Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Just wanted to report that our recent r/t SEA-AMS the pre-order worked perfectly for my spouse and I. I do wish they would include the pre-arrival meal with this, or, alternately, allow one to order a special meal for the pre-arrival but choose the main meal.

Because the special meals tend to be SO SO AWFUL, the pre-ordering allows those of us who are dairy vegetarian or pescatarian or have other restrictions to choose something from the main menu if it meets our needs and not have to order something that is likely to inedible from the special meal menu. However, we are then often stuck with a pre-arrival meal that does not meet our needs. It seems like they should be able to do this just as easily.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by Grouchy
The spring 04/2018 AMS-US menu also didn't have salmon. Wouldn't worry to much, the spring 2018 menu 'roasted salmon filet' or 'bourbon grilled cedar plank salmon' might make a reappearance in the 5/19 AMS-US menu (it did last year)
Originally Posted by Grouchy
Plus pretty sure fish is not completely gone from the menu and we will see 'salmon tataki' as a starter in the AMS-US 2019 spring menu later this week

Add to that; betting that the 'almost there' options 'Cuban pork sandwich' or the 'mixed green salad with grilled chicken' are also the same as the March 2019 spring menu (and 2018 spring menu).

TATL D1 menus are currently on a 3 month rotating cycle; the current Spring menu started in March 2019, so the summer menu won't start till June.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta

TATL D1 menus are currently on a 3 month rotating cycle; the current Spring menu started in March 2019, so the summer menu won't start till June.
Will find out next month, last year there was also the 'spring menu' but there was a 4/18 and 5/18 'spring menu' with slightly different options
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Reporting on AMS-BOS from a few weeks ago, the Cuban sandwich from the "Almost There" selections is excellent.

Also, on the special meals, my wife had pre-ordered the non-dairy vegetarian for both TATL segments. For the segment to Europe (we flew DTW-LHR), everything was perfect. For the return (AMS-BOS), the catering company seemed to group all vegetarian dishes as the same "Asian Vegetarian" selection, and my wife was not happy. Thankfully, one FA was very sympathetic and was able to get a spare pasta meal from coach for her.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
Was curious if someone could answer this question. I am currently booked on a ATL-LAS flight on a paid F ticket. I am booked on an early morning flight but plan to SDC to a later flight. If I SDC and the flight I am going to take is more than 24 hours prior to my departure time will I be able to call and pre-select a meal?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I still wonder what my Diabetic Dinner in F will be Atlanta--San Jose, CA?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by CVFDCHIEF180
Was curious if someone could answer this question. I am currently booked on a ATL-LAS flight on a paid F ticket. I am booked on an early morning flight but plan to SDC to a later flight. If I SDC and the flight I am going to take is more than 24 hours prior to my departure time will I be able to call and pre-select a meal?
I would say no. Once you change your flight you only have the options that are catered on board. I think the consensus is if you select your meal when the 72 hour email arrives for your original flight you are stuck with what is catered on your changed itinerary. I could be wrong but from what I have seen of this very slow and poor implementation I would tend to lean toward the negative. Some one please correct me if I am thinking wrong on this..
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
I still wonder what my Diabetic Dinner in F will be Atlanta--San Jose, CA?
There is no way to know in advance what you will be served for a special meal. You can look back and find examples, but you won't know until (and if!) it is served to you.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Picked the sandwich as I'm not fond of pad thai with cold chicken. Got a subsequent email confirmation of my choice as well!
​​​​​​
I just got the preselect email for my thousand mile mainline LUNCH flight with exactly these options. It's not a route where I would expect a particularly better meal or other special treatment, although it's not a leisure route either.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Was able to preorder dinner for last night’s AUS-MSP. The Beef/Pork Meatballs were surprisingly good. Other choice was Pesto Chicken (cold salad)
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:44 pm

I have noticed that they now, on domestic flights, seem to be offering two meat options instead of one meat and one vegetarian (pasta) dish. This is disappointing considering how extremely bad the special vegetarian meals are.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver
Got it T-72 for EDI-JFK D1. Chicken/Beef/Seafood/Pasta options.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CVFDCHIEF180
I've been wondering the same. Does DL send out the preselect email in one batch, at about T-72? Or are there either additional sweeps or emails sent individually when a FC ticket is purchased within T-72 to T-24? My impression is that elites getting upgrades in advance do get the email when the upgrade clears before T-24, or is there some cutoff for this?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:13 pm

Got the pre-order email for my lunch EWR-ATL segment with two new (to me) entrees.

1)Grilled Chicken, Vegetables and Halloumi cheese kebobs.

2) Charcuterie Plate

Any insight? I choose the kebobs because I generally like a hot meal.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by kmersh
Got the pre-order email for my lunch EWR-ATL segment with two new (to me) entrees.

1)Grilled Chicken, Vegetables and Halloumi cheese kebobs.

2) Charcuterie Plate

Any insight? I choose the kebobs because I generally like a hot meal.
I wonder if the charcuterie plate will be similar to the deli meat plate that has been around for awhile and they just gave it a fancier name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.