Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SkyMiles Redemption on Vietnam Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyMiles Redemption on Vietnam Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
So, I'm trying to book REP-SGN-NRT as an award ticket using skymiles. Award availability appears to be there, however, Delta's website isn't pulling the connecting flights. Of note, in expert flyer, if I search REP-NRT, I get nothing, but the individual flights have award space. Some unwritten rule I'm missing not allowing connections?
DL generally only allows booking flights segment by segment nowadays on www.dullta.com. To book a connecting flight you have to book two separate tickets (and pay double the price). You can try calling and see if you get a competent and helpful agent who will book it to you as a through fare, that should be so doable as it is a valid route, so it should work, just is likely blocked from online and front line agent bookings, as many connections are nowadays.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
So, I'm trying to book REP-SGN-NRT as an award ticket using skymiles. Award availability appears to be there, however, Delta's website isn't pulling the connecting flights. Of note, in expert flyer, if I search REP-NRT, I get nothing, but the individual flights have award space. Some unwritten rule I'm missing not allowing connections?
Just to make sure, which REP-SGN flight are you looking at? Only one is actually operated by VN. The rest are codeshare on Cambodian Air. Only the one actually operated by VN qualifies to booking using miles. I've booked plenty of intra-Asia awards online with DL miles on VN. Thus I'm guessing this is the issue.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Just to make sure, which REP-SGN flight are you looking at? Only one is actually operated by VN. The rest are codeshare on Cambodian Air. Only the one actually operated by VN qualifies to booking using miles. I've booked plenty of intra-Asia awards online with DL miles on VN. Thus I'm guessing this is the issue.
I'd have to check.....however, I was able to book China Eastern biz......what is better, China Eastern biz or Vietnam biz?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
I'd have to check.....however, I was able to book China Eastern biz......what is better, China Eastern biz or Vietnam biz?
VN, though for short haul the difference is less so. For long haul, VN is great. For medium haul, VN is also very good (esp. food). Probably second best business class in SkyTeam, after GA that takes the top spot.

Last edited by RealHJ; Jun 4, 2019 at 5:05 pm Reason: Fixed typo. VS --> VN
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RealHJ
VS, though for short haul the difference is less so. For long haul, VS is great. For medium haul, VS is also very good (esp. food). Probably second best business class in SkyTeam, after GA that takes the top spot.
I think autocorrect got best of your post.

I do agree that GA/VN are the best long haul Skyteam. China Airlines coming in next you'll for me. China Eastern while far from bad anymore, is nowhere near those.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I think autocorrect got best of your post.

I do agree that GA/VN are the best long haul Skyteam. China Airlines coming in next you'll for me. China Eastern while far from bad anymore, is nowhere near those.
Thanks for catching that. Yes! Where I said VS it should say VN.

I've edited and fixed it up now.

MU is perfectly adequate, but the transit experience at PVG leaves a lot to be desired (then again, HAN and SGN transit is nothing to rave about either).
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:43 am

So, been waiting to book some short haul flights with skypesos, but when exactly does vietnam release the award inventory to Delta? Nothing open after Jan. 22 at this point.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Has anyone had any success booking shorthaul flights with VN recently using DL miles? It seems like SGN-REP is blocked through EOS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.