Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL suspending ATL-BRU for the long term

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL suspending ATL-BRU for the long term

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by UAalltheway
If you go to do a booking on DL.com on April 8th the plane shows as 767 but when you click the seat map it is an A330. Not sure what that means, or if it's an IT glitch.
Always believe the seat map.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: Flying blue
If you go to do a booking on DL.com on April 8th the plane shows as 767 but when you click the seat map it is an A330. Not sure what that means, or if it's an IT glitch.
Oh I see now. It says "Aircraft: Airbus a330-300", but seatmap still looks like an 767, it does not look like an A330-300?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: DM/3MM
While Belgium as a tourist destination is debatable, it still remains the seat of the EU so travel demand will always be there. I'm just happy DL is keeping the JFK flight and hope they don't pull out of BRU completely, which is a Star Alliance strong-hold. (AA didn't service BRU before they acquired the routes from US airways)
Brussels is also where NATO headquarters is located. I'd think that, combined with the EU headquarters, there can be quite a bit of business travel to Brussels. No idea how many flights are needed to support that traffic, but I'd imagine that NATO's presence contributes quite a bit.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: Free Agent, Any Status is Accidental
Originally Posted by nguaroth
Oh I see now. It says "Aircraft: Airbus a330-300", but seatmap still looks like an 767, it does not look like an A330-300?
True.. it's 2-3-2 and not 2-4-2 like the A330. Maybe it's an IT glitch.. We will see I guess.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Brussels is also where NATO headquarters is located. I'd think that, combined with the EU headquarters, there can be quite a bit of business travel to Brussels. No idea how many flights are needed to support that traffic, but I'd imagine that NATO's presence contributes quite a bit.
This would partly depend on which (USA) airlines have the government contracts for the BRU routes. Note that trips over eights hours are usually authorized for business class.

However, since DL usually has relatively decent award availability on the BRU flights (compared to much of the rest of western Europe), I suspect that the BRU routes don't perform especially well for DL.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: Flying blue
True.. it's 2-3-2 and not 2-4-2 like the A330. Maybe it's an IT glitch.. We will see I guess.
It appears the flight is no longer bookable until 18/05 either.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:31 am

I am affected too.. Flight DL80 is still "on time" but cannot be found for new bookings. I called german delta hotline and they first told me they didnt know about it, and then they told me I have to call delta belgium, because the flight is from belgium and I automaticly get booked over delta belgium when departing from brussel. LOL? Delta belgium is not reachable by phone.. (Always getting "All lines are busy" error.. Tried about 50 times over 1.5 days)

I thought I would get better service when booking @ delta directly instead using a OTA.. Does not seem so

Last edited by Schranzmaster; Apr 7, 2016 at 4:33 am Reason: Edit
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Schranzmaster
I am affected too.. Flight DL80 is still "on time" but cannot be found for new bookings. I called german delta hotline and they first told me they didnt know about it, and then they told me I have to call delta belgium, because the flight is from belgium and I automaticly get booked over delta belgium when departing from brussel. LOL? Delta belgium is not reachable by phone.. (Always getting "All lines are busy" error.. Tried about 50 times over 1.5 days)

I thought I would get better service when booking @ delta directly instead using a OTA.. Does not seem so

I always call directly to the US reservations line (elite line) using Skype on my computer.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:56 am

I always call directly to the US reservations line (elite line) using Skype on my computer.
I am not so good in english - thats the problem

Anybody sees chances to get a rebooking to frankfurt? They told me I only can choose between CDG, AMS, LUX or DUS... CDG is too far away... All other airports dont offer nonstop flights
Old Apr 7, 2016, 7:51 am

I'm actually surprised Delta decided to cancel ATL-BRU instead of JFK-BRU.

ATL-BRU had slightly higher fares and Y load factors, and significantly higher J load factors:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3960...terror-attacks
Old Apr 7, 2016, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ruckzac
I'm actually surprised Delta decided to cancel ATL-BRU instead of JFK-BRU.

ATL-BRU had slightly higher fares and Y load factors, and significantly higher J load factors:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3960...terror-attacks
That's surprising as I would expect JFK to get not only the business/diplomatic travel but also more European tourist interest as, with few exceptions, a Belgian coming to the USA would prefer to see NYC rather than Atlanta.

I suspect DL didn't have a government contract for the JFK route (maybe they did for ATL which could explain the reported higher fares and perhaps coach load factors) but does anyone know what is the government contract carrier for various TATL routes to BRU?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's surprising as I would expect JFK to get not only the business/diplomatic travel but also more European tourist interest as, with few exceptions, a Belgian coming to the USA would prefer to see NYC rather than Atlanta.

I suspect DL didn't have a government contract for the JFK route (maybe they did for ATL which could explain the reported higher fares and perhaps coach load factors) but does anyone know what is the government contract carrier for various TATL routes to BRU?
I agree-- I was also surprised. My only explanation is that NYC-BRU is primarily O/D traffic, whereas ATL has increased volume from connecting passengers since ATL is an easier airport to connect through (especially for int'l).
Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:47 am

Still not happy... Filed a complain... Got response: Blah blah.. you still have to contact Delta Belgium... Delta Belgium Hotline is dead since days.

Tried calling Delta USA - 45min Waittime - Callback does not work from germany - No thanks!

Then tried twitter... First: Call the hotline Second: They rearranged me on a 15h30min Flight with 2 stops instead that they gave me the requested 13h30min route...

I dont know if somebody know fluege.de - It seems Delta Direct isnt better than Unister... And thats really a shame.

Last edited by Schranzmaster; Apr 8, 2016 at 2:47 am Reason: Edit
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:02 am

The first JFK-BRU flight has landed in BRU! The return flight will head back soon, and it looks like everything is off to a smooth start.

Press release from DL here: http://news.delta.com/delta-set-resu...-emotional-day
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
UA holds the contract for NYC-BRU. AA for ATL-BRU.
https://cpsearch.fas.gsa.gov/cpsearc...o?method=enter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.