Delayed Bags Nonsense!

Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Delayed Bags Nonsense!

So Delta offers 2500 miles if your bags are delayed more than 20 minutes.

o.k., fair enough.

So our "Priority" bags with an LAS final destination, were shipped off to MSP instead of CVG (our connecting airport), despite being properly tagged.

To simplify the story, our bags were finally delivered in the middle of the night after a seven hour delay.

Compensation? 2500 miles.

Am I missing something here?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:49 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Here'z the FT post about the 2,500 mile program - with 536 posts to peruse:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...n-baggage.html

Here's the DL.com page about the "Bags On Time" guarantee and claim submission form:

https://www.delta.com/bags/bagsClaimAutomation.action

My recollection from that long thread, is, that some people submitted claims for lost bags - returned to your house - and, there's a difference between delayed bags - and lost bags!!! I know, it sounds pretty funny! I did search thru the fine print on DL.com, and I can't find anything about this. Unless . . . .

Maybe they'll try'n use this line in the fine print to get out of paying you:

Delta Air Lines reserves the right to suspend this baggage service guarantee at any time and without prior notice in the event of an airport baggage system malfunction, severe weather, or other conditions out of Delta's control that would prevent timely baggage delivery.

I guess, you could submit a general customer service complaint eMail, and hopefully get more than 2500 miles.

Last edited by davetravels; Apr 19, 2016 at 8:42 am
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:58 am

There's a difference between bags arriving on-time but after 20 minutes and delayed bags. I believe the distinction is made on the promotional cards.

I think it says that delayed bags are not eligible for that specific form of compensation at Delta.com/bagsontime. Instead, other mediums for compensation should be sought for mishandled baggage.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Um, duh. File a complaint and they will compensate you for whatever your 'damages' may be.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Widgets
There's a difference between bags arriving on-time but after 20 minutes and delayed bags. I believe the distinction is made on the promotional cards.

I think it says that delayed bags are not eligible for that specific form of compensation at Delta.com/bagsontime. Instead, other mediums for compensation should be sought for mishandled baggage.
DL mishandled my baggage twice last year. The first time I was told that mishandled baggage did not qualify for the guarantee.

The second time I was told that language had been removed and to submit the claim. I did receive the 2500 miles that time.

David
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by yogimax
So Delta offers 2500 miles if your bags are delayed more than 20 minutes.

o.k., fair enough.

So our "Priority" bags with an LAS final destination, were shipped off to MSP instead of CVG (our connecting airport), despite being properly tagged.

To simplify the story, our bags were finally delivered in the middle of the night after a seven hour delay.

Compensation? 2500 miles.

Am I missing something here?
Where did you start? Within the last few months, I was on the CDG-MSP nonstop in D1 with my bag properly tagged, including the SkyPriority colored paper flag, but it was inexplicably rerouted onto a CDG-DTW flight that was scheduled for almost exactly the same time (plus/minus five minutes). Both were DL operated. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why someone would do this.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Did you have to go purchase and personal items/toiletries due to the bags being that late? If so, DL will reimburse you for them if you submit a receipt.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:31 am

Just looking for some advice. Here are the details.

JFK check-n representative put the wrong label on my suitcase and sent it to Barcelona instead of Madrid. It took two days to get the suitcase to my hotel in Madrid. Since I had a business dinner the first night I had to buy clothes. The receipt for a reasonable amount has been sent to Delta (more than $50.00).

My question is what is a reasonable amount of SkyMiles compensation should I expect in addition to the cash payment for out-of-pocket expenses (I know it's 2.500 on domestic flights for the slightest delay and that this is a European case). If it's of any consequence, I've been a medallion member for more years than I'd like to believe.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Question to all...

Is there signage at your home airport baggage area alerting folks to the 20 minute guarantee? If so, where is it?

At PHL, for a while, it was conspicuously posted atop the baggage carousel.

Now, it has been moved to an out-of-the-way location near the baggage office (an area not visible from the carousel).

PHL is, has been, and always will be terrible with respect to handling baggage.

No wonder that DL appears to be engaging in a bit of subterfuge here.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Originally Posted by rylan
Did you have to go purchase and personal items/toiletries due to the bags being that late? If so, DL will reimburse you for them if you submit a receipt.
This

If your bag doesn't arrive and you need to purchase some item(s) to wear or for a meeting so long as they are reasonable and you keep the receipts Delta will reimburse you. It took days for my bags to get to Hawaii once and I just kept all the receipts. Delta reimbursed me without question for all my work and recreational items. I kept my purchases to a Target/ABC store level.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by spinmeister

JFK check-n representative put the wrong label on my suitcase and sent it to Barcelona instead of Madrid. It took two days to get the suitcase to my hotel in Madrid. Since I had a business dinner the first night I had to buy clothes. The receipt for a reasonable amount has been sent to Delta (more than $50.00).

My question is what is a reasonable amount of SkyMiles compensation should I expect in addition to the cash payment for out-of-pocket expenses (I know it's 2.500 on domestic flights for the slightest delay and that this is a European case). If it's of any consequence, I've been a medallion member for more years than I'd like to believe.
I had no problem getting reimbursed for purchases when my suitcase was delayed on a CDG-LHR-BOS itinerary. Weather shortened the LHR connection. I ran and made the LHR-BOS flight but the bag didn't; it ended up being delayed 48 hours. My purchases came to about $140 at a nordstrom sale. I didn't request or expect further compensation; in my opinion the compensation was the new clothes. This happened before the 2,500 skymiles compensation was in effect.

After it arrived in BOS my suitcase was delivered to me in Providence at the time I requested.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

How does the wrong city get placed? Was there a previous sticker on the bag for BCN? INcluding those small little ones they place?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:46 pm

I would try for 10k maximum, but I'd settle for 5k if offered anything. Always watch the agent tag all your bags if you can. Also double check that the claim checks you receive match both your itinerary and your name.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Widgets
I would try for 10k maximum, but I'd settle for 5k if offered anything. Always watch the agent tag all your bags if you can. Also double check that the claim checks you receive match both your itinerary and your name.
Widgets, how does an agent print a tag for the wrong airport? I thought this would auto-populate.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Question to all...

Is there signage at your home airport baggage area alerting folks to the 20 minute guarantee? If so, where is it?

At PHL, for a while, it was conspicuously posted atop the baggage carousel.

Now, it has been moved to an out-of-the-way location near the baggage office (an area not visible from the carousel).

PHL is, has been, and always will be terrible with respect to handling baggage.

No wonder that DL appears to be engaging in a bit of subterfuge here.
I've seen the sign at a handful of airports but I don't believe it's at MSP. If I'm waiting and we've hit the 20 minute mark, I make a point to announce the 2500 mile bonus we are getting to whomever is within earshot. I'm sure at least a dozen people have claimed it that wouldn't have normally claimed it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.