Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with Delta's gate numbering at LAX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

Connecting through LAX tonight, and it got me wondering about something I had previously wondered about: Why the A/B gates on the terminal? For example, 51-55 all have As and Bs, 50 just has a B and 56 through 59 are singles. They seem far enough apart that they couldn't be used for dual boarding a large jet — but maybe I'm wrong? And where's 50A?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:02 pm

The gate numbers in LAX terminals 1-8 correspond with the terminal numbers. Gates numbered in the 20s are in Terminal 2, gates numbered in the 40s are in Terminal 4, etc.

In terminal 5, since there are more than 10 jet bridges attached to the building, they have to double up some gates into A/B configurations so that the gate numbering doesn't spill into the next decile.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
It has to do with keeping gate numbers consistent with terminal (similar to what you see with hotel room numbers corresponding to their floor). So for example, Terminal 4 has gates 40-49, T5 has gates 50-59, T6 has gates 60-69, and so on. (The exception is TBIT, since that's not a numbered terminal). This is why AA has gates 44A-44J for their regional terminal (which must be accessed via bus from T4).
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
The real question is what is the deal with LAX?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by vincentharris
^
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Is it wrong for me to want them to bulldoze most of the terminals and start over from scratch?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
There is a weird anomaly, in that there's a gate 55A but not 55B. But there's only one 51 and it's 51, not 51A or 51B. Not sure how 55 got singled out for that.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by WWads
Is it wrong for me to want them to bulldoze most of the terminals and start over from scratch?
While many can comment that LAX overall is not an ideal airport, part of the problem is it's footprint. Even if they leveled everything, there's not much room for an airport as busy as LAX. To solve that, they'd have to bulldoze El Segundo.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
While many can comment that LAX overall is not an ideal airport, part of the problem is it's footprint. Even if they leveled everything, there's not much room for an airport as busy as LAX. To solve that, they'd have to bulldoze El Segundo.
Build a runway out in the water (eco-folks will love it) and use the existing space for expansion. @:-)

Add a few bucks to the gas tax to cover (I hear it is cheap in CA)
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Build a runway out in the water (eco-folks will love it) and use the existing space for expansion. @:-)

Are there any airports in the world that have operations on the open sea (vs. protected bays, etc.)? I wonder how you would build something in an area that has waves crashing often. Now you have me curious if there is indeed a runway out in the open ocean

Otherwise you'd have to build the runway quite high up to avoid having it get washed over in storms
Old Mar 30, 2016, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Otherwise you'd have to build the runway quite high up to avoid having it get washed over in storms
It might be cheaper to bulldoze El Segundo.

And in fine FT tradition, the thread is off the rails in fewer than ten posts!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
How much bigger in land area is ATL vs LAX?

If you could completely bulldoze LAX, I would think you would have enough room to fit in a series of parallel terminals like ATL.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Renes Points

Since the airport is on the bluffs it is about 125 feet above sea level -- so you'd have to build the runway on pylons. And the end of the runways are roughly a mile from the waters edge (some a bit closer, some a bit farther) you probably wouldn't need to go all the way to the waters edge.

Be expensive though. And sometimes they do land from the west, so it would have to take the stress of a loaded plain landing.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
And sometimes they do land from the west, so it would have to take the stress of a loaded plain landing.
as opposed to an unloaded plain? or as opposed to a loaded unusual?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Trojan, one of my brothers lives in El Segundo, we are not that close and I'd be quite ok if they bulldozed his house! TBH, I'm not even sure he'd notice...........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.