Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jrl767
just got another "Pre-Order Your Delta One Meal" email -- it's for the 0035 SEA-MSP redeye, lol

so the interesting thing here is that, at T-24, I'm going to SDC off that flight to an afternoon flight ... I'm curious if I'll be able to pre-order for that meal service flight, since the 24-hour window will still be open
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I did a buyup yesterday for a flight on Sunday. It was less than 72 hours out, so I guess no e-mail for me......

Maybe on the return. Both would be lunch anyway.
Call. You may not get the email, but as long as its more than 24 hours out, they can tell you the choices and place your order over the phone.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I got the email this afternoon for a 2/19 flight SJC-MSP. The choice was vegetarian lasagne or salmon.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Thumbs down pretty useless if the info isn’t there ...

Originally Posted by jrl767
just got another "Pre-Order Your Delta One Meal" email -- it's for the 0035 SEA-MSP redeye, lol

so the interesting thing here is that, at T-24, I'm going to SDC off that flight to an afternoon flight ... I'm curious if I'll be able to pre-order for that meal service flight, since the 24-hour window will still be open
after my SDC to the afternoon flight took about 15 min (since neither the PM line agent not the first supervisor she consulted could figure out why the system wanted to collect the $1200 fare difference between D and J), I decided not to mess around with pre-ordering until this morning ... the agent said that she couldn’t see any menu description beyond the entree type (chicken, pasta, fish) ... HUCA; second agent started reviewing the special-order options, then tried to tell me that a 4.5-hour midafternoon SEA-ATL flight was only getting snack service (sandwich, fruit, chips)
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bgriff
But that shouldn't actually be the case right? Say before Delta was loading 8 eggs and 8 oatmeals for a 16-seat cabin. Now if 10 people pre-order eggs, in theory I would think they would load 3 eggs and 3 oatmeals for the remaining seats, some of which will be at-the-gate upgrades. (Or maybe they would load 4 eggs and 2 oatmeals since the pre-order trend suggested greater demand for eggs, but regardless...)

It's not like the pre-orders are equivalent to people ordering ahead of you onboard and perhaps taking the choice you would have wanted -- the pre-orders lock in certain people and then I'd imagine they do some rebalancing of what they load for the remaining meals.

Of course, if you're last to order, you're last to order, but that was sometimes the case with a gate upgrade anyway.
This isn’t how it’s working in practice. On a recent Delta One flight, the most popular meal choice was entirely spoken for via preorders and not a single one was loaded for non-preordering passengers. (Out of 34 eligible passengers, 20 preordered.)
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:20 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by BenA

This isn’t how it’s working in practice. On a recent Delta One flight, the most popular meal choice was entirely spoken for via preorders and not a single one was loaded for non-preordering passengers. (Out of 34 eligible passengers, 20 preordered.)
Ah, well, hopefully Delta figures out the obvious adjustments I mentioned in my earlier post soon then.

They may have decided that they care less about last-minute upgraders getting a choice, but I would think they've also got to realize (or will come to realize) that there are some valuable constituencies who don't get a chance to pre-order, like full fare J passengers booking at the last minute, or paid F domestic passengers doing same-day change.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
So 4 Domestic F meal flights and this is my tally:

3 calls to Diamond line (1 said I could order but missed the. 24 hour deadline, 3 said it only is available for D1 flights)

2 SkyClub questions (both said it only applies to D1)

1 Twitter question (it only applies to D1)

0 Emails received about my meal choice
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I'm late to the game with my info, but on 2/12 MSP-BOS I cleared in the 5 day window. Got an email asking me to choose my "Delta One" meal. Choice of breakfast egg sandwich or Cheerios.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Flying ATL-SFO last week upgraded with RUC in the 24 hour window and was confirmed. No offer to choose meal from the phone agent, just Row 1 or Row 5. I chose Row 5 since flight was odd number (FEBO system) and wanted first meal choice to avoid the usual high-carb/low-protein option.

Junior FA starts walking down with her list starting at Row 1 so I think she is taking drink orders. Nope, she told me only pasta was left and I should have ordered in advance with no mention of the flight number rule or without acknowledging I booked under 24 hours prior. Flight supervisor apologized and said orders should have been taken from the back and there were very few pre-orders on the flight and both choices were available when they started taking orders after takeoff.

DL really needs to get this right and put in some kind of option inside the app or online to choose. Then actually adjust the meals that are loaded onto the plane since they have enough time to do so. Otherwise, FEBO works just fine and leave it at that if they are not going to use the pre-orders to change how the plane is stocked.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Got email. Tried to select choice meal. Got error message. Ill just wait til im there.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
JFK-BRU

Last edited by flyaxa; Feb 22, 2019 at 9:57 am
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by flyaxa
BOS-BRU
Salmon for sure.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:41 am

Delta One Pre-order Meals

I am flying Delta One next week for the first time between London and New York. My understanding was that I would get an email from Delta asking me if I wanted to pre order my meals for the flight, however, I’ve not received an email and can’t see anything through manage my booking that would allow me to do it. I don’t want any special dietary requirements but would have liked to choose my meal before boarding to ensure I get what I wanted.
Am I correct with my assumption? If so, could it be that the flights were booked through Virgin Atlantic although I don’t see why that would make any difference given their partnership with Delta.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
I got my email about 3 days before my JFK-BRU flight last week.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by shrop
I am flying Delta One next week for the first time between London and New York. My understanding was that I would get an email from Delta asking me if I wanted to pre order my meals for the flight, however, I’ve not received an email and can’t see anything through manage my booking that would allow me to do it. I don’t want any special dietary requirements but would have liked to choose my meal before boarding to ensure I get what I wanted.
Am I correct with my assumption? If so, could it be that the flights were booked through Virgin Atlantic although I don’t see why that would make any difference given their partnership with Delta.
When next week?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:28 am

Thanks for the replies, Thursday 28th

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.