Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Bombardier and Delta near deal for 125 CSeries jets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

I know this has been talked about in various threads, including the death of the E-190 order, but I feel like it deserves its own thread with its own more logical and searchable title. If mods disagree, please feel free to merge.

Per WSJ this afternoon, with new details beyond what has been previously reported:

A final agreement between the Atlanta-based airline and Bombardier for 75 firm orders and options for 50 more is expected by the end of April when the carrier’s board meets to review the proposed deal, the people said.
The order would replace Delta's oldest MD-88s. The article does not say this, but I assume it would also replace the E-190s that Delta was set to take from Boeing (hence why it's in the E-190 thread.)

Link: (Subscribers) http://www.wsj.com/articles/bombardi...lta-1460664819

Discuss.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:04 pm

3/2 seating with much better fuel economy/range than the MD's

Enough range to cover the US48 + anywhere in CA that DL flies to/from anywhere else.

Assuming the bugs have been properly worked out, I for one look forward to the MD's roasting in the desert sun where they belong!
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kop84
3/2 seating with much better fuel economy/range than the MD's

Enough range to cover the US48 + anywhere in CA that DL flies to/from anywhere else.

Assuming the bugs have been properly worked out, I for one look forward to the MD's roasting in the desert sun where they belong!
I agree, though I suspect we're about to wind up with fewer F seats than the MDs have. Otherwise, though, I'm looking forward to the continued modernization of Delta's narrowbody fleet.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Am I the only one who likes the Mad Dogs?

Still looking forward to the CSeries though.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by WWads

Not at all. I love me some mad dog. Way better than the 319 or 320s we get otherwise.

3-2 seating is just so much better than 3-3.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jfadool
Not at all. I love me some mad dog. Way better than the 319 or 320s we get otherwise.

3-2 seating is just so much better than 3-3.
Agree. If every plane Delta orders from here on out has sets of 2 seats I'd be a happy person.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Agree. If every plane Delta orders from here on out has sets of 2 seats I'd be a happy person.
That would be great for narrow bodies, but on the 777 that would get pretty cramped in the middle! 2 - 5 - 2!
Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
I know this has been talked about in various threads, including the death of the E-190 order, but I feel like it deserves its own thread with its own more logical and searchable title. If mods disagree, please feel free to merge.

Per WSJ this afternoon, with new details beyond what has been previously reported:

The order would replace Delta's oldest MD-88s. The article does not say this, but I assume it would also replace the E-190s that Delta was set to take from Boeing (hence why it's in the E-190 thread.)

Link: (Subscribers) http://www.wsj.com/articles/bombardi...lta-1460664819

Discuss.
I see a CS100 and a CS300. The 100 model can carry in upwards of 108 total pax in a two class config whereas the 300 will haul up to 130 in a two class config. The MD88 can hold 149 pax. Either version of the C series falls way short of this. Either variant on the other hand can fly 3000 plus miles so it can fill a wide variety of DL needs.

If this story is true, DL must have gotten these for an insanely cheap price. Who knows, maybe Bombardier paid DL to take them!

Last edited by DL2SXM; Apr 14, 2016 at 4:11 pm
Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
That would be great for narrow bodies, but on the 777 that would get pretty cramped in the middle! 2 - 5 - 2!
AA and (IIRC) UA used to have exactly that layout.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC

Love the MD's. in the back the wife and I prefer the two side. Up front, its nice to see that they have apparently put ovens back in.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
And I'm sure everyone in the double middle loved it!
Old Apr 14, 2016, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
Unfortunately I knew this day would come. Seeing Delta without the MD88 though would be like seeing B6 without the A320 or WN without the 737-700. Glad it seems like though the C-Series is an excellent aircraft to replace them with.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC

Nope - I love the mad dogs
Old Apr 14, 2016, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Still do.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Probably end up with 12F instead of 16F though...

Guess it'll be interesting to see how DL does with a new and relatively unproven design in terms of reliability. Lets hope these don't end up being MX lemons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.