Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta providing pre-board for corporate clients

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta providing pre-board for corporate clients

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I have long suspected that such policies exist. My spouse is a management consultant with one of the big firms. He, a PM, was traveling with a non-status colleague who was on her own PNR, and she was upgraded at the gate without ever requesting an upgrade. Coach was not oversold. She seemed to have some low-level unpublished upgrade priority (it seemed to be after medallions).
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bubbashow
A corporate contract is MUCH more valuable to DL than any individual flyer. Perks are well deserved for that corporate contract traveler
Do you really think some major company is going to switch its corporate travel contract from DL to UA (or Spirit) because some intern or management trainee (maybe a young kid with a MBA) didn't get a preferred aisle seat for their first business trip?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:56 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Often1
If "Pre Board" means boarding earlier than the passenger's status and ticket class/fare basis would ordinarily provide, that has been around for ages and UA & AA do something very similar as well...
How are they summoned chez UA or AA?

I have never experienced any such call that prioritises something nebulous over F/GS/1K/EXP ....
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Heck, DL is allowing priority boarding just for people wearing the jerseys of crappy baseball teams...

http://airport.blog.ajc.com/2016/04/...rity-boarding/

(Also find it hilarious that this article, about the Mets and Yankees, has a photo of the Nats mascots at DCA...)
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:47 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I have long suspected that such policies exist. My spouse is a management consultant with one of the big firms. He, a PM, was traveling with a non-status colleague who was on her own PNR, and she was upgraded at the gate without ever requesting an upgrade. Coach was not oversold. She seemed to have some low-level unpublished upgrade priority (it seemed to be after medallions).
Perhaps she had a full Y ticket?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by bennos
Perks are well deserved for the company, not the traveler. The contract traveler is likely to be obligated to travel via DL by company policy, the preferred seat provides no further incentive (though certainly nice to have for the traveler).

OTOH, lack of preferred seats can provide disincentive to a Medallion without a corporate contract, and that Medallion has flexibility to choose another carrier. And in the aggregate, the collection of Medallions is probably worth MUCH more to DL[1] than any individual corporate contract, especially when selecting for higher-value last minute purchasers who are most likely to be affected by the lack of decent seats.

[1] Using the $25M number upthread, given that a DM must spend at least $18000 (MQD + taxes), it takes only about 1400 DMs to exceed that spend (which is the equivalent of 1 per 10 flights operated each day). And that completely ignores the rest of the Medallion tiers. And it also ignores that corporate contracts gets discounts, whereas unaffiliated Medallions are paying list price (ie: more for the same ticket).
That $25 million contract likely results in Delta acquiring a whole bunch of DM, PM, and GM travellers. If they have to throw a an occasional perk to a non-medallion traveler, it is probably worth it to them.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:14 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
That $25 million contract likely results in Delta acquiring a whole bunch of DM, PM, and GM travellers. If they have to throw a an occasional perk to a non-medallion traveler, it is probably worth it to them.
And anyone that can't see that because of the myopic blinders of "medallion" self worth can't possibly claim to have even the basic understanding of how business works.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: DL-PM; Marriott-Plat; SPG (soon RIP) - Plat, and e/t connected to AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by lucycan
I was on a call with my company this morning discussing my client, Delta, and learned that Delta will start giving our employees pre-board due to our volume of business with them. We do roughly $25m a year with Delta. They are #3 in airline spend. No idea of the specifics, ie at what level they will board. Just thought it was very interesting.

Anyone else heard this for other customers?
Hiring? (for a friend, obviously - not me, who's obsessed with DL status for some reason).
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:28 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To me, it's the reported access to preferred seats that's problematic.
I've been the beneficiary of this. I try to stick with AA, and wasn't even aware that my company had any contract with Delta, as we have a small North American presence... though as a Dutch company based in Amsterdam, perhaps there is one with KLM that also included benefits on DL due to the JV?

Last year, for a last minute trip, someone within my company booked my ticket for me and put me on DL. In spite of the late timing, it was not a full-fare ticket. However, I was surprised to find that, as a non-elite member, I was able to select from all preferred seats (including the exit rows) and received Zone 1 boarding.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you really think some major company is going to switch its corporate travel contract from DL to UA (or Spirit) because some intern or management trainee (maybe a young kid with a MBA) didn't get a preferred aisle seat for their first business trip?
You are correct that one person not getting a good seat would be unable to sway corporate policy. But I"m guessing that most companies have a small percentage dedicated travelers that are on the road all the time, but that number is dwarfed by the number of employees that travel 1-5 times a year. (by overall employees not number of trips)

And if a majority of travelers who don't have DL status complain about not having seat assignments or middle seats in the back, or always having to check their carry-on with group 17 boarding, that might be enough to force a change to another airline that will give them that.

It's possible that the company could have 150 people (that took 300 trips) are unhappy with DL, 5 road warriors (that also took 300 trips) are happy with DL and the company writes it up as 150 vs 5...we're going to start looking for a new airline.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by AgentCooper
FWIW, I've noticed a special check-in area in SEA dedicated just for Microsoft but I couldn't say if it includes any added benefits (priority boarding, preferred seats, etc.).
Unfortunately that section freezes up periodically and has to be rebooted, at which point everyone has to go back through TSA screening.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by weero
How are they summoned chez UA or AA?

I have never experienced any such call that prioritises something nebulous over F/GS/1K/EXP ....
It's simply a higher boarding priority on your BP. You would receive Zone 1 when you would otherwise have been in Zone 5. There is nothing special about it.

As others note, this is a throwaway item for the carrier and the employer alike as the items which move the contract are the % discount, flexibility for otherwise non-flexible fare buckets and an assurance of top-tier treatment for some specified number of designated people (e.g., GS at UA for the top people).
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: DL GM, RIP SPG
As a consultant for one of the "big four" I've certainly never received any boarding zone upgrades based on my corporate ticket. Not sure what my company spends with Delta a year, but it has to be well north of $25mm...
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by DrCordell
As a consultant for one of the "big four" I've certainly never received any boarding zone upgrades based on my corporate ticket. Not sure what my company spends with Delta a year, but it has to be well north of $25mm...
Are you booking through the company's corporate TA and at the company's corporate rate?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by gooselee
Heck, DL is allowing priority boarding just for people wearing the jerseys of crappy baseball teams...

http://airport.blog.ajc.com/2016/04/...rity-boarding/

(Also find it hilarious that this article, about the Mets and Yankees, has a photo of the Nats mascots at DCA...)
Thats the AJC's fine reporting at work.....

Who isn't zone 1 now?

Soon Zone 2 & 3 will have like 3 people in it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.