Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IND Focus City?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
That is a real stretch to call it a connecting point. All along there have been some connections and that could be increasing slightly but it is mostly service to the hubs (and basically all of the domestic hubs sans SEA) and a few O&D places that have sufficient demand. CDG could add a few connections but from where?

Delta is solidly number 2 at IND and I expect it to stay that way. I do expect DL to make a move with Austin (and that is rank speculation, I have no info) and therefore I think an IND-AUS could happen. They would love to squeeze AS out of the market on the SEA market. Other than that, I don't see much more at IND other than tinkering with Florida markets. It will be interesting to see if the CDG flight last past the subsidy. I think it could.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by indufan
That is a real stretch to call it a connecting point. All along there have been some connections and that could be increasing slightly but it is mostly service to the hubs (and basically all of the domestic hubs sans SEA) and a few O&D places that have sufficient demand. CDG could add a few connections but from where?

Delta is solidly number 2 at IND and I expect it to stay that way. I do expect DL to make a move with Austin (and that is rank speculation, I have no info) and therefore I think an IND-AUS could happen. They would love to squeeze AS out of the market on the SEA market. Other than that, I don't see much more at IND other than tinkering with Florida markets. It will be interesting to see if the CDG flight last past the subsidy. I think it could.
https://www.spreaker.com/user/echoch...ario-rodriguez

The interview says that CDG is the start, so maybe there is more behind the mention of "Connecting point". I was told from a DL employee a few months ago, that DL was shifting some of their focus to "focus cities"(including MCO and IND), and mentioned more p2p flights would be added.

IND-AUS/TPA/FLL/LAS/BDL/SEA(not a p2p flight, but still would make sense). Additionally adding mainline on IND-MCO/RSW and upguaging IND-CUN shows that DL is interested in preserving p2p flying out of IND
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MIDWESTERNFLYER

The interview says that CDG is the start, so maybe there is more behind the mention of "Connecting point". I was told from a DL employee a few months ago, that DL was shifting some of their focus to "focus cities"(including MCO and IND), and mentioned more p2p flights would be added.
Pretty much all O&D markets that have justification already have non stop service. WN has made a living off of cherry picking those routes and there isn't anything wrong with that.

IND-AUS/TPA/FLL/LAS/BDL/SEA(not a p2p flight, but still would make sense). Additionally adding mainline on IND-MCO/RSW and upguaging IND-CUN shows that DL is interested in preserving p2p flying out of IND
I could see any of those happening sans BDL, I just don't see the market. I have flown the RSW-IND non stop a few times and the loads were not very good and the prices were very low. Now, of course, they can grow the market which is the key to any airline substantial growth and something I don't think any of them have ever done very well. There is still an incredible number of Americans that have never stepped foot on an airplane.

Look, I believe in the IND market and it is clear Delta does too. But it has its limits. IND is attractive because of low labor costs. But those same low labor cost permeate throughout the market and inhibit its growth somewhat. Mostly, I just keep looking at the IND-SLC market. I have said for years that it is needed. And then it came....and then it went....and then it came....and then it went. I think Delta thinks they need it too but then the profit doesn't follow.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Pretty much all O&D markets that have justification already have non stop service.

I could see any of those happening sans BDL, I just don't see the market. I have flown the RSW-IND non stop a few times and the loads were not very good and the prices were very low. Now, of course, they can grow the market which is the key to any airline substantial growth and something I don't think any of them have ever done very well. There is still an incredible number of Americans that have never stepped foot on an airplane.

Look, I believe in the IND market and it is clear Delta does too. But it has its limits. IND is attractive because of low labor costs. But those same low labor cost permeate throughout the market and inhibit its growth somewhat. Mostly, I just keep looking at the IND-SLC market. I have said for years that it is needed. And then it came....and then it went....and then it came....and then it went. I think Delta thinks they need it too but then the profit doesn't follow.
RSW-IND flight is doing well actually
RSW-IND LF-86%
IND-RSW LF-84%

Avg fare is around $200 dollars, which is the same as the CVG/LGA-RSW flights, and higher than the CMH/RDU-RSW flights

Anyway DL must have found some success with the RSW flight, considering it is now seasonally mainline, likewise the SLC-IND flight has found its footing it looks like considering they have made it year-round mainline.

We will see what happens in 2018, but signs are pointing towards increased DL service.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree that it points to increased service. But history says it may not stick. Granted, history is not a sole measure of future performance and obviously Delta thinks something different will happen or they wouldn't be doing it. Advertising might be a start. The general public doesn't know that Delta what Delta and I think that they are the best in the business. They have no significant market presence to the general public in IND. But good news, number one in the market is WN and I don't think they have any particular presence either other than their national presence with their perception of always being cheaper and not nickle and diming the customer to death. I do know several people that won't even look beyond WN's website because "they are always cheaper."
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
But good news, number one in the market is WN and I don't think they have any particular presence either other than their national presence with their perception of always being cheaper and not nickle and diming the customer to death. I do know several people that won't even look beyond WN's website because "they are always cheaper."
WN usually has either a very positive or very negative perception. Many business travelers who value a first class and international network avoid WN at all costs, while many travelers on a tighter budget (business or leisure) only book WN because it has decent legroom, bags fly free, great customer service, etc.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DA201

WN usually has either a very positive or very negative perception. Many business travelers who value a first class and international network avoid WN at all costs, while many travelers on a tighter budget (business or leisure) only book WN because it has decent legroom, bags fly free, great customer service, etc.
This is true. Strangely, I am kind of neutral on them. It just isn't the international network, for me WN doesn't have a good enough domestic network either. But, I concede I get to more diverse places than many business travelers. If they work for others, that is fine....it is called capitalism for a reason. They are number 1 in the IND market.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:28 pm

I agree that it points to increased service. But history says it may not stick. Granted, history is not a sole measure of future performance and obviously Delta thinks something different will happen or they wouldn't be doing it. Advertising might be a start. The general public doesn't know that Delta what Delta and I think that they are the best in the business. They have no significant market presence to the general public in IND. But good news, number one in the market is WN and I don't think they have any particular presence either other than their national presence with their perception of always being cheaper and not nickle and diming the customer to death. I do know several people that won't even look beyond WN's website because "they are always cheaper."
What I'll say is I think WN does a good job marketing in IND, in addition to the ads on tv and online. They are now the official airline for the Pacers, and have banners in the Fieldhouse and promotions and advertisements during games.

Anyway I ran the numbers on July '17 vs what they have scheduled for July '18 and as of now they are scheduled to increase seats by 12.02% YOY.
With IND-JFK/SLC/RDU/CDG(obviously)/MCO/CUN/DTW seeing substantial increases.

But again we will wait and see, but the original comment on this thread seems like it may be accurate
Old Dec 23, 2017, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But again we will wait and see, but the original comment on this thread seems like it may be accurate
How do you figure? I would hardly figure that raising the connections from 3% to 5% making it a connecting point? I absolutely made up those numbers and will be glad to look at other numbers if available.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 7:34 pm

How do you figure? I would hardly figure that raising the connections from 3% to 5% making it a connecting point? I absolutely made up those numbers and will be glad to look at other numbers if available.
I was referring to this quote from last year:
"Speaking with an agent at IND and they mentioned a new three-year commitment by DL to make IND a focus city. This is supposed to include new print and media buys in the local market"

Not the "connecting point" quote

I don't have any numbers behind connections, but I know there aren't many now. Obviously though if DL continues to expand those numbers will slightly increase

Last edited by MIDWESTERNFLYER; Dec 23, 2017 at 7:48 pm
Old Jan 14, 2018, 3:46 am

Long over due, DL has added IND-SEA starting June 18th, along with SEA-IAD.
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...;tt=o;s=0;so=t
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
IND-SEA is actually a good use of the A319. Decent customer experience with the cabin refresh and seatback IFE. And not too many seats to have to sell per day.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:25 am

I think DL just want to compete with Alaska now.....
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by CGNC
Speaking with an agent at IND and they mentioned a new three-year commitment by DL to make IND a focus city. This is supposed to include new print and media buys in the local market. Flight-wise at IND, there have not been any new major additions/markets. MCO is being offered near daily in the fall (checked for September) which is an increase over previous Sat-only service but other than that all seems to be normal.

I am a bit surprised DL has not added SEA service given their expansion there but wouldn't be shocked if it were added seeing as though there are no direct flights to Pacific Northwest from IND. NW, back in the day, did serve IND-SEA seasonally.

Anyone more familiar with what the focus city designation under DL generally brings?
Anyone heard anything about this? Allegedly the Skyclub will be expanded, but not sure when that would happen...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.