Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta providing pre-board for corporate clients

Delta providing pre-board for corporate clients

Old Apr 5, 16, 9:15 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MSP
Programs: DL DM / MM - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Posts: 1,333
Delta providing pre-board for corporate clients

I was on a call with my company this morning discussing my client, Delta, and learned that Delta will start giving our employees pre-board due to our volume of business with them. We do roughly $25m a year with Delta. They are #3 in airline spend. No idea of the specifics, ie at what level they will board. Just thought it was very interesting.

Anyone else heard this for other customers?
lucycan is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 9:28 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Huntsville, AL
Programs: DL PM 1.53MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Posts: 7,278
Originally Posted by lucycan View Post
I was on a call with my company this morning discussing my client, Delta, and learned that Delta will start giving our employees pre-board due to our volume of business with them. We do roughly $25m a year with Delta. They are #3 in airline spend. No idea of the specifics, ie at what level they will board. Just thought it was very interesting.

Anyone else heard this for other customers?
Interesting. One of my coworkers got an e-mail from Delta a month or so back that he would be given access to preferred seats because of our corporate business.

He's the only one I've heard that from, but he's fallen from Gold/Platinum to general member in the past few years.

David
DiverDave is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 9:44 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 417
Preferred seats and Zone 1:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_....html#skymiles
davisew is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 10:11 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,643
Back in the day MSP had a private TA area for large corporate customers. (Maybe someone can confirm if it's still there?) Back in the 90s my inquiries about better seats were usually accommodated. It was also nice to be able to sit on couches and wait to be called instead of waiting in line.
motytrah is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 10:11 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,879
By pre-board, does Delta mean Zone 1? That's what some passengers with a corporate travel SSR currently get.
Widgets is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 11:12 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SEA
Posts: 119
FWIW, I've noticed a special check-in area in SEA dedicated just for Microsoft but I couldn't say if it includes any added benefits (priority boarding, preferred seats, etc.).
AgentCooper is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 1:48 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 48,387
If "Pre Board" means boarding earlier than the passenger's status and ticket class/fare basis would ordinarily provide, that has been around for ages and UA & AA do something very similar as well.

Zone # is simply baked into the coding and if your ticket is issued by your enrolled corporate TA, it is coded with whatever it is that gets you the higher priority. Same thing for flexibility on otherwise non-flex fares and the like.
Often1 is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 2:23 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York
Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL DM360 1MM
Posts: 589
Sounds like the conversation between a DL corporate sales person and a travel procurement manager who never takes a plane, selling something as a perk that
- is not needed by the truly frequent travelers
- not known by the non frequent travelers ("oh I got zone 1, no idea why so I don't care that this is a perk of flying DL")
mayhem is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 2:49 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: XXX and sometimes YYY
Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
Posts: 440
Oh goodness. I hope they just don't add another boarding zone.
securesmaskfirst is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 3:47 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SEA once more (previously CDG and NRT)
Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a free agent
Posts: 2,265
Originally Posted by AgentCooper View Post
FWIW, I've noticed a special check-in area in SEA dedicated just for Microsoft but I couldn't say if it includes any added benefits (priority boarding, preferred seats, etc.).
It is check-in only.
SEA-Flyer is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 3:54 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Detroit, MI USA
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 5,228
Originally Posted by motytrah View Post
Back in the day MSP had a private TA area for large corporate customers. (Maybe someone can confirm if it's still there?) Back in the 90s my inquiries about better seats were usually accommodated. It was also nice to be able to sit on couches and wait to be called instead of waiting in line.
Prior to the merger, NW had a private check in area behind the glass doors adjacent to security in the new terminal. We were traveling on a broadcast uniting a military mom and her son as a surprise, and we were checked in there. I was told it was for use by Ford motor company. I am sure it is there (looked a lot like the decor of the (then) WorldClub), but I don't know if it is still used.
bubbashow is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 4:01 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,192
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
Prior to the merger, NW had a private check in area behind the glass doors adjacent to security in the new terminal. We were traveling on a broadcast uniting a military mom and her son as a surprise, and we were checked in there. I was told it was for use by Ford motor company. I am sure it is there (looked a lot like the decor of the (then) WorldClub), but I don't know if it is still used.
The priority/private check in at DTW for Ford goes back at least twenty years. I don't know if it ever gave boarding priority.
3Cforme is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 6:47 pm
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 90,399
To me, it's the reported access to preferred seats that's problematic. It seems wrong to expect top tier elites who purchase expensive (coach) tickets close to departure to be more likely to get middle seats in the back because someone who rarely travels DL but works for a certain company grabbed a prime aisle seat.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 7:08 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Detroit, MI USA
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 5,228
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
To me, it's the reported access to preferred seats that's problematic. It seems wrong to expect top tier elites who purchase expensive (coach) tickets close to departure to be more likely to get middle seats in the back because someone who rarely travels DL but works for a certain company grabbed a prime aisle seat.
A corporate contract is MUCH more valuable to DL than any individual flyer. Perks are well deserved for that corporate contract traveler
bubbashow is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 8:08 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hands of Fate
Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL PM MM, HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE, Uber Gold
Posts: 4,801
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
A corporate contract is MUCH more valuable to DL than any individual flyer. Perks are well deserved for that corporate contract traveler
Perks are well deserved for the company, not the traveler. The contract traveler is likely to be obligated to travel via DL by company policy, the preferred seat provides no further incentive (though certainly nice to have for the traveler).

OTOH, lack of preferred seats can provide disincentive to a Medallion without a corporate contract, and that Medallion has flexibility to choose another carrier. And in the aggregate, the collection of Medallions is probably worth MUCH more to DL[1] than any individual corporate contract, especially when selecting for higher-value last minute purchasers who are most likely to be affected by the lack of decent seats.

[1] Using the $25M number upthread, given that a DM must spend at least $18000 (MQD + taxes), it takes only about 1400 DMs to exceed that spend (which is the equivalent of 1 per 10 flights operated each day). And that completely ignores the rest of the Medallion tiers. And it also ignores that corporate contracts gets discounts, whereas unaffiliated Medallions are paying list price (ie: more for the same ticket).

Last edited by bennos; Apr 5, 16 at 8:18 pm
bennos is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: