Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL suspending ATL-BRU for the long term

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2016, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)

I'm told DL is not going to resume ATL-BRU until next Summer 2017 with the recent events in BRU. It sounds like JFK will restart whenever the BRU airport reopens though. I guess ATL based pax will have to connect in either ATL, AMS or CDG if BRU is their final destination.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG PLT100, Marriott Gold
That's not too surprising. I imagine that tourism in Belgium is down significantly. They were getting significant press coverage for their worrisome population of extremists even before the attacks. Hopefully things will settle down there over the coming months and years, but it's hard to predict what will happen.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by woodford02A
I'm told DL is not going to resume ATL-BRU until next Summer 2017 with the recent events in BRU. It sounds like JFK will restart whenever the BRU airport reopens though. I guess ATL based pax will have to connect in either ATL, AMS or CDG if BRU is their final destination.
... or JFK

The Thalys will get you fairly quickly to central Brussels from AMS, probably faster than a connecting flight. You can also take the Thalys from CDG (but I've never done that leg).

When leaving from BRU I usually took the ATL flight because it left later -- I'm usually starting from Antwerp so an extra hour's sleep is appreciated.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 8:00 am
Suspended

There is no need to fly into BRU. You can book a ticket to ZYR and connect in CDG to do so.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: Free Agent, Any Status is Accidental
I would hate this to be true as I fly this route often but indeed it seems the route is not even bookable anymore on DL.com, all the suggested routings are BRU-JFK.

Waiting for the official cancellations then I'll have some itineraries to reorganize.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 8:59 am

Good Move

Good move, DL. Very sound decision.

It is now clear that something is very wrong with security in this country. The entire place is dysfunctional, at least on the two-language front.

I have taken my last trip to BRU. They cannot regain my trust.

It is not enough to do our best; sometimes we have to do what is required: Winston Churchill
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
DL has extended the travel waiver for BRU through 4/18 with rebooked travel starting no later than 4/30.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by FlyingWithers

It is now clear that something is very wrong with security in this country. The entire place is dysfunctional, at least on the two-language front.

I totally understand cancelling ATL-BRU service due to safety concerns, but only from the perspective of Belgians.

Belgium murder rate: 1.6 per 100k population
Georgia murder rate: 5.8 per 100k population

Belgium could have a day like 3/22 every month (in addition to its ongoing crime), and still have a lower murder rate than Georgia.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:35 am

It clearly isn't for safety concerns otherwise JFK would have been cancelled as well.

My experience is that the ATL loads have been extremely low lately, virtually half the Y cabin was empty on my recent 2-3 flights (also one from JFK to BRU).
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Even before the recent incidents, the BRU flights seemed to have relatively good award and upgrade inventory. I guess that's an indication that they weren't doing well, but it's too bad for FFers.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum

It is not enough to do our best; sometimes we have to do what is required: Winston Churchill
I'm not sure I agree with your logic on this. We have had multiple terrorist attacks in the US that were domestic or foreign-born. Does that mean there is something terribly wrong with our security and foreign carriers should stop offering service to the US? Should DL stop flying to Southern CA due to the San Bernadino attack? Should they pull out of BOS because there was an attack there? Should they pull out of ORD/MDW because a least one person is murdered in the city every day?

There is ABSOLUTELY no way you can prevent every single nefarious act from occurring no matter how hard you try. You may try to convince yourself otherwise but reality is what it is.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I'm not sure I agree with your logic on this. We have had multiple terrorist attacks in the US that were domestic or foreign-born. Does that mean there is something terribly wrong with our security and foreign carriers should stop offering service to the US? Should DL stop flying to Southern CA due to the San Bernadino attack? Should they pull out of BOS because there was an attack there? Should they pull out of ORD/MDW because a least one person is murdered in the city every day?

There is ABSOLUTELY no way you can prevent every single nefarious act from occurring no matter how hard you try. You may try to convince yourself otherwise but reality is what it is.
Brussels is in a particularly bad situation though, and has been for quite a while. Whole sections of the city go basically un-policed, and large numbers of radicalized individuals reside there (Belgium is the #1 source for foreign IS volunteers).

The Belgian security and intelligence forces have been stripped to the bone due to budget cuts, and the government's recent struggles (a few years ago, they went over a year without an elected government) certainly haven't helped matters.

Simply put, there are better places in Europe to visit than Belgium, even in the best of times. Add all the security issues, and I see why demand for air travel would plummet.

http://www.politico.eu/article/belgi...eek-terrorism/
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:25 am

While Belgium as a tourist destination is debatable, it still remains the seat of the EU so travel demand will always be there. I'm just happy DL is keeping the JFK flight and hope they don't pull out of BRU completely, which is a Star Alliance strong-hold. (AA didn't service BRU before they acquired the routes from US airways)
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:37 am

An absurd post which should really be in the OMNI forum (or a Trump forum if there is one).
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC

Brussels has been repeatedly attacked by terrorists, it is not a one off like San Bernadino. When you hit a transportation hub in the way they did BRU, it obviously is much more impactful to airlines and the trust of the government to keep foreigners safe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.