi, but didn't have time to stop at a club.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
I concur on the DTW issue. I am good pretty much everywhere in the country and had great service in Ireland (free). In DTW, especially center, I have nothing. I found that the SkyClub at the high numbered gates is good. I can make any calls there.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Disregard this post. Keep scrolling, I'm to much of an idiot to know how to delete a simple post -_-

Last edited by TheLifeOfA_NKCM; Apr 20, 2016 at 4:37 pm
Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by joepercussion1
Contact T-Mobile Support. They are very helpful with these kinds of issues. I am sure they would want to know this so they can work to get a resolution in place. It isn't like this is only affecting one person...
Contacted the office of the president when the huge outage happened (even said I wasn't effected) with an email full of suggestions. Got $40 and my suggestions got sent to marketing, I'm a happy camper

Sure there service isn't as good as VZW just yet (though its rapidly improving), but man the CS.
BTW, I understand that T-Mobile has rolled out their [and 12 coverage at DTW which provides MUCH better coverage but of course your phone has to support it (my does which explains why I personally haven't had any issues).
+1; I have a Galaxy S6 and the service for me has been excellent. I attribute a lot of that in dense areas like airports to band 12, and Detroit also just got hooked up in November. Avg DL speeds range around 30-60mbps at airports, detroit included (maybe somehow I'm lucky -just never had problems). 100/25 avg at my house. Then Binge On, Music Freedom, and Jump/Jump On demand. Only paying $15/month (well phone not data) -for an S6! Likely will get an S7 later this year.

Off topic stuff starts here..

I remember one time being bumped and stuck at DTW with no access to the SC for several hours earlier in the last year, people complain about boring. Try being out w/ the over-reactive pax trying to get on a flight that wont be screwed up with a bunch of HKrs on it -with no VDB waivers (okay, it's not like we should get them, but still) and work the following day; not fun. Well at least it wasn't as bad as the time when I had to drive from MCO to Indianapolis and then get a seat in the dead back that incidentally didn't recline but still, it sucked!

Last edited by TheLifeOfA_NKCM; Apr 20, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Old Apr 22, 2016, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Just went through DTW. Used wifi in the club, but had to make some last minute blog posts while on the plane. Was using T-Mobile with hotspot to post from Ipad. Seemed to work okay.

TMobile is awesome for intl travel. We are normally on ATT for that that is worth, but did TM for one month while on our RTW trip (www.rtw40.com)
Old Apr 23, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Formerly UA 1P/Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
I would go further and say that T-Mobile is useless everywhere.
This. I suffered with TMO for a year. Never again.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pauly_long
This. I suffered with TMO for a year. Never again.
When was this and where are you and where do you go that you need service? I know what you mean. In 2007, I believe, I got a t-mobile prepaid flip phone, and we had to stand in one particular spot in our house to use it. In 20011 I got a t-mobile smartphone and I got basically no data coverage in my office (very good elsewhere). Then Hurricane Irene happened and the tower got blown down. But they were able to rebuild it. They had the technology. They were able to make it better...stronger...faster...

I don't go to remote or rural areas, and I get fast, solid coverage almost everywhere - almost everywhere. There are still some irritating gaps, but for me they're small and infrequent. If your horrible year was even 2 or 3 years ago, and you just go to well-covered places on their map, they are worth thinking about.

And the free international roaming is seriously awesome. You can get cheap cellular tablets off of ebay and you can get a 2 GB plan for $20 per month. That will give you international roaming. It says 2G but I have always gotten 3G (spotty coverage sometimes though).

I know what you mean about the coverage, but they're continuing to improve.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
... I get fast, solid coverage almost everywhere - almost everywhere...And the free international roaming is seriously awesome.
+1

I've been using them for the price for 10 years, but the service is so good now I wouldn't think of changing even without the significant savings. I landed at VPS this week and had what used to be the standard one bar TMO Edge connection, and was very surprised...I get LTE almost everywhere nowadays. The free Intl data is huge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.