Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
My last two pre-select emails have come between 6 and 7 p.m. Eastern on the third day before departure.
Update - email came at 6:30 EST . Thanks Hockeyinsider!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:36 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I’m flying JFK-HNL on Saturday; it’s now T-48 hours before departure so based on reports above, I should have received the preorder email from Delta, right?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I’m flying JFK-HNL on Saturday; it’s now T-48 hours before departure so based on reports above, I should have received the preorder email from Delta, right?

Yes, however, I'm guessing that because this is a very limited seasonal flight that DL did not roll out preselect on this route. Probably will happen next December for the two weeks this route runs, once it has gone system wide. You could try calling and asking.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Dec 27, 2018 at 10:59 am
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:57 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
That makes sense; for now, I will assume the menu will not be too dissimilar from ATL-HNL and MSP-HNL menus posted recently. I can probably find what I had the last time I flew JFK-HNL a few years ago. In any case, I’ll post the menu in the other thread after my flight. Thanks for the response!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I flew Paris CDG–Detroit DTW. The email to pre-select my meal came, like clockwork, three days before departure. Unfortunately, the Delta.com selection website didn't work. I tried Twitter and the diamond desk, but agents couldn't help me despite the Delta.com error message instructing me to call in for help. Agents had no idea what I was talking about. Your experience could vary, I suppose.

I kept refreshing my browser and my pre-selection finally went through. When I boarded and grabbed a look at the manifest the purser had I was the only passenger in business-class who pre-selected.

Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Smile

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
That makes sense; for now, I will assume the menu will not be too dissimilar from ATL-HNL and MSP-HNL menus posted recently. I can probably find what I had the last time I flew JFK-HNL a few years ago. In any case, I’ll post the menu in the other thread after my flight. Thanks for the response!
This is *clearly* a sign that it needs to be a year round route!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
This past week I received JFK-LAX and LAX-JFK emails at exactly T-72 both times.

Actual meal selection underwhelming... on the outbound I got the cold salmon, which was terrible. On the return, my choices were meatballs, chicken parm, and fried chicken iceberg salad. So pork, chicken, or chicken. This is particularly surprising since I can't remember the last time there wasn't a vegetarian option on one of these flights.

On the bright side, the email provides enough time to put in an SPML...
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by bennos
On the return, my choices were meatballs, chicken parm, and fried chicken iceberg salad. So pork, chicken, or chicken. This is particularly surprising since I can't remember the last time there wasn't a vegetarian option on one of these flights.
This year many of my domestic flights, both in first-class and Delta One business-class, have had lunches or dinners that didn't have a vegetarian option. A couple even had a beef or pasta with chicken option. I don't understand why Delta can't do more entree-sized Caesar salads with chicken on the side. It's relatively healthy and it kills two birds with one stone: meat and vegetarian.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
I haven't been pre-ordering D1 meals, because I dont know 3 days in advance what I might feel like eating on flight day. And I havent had any issues getting what I want. On my ATL-EZE flight last week, I was in 5D. The purser went down the entire AB side first, confirming pre-orders and getting orders from those that didn't, then to the front of the CD side, so by the time she got to me she was maybe 75% done. I asked "Is everything still available?" and she said yes, they have plenty of everything. Food for thought...
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:33 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ULDB65
I haven't been pre-ordering D1 meals, because I dont know 3 days in advance what I might feel like eating on flight day. And I havent had any issues getting what I want. On my ATL-EZE flight last week, I was in 5D. The purser went down the entire AB side first, confirming pre-orders and getting orders from those that didn't, then to the front of the CD side, so by the time she got to me she was maybe 75% done. I asked "Is everything still available?" and she said yes, they have plenty of everything. Food for thought...
​​​​​My understanding is that they over-provision international flights -- not sure if they have 2 of everything, but there is at least some extra.

Domestic F would be a different story.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
This year many of my domestic flights, both in first-class and Delta One business-class, have had lunches or dinners that didn't have a vegetarian option. A couple even had a beef or pasta with chicken option. I don't understand why Delta can't do more entree-sized Caesar salads with chicken on the side. It's relatively healthy and it kills two birds with one stone: meat and vegetarian.
In domestic F I'm used to "chicken or turkey" or "chicken or chicken". I usually do an SPML, or if it's a gate upgrade bring something from the airport.

For the TCONs, I think B6 does it better, with the "choose 3 of 5" menus. Chances are, your dietary restrictions will align with 3 of the 5 dishes, and if they don't they still have special meals, and the menus are published online so you can make an informed decision.

Yes, apparently this is how I'm spending my new years eve
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bennos
Yes, apparently this is how I'm spending my new years eve
I've always thought it would be fun to fly all day on New Year's Eve. Free alcohol, maybe some edible food and no drunk driving worries.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:50 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
You're obviously not a vegetarian if you consider a ceasar salad to be an acceptable vegetarian meal. Once you remove the chicken it's like 95% iceberg lettuce.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pvn
You're obviously not a vegetarian if you consider a ceasar salad to be an acceptable vegetarian meal. Once you remove the chicken it's like 95% iceberg lettuce.
True Caesar dressing has anchovies in it
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
Romaine, not iceberg.

Make it a kale and romaine blend. Add some faro if you must. It was merely an illustration of what Delta could serve that would be better than the pathetic sandwiches many of us get on domestic routes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.