Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL suspending ATL-BRU for the long term

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL suspending ATL-BRU for the long term

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
They had 2x daily to EWR?
UA had added a second frequency to compensate for SN downgauging their service to NYC. Unfortunately, it does not seem like it will be sticking around for the foreseeable future.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I have read of proposals to pre-screen PAX before they get to the primary security checkpoints. But, would that not just move the bottleneck out further without eliminating the bottleneck?
For some airports which I've used, there is indeed some moving of the bottleneck; but it has also often created another bottleneck without eliminating the pre-existing bottleneck that was where the most substantial bottleneck already existed to go from airport entrance to airside.

Note that many DL and other airlines' major hub airports have been shifting toward more centralized screening. That centralizes a bottleneck.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
For some airports which I've used, there is indeed some moving of the bottleneck; but it has also often created another bottleneck without eliminating the pre-existing bottleneck that was where the most substantial bottleneck already existed to go from airport entrance to airside.

Note that many DL and other airlines' major hub airports have been shifting toward more centralized screening. That centralizes a bottleneck.
I actually preferred gate security at AMS. The fewer centralized masses of people, the better.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 10:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WWads
I actually preferred gate security at AMS. The fewer centralized masses of people, the better.
The AMS centralization -- including dealing with DL's ridiculous security contractors who have also become more centralized too -- has turned me off from AMS-US flying. DL will be seeing me less on its AMS-US flights because of this, even as AMS had already become more of a drag ever since the taxi times there became some of the worst in Europe for my TATL trips.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingWithers
The entire place is dysfunctional, at least on the two-language front.
Belgium has three official languages, actually... Not sure what's dysfunctional about that.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Speculation. While the chance of dying in a car accident is higher in a vacuum than dying in a terrorist attack in Belgium, you have no idea what the specific risk of a terror attack is for April 21 to 27 in Brussels. This risk calculation would shift dramatically for example if a terrorist cell was already scoping out your planned accommodation in Brussels for an attack over the next month or so - which we have no knowledge of. But our lack of knowledge does not mean it's not happening.

I'm not saying anyone should shift their travel plans based on factors they don't know but the general statistical calculation doesn't always hold as much value as people think. Prior to January 30th 1933 a Jew in Germany was more likely to die in a household accident than to be killed by agents of the state. That statistical calculation shifted dramatically because of *specific* dynamic circumstances. Accidents are accidents, political violence is targeted and subject to dramatic and at times sudden increases on behest of those eager to perpetrate it.
Yeah - I don't live with this kind of fear (terrorists scoping out my accommodation).

Next week, I'll be driving a Porsche 911 at extreme speeds in Bavaria all week and mountaineering in the alps.

I don't worry about terrorists, nor does my family.

TFD
Old Apr 2, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
It's officially announced:

http://news.delta.com/atlanta-brusse...vice-suspended
Old Apr 2, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Since I have a ticket booked on this route, what is my best course of action... Does Delta automatically rebook, do I contact them?

I know they mentioned keeping the New-York route open... but I'd prefer a different connecting city.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: Free Agent, Any Status is Accidental
Originally Posted by dimramon
Since I have a ticket booked on this route, what is my best course of action... Does Delta automatically rebook, do I contact them?

I know they mentioned keeping the New-York route open... but I'd prefer a different connecting city.
My upcoming itinerary BRU-ATL is still showing confirmed... current DL elite line holds are long so I will try to call tomorrow to get rebooked BRU-JFK + connections. In my experience (maybe in part due to being elite) DL has been extremely flexible and good to me in irrops situations, allowing change of origin airport, etc. if you would prefer to fly out of CDG or AMS (or another European gateway) instead. Once the official cancellations hit your itinerary you will probably be given the option of selecting an alternate route with BRU-JFK being the first flight, but you can call and ask for what you want.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally if time were not an issue for someone and one had another Skyteam program, I would ask to be FIM'd onto something via LHR or FRA with BA or LH and then essentially get double miles.

Or the most expedient thing would just be to fly via JFK,
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hfly
Personally if time were not an issue for someone and one had another Skyteam program, I would ask to be FIM'd onto something via LHR or FRA with BA or LH and then essentially get double miles.

Or the most expedient thing would just be to fly via JFK,
DL isn't going to put you on a non-DL/Skyteam flight when they still have JFK-BRU, and partners can fly you from LHR/CDG/AMS. No reason for them to toss you onto BA or LH.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
The couple of times I'd had flight canceled far enough ahead of time to do something about it (these were "spot cancelations" -- just one days flight canceled, not the whole service) Delta was very accommodating about switching the flight (leaving from FRA instead of MUC, etc). But I'm sure there is a mileage limit -- departing from WAW or IST instead of BRU would probably be a harder sell
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

flyerCO, while in normal circumstances you might be correct, in this circumstance it is dependent on date. If they are collapsing two flights into one essentially, this may mean that on certain dates they might NOT be able to accomodate you on the DL flight, in which case they will of course insist first on a ST flight, but then again maybe not. It also has to do with your status.

Says someone who not so long ago was FIM'd onto an IB/BA codeshare rather than an AF/KL deal without me even asking them to do so.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:02 am

I called today and rebooked my itineraries onto BRU-JFK flights, no problem (even though they weren't officially cancelled on the reservation yet). Whether or not those JFK flights will actually be happening and the airport operating with some reasonable reliability in 3-4 weeks I'm not sure, but in that case I will take the train to CDG or AMS and fly from there.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by dimramon

I would recommend calling and rebooking ASAP, because once the flights officially cancel in the system and other passengers are automatically rebooked there will be a sudden drop in availability and you could potentially have a lot fewer options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.