Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
What was the resining for making the only way to request it by e-mail link. The whole thing just seems very poorly laid out.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Here's my experience with Delta via Twitter:

Me: Hello, I am flying DL2583 between MSP and JFK on Monday, 4 March in first-class. As of today, I have not received the email allowing me to pre-select my meal, which Delta has announced is an option. Can I manually select my meal through you? If so, what are my options?

Delta: offering Delta One Cabin service.

Me: That’s not factual. Here's the policy: “Pre-select now includes mainline First Class flights* where meals are offered. This includes domestic First Class routes and select flights between the U.S. and Canada, the Caribbean and Latin America. The total of daily flights eligible for pre-select is now more than 1,000 – up from 200.” https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...rst-class.html

Delta: Yes, however, this currently applies to certain markets.

Me: But my MSP-JFK flight is a mainline Delta flight? If I can’t pre-select a meal then please order me a special meal. The low fat, low calorie meal.

Delta: I can do that. Our meals selection offers either low-calorie or low fat/low cholesterol. Which one would you prefer?

Me: Low calorie.

Delta: The low-calorie meal is showing as an option, when I attempt to enter it, it advises that it is not available. However, it will allow me to add the low-fat meal.

Me: OK. That's fine.

Delta: Thank you. I have added the special meal request to your itinerary. Thank you for your loyalty and support by continuing to choose Delta as your preferred carrier!
So much for pre-select.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta SM
No pre-select emails

Is there any way to call them to get on the email list so there pre select works? I took a one way on JAL to NRT last week.

The return flight was DL Delta One NRT-SEA-MSP but didn't get an email to pre select for either legs of return flight. Could it b because my return flight was a one way, or is it only working for some flyers and not others? Really wish they could get it working correctly for everyone.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
This whole email thing is silly. They need to find a way to integrate it into the website and app.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Got one this morning for my flight on the 5th LAX-AUS.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This whole email thing is silly. They need to find a way to integrate it into the website and app.
Let alone ensure the customer service agents know it's an option. Look at my experience with the Twitter agent.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Delta Twitter did not respond when I pressed them.

One tip I will share - DO NOT ORDER THE LACTO-OVO VEG. Nasty cold vegetable sandwich (big ring of raw red onion, 4 zucchini slices (raw) and a hunk of lettuce on some tough wheat bread. Chips, fruit and packaged oatmeal raisin cookie. Blech.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I got a preorder email tonight for my FC flight on Wednesday. I’m a PM and was upgraded overnight.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by curl
Delta Twitter did not respond when I pressed them.

One tip I will share - DO NOT ORDER THE LACTO-OVO VEG. Nasty cold vegetable sandwich (big ring of raw red onion, 4 zucchini slices (raw) and a hunk of lettuce on some tough wheat bread. Chips, fruit and packaged oatmeal raisin cookie. Blech.

ughhhh! This is so so irritating. What you describe is a vegan (VGML) meal not a lacto ovo (VLML) meal and they have consistently been making this mistake for over a year now. There must be something broken in their special meal system. I've emailed several times about it as it keeps happening. Others have reported ordering the VGML meal and getting dairy and eggs--it might be switched somehow.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
So what are the Diabetic Dinners like from ATL-SJC & SJC-ATL? Is it worth booking Special Meals, or just pre-booking the Dinner/Lunch offered?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM
ughhhh! This is so so irritating. What you describe is a vegan (VGML) meal not a lacto ovo (VLML) meal and they have consistently been making this mistake for over a year now. There must be something broken in their special meal system. I've emailed several times about it as it keeps happening. Others have reported ordering the VGML meal and getting dairy and eggs--it might be switched somehow.
DL catering doesn’t carry every specific meal type. A VGML meets the dietary restrictions of a VLML. Sorry there were no eggs or dairy, but the VGML still qualifies.

Thats how it works...you may end up with the most restrictive meal type possible as it can cover a lot of specific meal needs, depending on what catering can supply.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by MikeNYC1

DL catering doesn’t carry every specific meal type. A VGML meets the dietary restrictions of a VLML. Sorry there were no eggs or dairy, but the VGML still qualifies.

Thats how it works...you may end up with the most restrictive meal type possible as it can cover a lot of specific meal needs, depending on what catering can supply.

This is certainly not at all how it works. Delta, and most airlines, have for years offered several types of vegetarian meals: dairy, non-dairy, asian, etc. If what you were erroneously claiming were true, then all of those reports of VGML meals including dairy and eggs would not be here. There is a glitch.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM
This is certainly not at all how it works. Delta, and most airlines, have for years offered several types of vegetarian meals: dairy, non-dairy, asian, etc. If what you were erroneously claiming were true, then all of those reports of VGML meals including dairy and eggs would not be here. There is a glitch.
Delta’s various hubs and out stations offer a variety of meals, but may not have in stock EACH option on the list at all times. Substitutions are made to a more restrictive meal, when inventory requires it.

VGMLs containing eggs and dairy are a glitch indeed, but just because one requests VLML doesn’t mean it will have dairy or eggs...it just means they will include them if they have meals in stock that meet that requirement.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Just returned from a LAX-Shanghai D1 round trip (DL89/88). No pre-select emails in either direction.

On the return flight, the Chinese options were spoken for almost immediately (only 5 were loaded). As a result, the first few minutes of the inflight experience was hearing the cabin filled with repeat conversations—- passengers requesting Chinese meals, FAs apologizing they were all already gone and that they get this complaint a lot, telling passengers they can always pre-order by responding to the emails, passengers stating they hadn’t received any emails, etc.

Feels like they have a few bugs yet to work out on this system. The A350 is a great hard product and the FAs were also outstanding... too bad the flights had to start on such a sour note with the catering drama.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
Just returned from a LAX-Shanghai D1 round trip (DL89/88). No pre-select emails in either direction.

On the return flight, the Chinese options were spoken for almost immediately (only 5 were loaded). As a result, the first few minutes of the inflight experience was hearing the cabin filled with repeat conversations—- passengers requesting Chinese meals, FAs apologizing they were all already gone and that they get this complaint a lot, telling passengers they can always pre-order by responding to the emails, passengers stating they hadn’t received any emails, etc.

Feels like they have a few bugs yet to work out on this system. The A350 is a great hard product and the FAs were also outstanding... too bad the flights had to start on such a sour note with the catering drama.
The Chinese meal has always been selectable even before selecting main meal choices. Getting an email or not is no reason for not selecting it as a special meal choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.