Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by loratliff
I cleared at the gate twice yesterday, which means I was screwed for meal choice. I don't eat eggs, so was stuck picking around an omelet and scrambled eggs.
Well, you could have bought first-class if being up there and getting a meal was important to you.

Personally, I've never been a fan of Delta breakfast meals and typically skip it, even on long-haul flights. I'd rather eat at the hotel or Sky Club before departure or wait for landing and grab something, say at the excellent Virgin Atlantic arrivals lounge in London.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I got just the pre-order email for ATL-SCL in case that has not been reported. I am hoping for the same on the return flight.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL - PM
Originally Posted by loratliff
I cleared at the gate twice yesterday, which means I was screwed for meal choice. I don't eat eggs, so was stuck picking around an omelet and scrambled eggs.
This is definitely a potential downside of an otherwise fantastic change. We're much less likely to get our first choice meal after a gate upgrade.

Before I get flamed with WFBF, I understand that I have no right to complain about my meal choice if I got a free upgrade. It's just an observation.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Malibu369
Didn't get any notification of pre ordering on d1 LHR-ATL and the first ATL-SAN and same return sectors. Flights booked on delta app Virgin codeshare flights but all choices available
I got my LHR-ATL preselect yesterday right on time. Options were meh, but it was nice to get the meh out of the way ahead of time I guess.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
at the excellent Virgin Atlantic arrivals lounge in London.
Slightly OT, but sometimes I think I'm the only one here who doesn't swoon over the VS Revivals lounge. It's nice that the shower wait is usually pretty short, but the food is just okay and I find the whole place small and stuffy all the time.

If I have a meeting to get to I'll grab a coffee and shower and then get out as quick as I can. Otherwise, I much prefer just getting straight into the city and freshening up properly at my hotel or apartment.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by gooselee
Slightly OT, but sometimes I think I'm the only one here who doesn't swoon over the VS Revivals lounge. It's nice that the shower wait is usually pretty short, but the food is just okay and I find the whole place small and stuffy all the time.

If I have a meeting to get to I'll grab a coffee and shower and then get out as quick as I can. Otherwise, I much prefer just getting straight into the city and freshening up properly at my hotel or apartment.
I agree it's probably too small. I also agree the food menu is limited, but what's served is, without a doubt, better than what you get on-board. I like it because I can spend an hour or 90 minutes there, missing the last of the morning rush into the city. Plus, by 11 a.m. there's a better chance of my room being ready at the hotel.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
I have a breakfast flight MSP-DCA on Monday in F and no email. Are others not getting these emails?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:08 am

I got one for our return trip from CZM-MSP on 2/09, but not the outbound (which is a "domestic flight" for these purposes). And, flight attendants on the return flight were oblivious to the fact that 1/2 the cabin has "chosen" in advance, so not sure how "useful" the choice was. It was the same exact choices as we were offered in advance, so it's not like you got different stuff. Just increasing the chances you got your first choice, I think.

ETA: I got the email on Thursday for a Sat pm flight.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Xeno
I got just the pre-order email for ATL-SCL in case that has not been reported. I am hoping for the same on the return flight.
What were the choices? I have this same flight later next week.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by Ordhater
This is definitely a potential downside of an otherwise fantastic change. We're much less likely to get our first choice meal after a gate upgrade.

Before I get flamed with WFBF, I understand that I have no right to complain about my meal choice if I got a free upgrade. It's just an observation.
Exactly. Simply an observation, but I should've known the "WFBF" crowd would come barreling in.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:14 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Ordhater

But that shouldn't actually be the case right? Say before Delta was loading 8 eggs and 8 oatmeals for a 16-seat cabin. Now if 10 people pre-order eggs, in theory I would think they would load 3 eggs and 3 oatmeals for the remaining seats, some of which will be at-the-gate upgrades. (Or maybe they would load 4 eggs and 2 oatmeals since the pre-order trend suggested greater demand for eggs, but regardless...)

It's not like the pre-orders are equivalent to people ordering ahead of you onboard and perhaps taking the choice you would have wanted -- the pre-orders lock in certain people and then I'd imagine they do some rebalancing of what they load for the remaining meals.

Of course, if you're last to order, you're last to order, but that was sometimes the case with a gate upgrade anyway.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by tubesoxs
What were the choices? I have this same flight later next week.
See image below:
Attached Images  
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: DL - PM
Originally Posted by bgriff
But that shouldn't actually be the case right? Say before Delta was loading 8 eggs and 8 oatmeals for a 16-seat cabin. Now if 10 people pre-order eggs, in theory I would think they would load 3 eggs and 3 oatmeals for the remaining seats, some of which will be at-the-gate upgrades. (Or maybe they would load 4 eggs and 2 oatmeals since the pre-order trend suggested greater demand for eggs, but regardless...)

It's not like the pre-orders are equivalent to people ordering ahead of you onboard and perhaps taking the choice you would have wanted -- the pre-orders lock in certain people and then I'd imagine they do some rebalancing of what they load for the remaining meals.

Of course, if you're last to order, you're last to order, but that was sometimes the case with a gate upgrade anyway.
They did mention in the press release that they can use the pre-order data to better assess demand, so maybe they will get good at determining how many of each meal to load for the remaining seats after preorders. But otherwise, I tend to think I'd have less chance of getting my first choice if, say, I'm one of four passengers picking between a 2/2 split, then if I'm one of 16 picking from an 8/8 split. Maybe there's an engineer on the boards who can tell if if that's correct.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
just got another "Pre-Order Your Delta One Meal" email -- it's for the 0035 SEA-MSP redeye, lol

so the interesting thing here is that, at T-24, I'm going to SDC off that flight to an afternoon flight ... I'm curious if I'll be able to pre-order for that meal service flight, since the 24-hour window will still be open
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I did a buyup yesterday for a flight on Sunday. It was less than 72 hours out, so I guess no e-mail for me......

Maybe on the return. Both would be lunch anyway.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I have probably missed the post, but do you have pre-choice selection for first class for ATL-SFO?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.