Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:04 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Wait. A meal regardless of flight distance?
They didn't say a meal on every flight, they just said you could pre-order. You can let them know ahead of time that you won't be getting a meal on your 400-mile flight.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:04 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
KLM manages to do it. Why couldn't Delta, especially if it involved pre-selecting the meal like they're doing on international flights? Yes, it may be a cold box with a sandwich but that's better than a candy bar from the snack basket.
I don't think anyone has said they couldn't do it.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
KLM manages to do it. Why couldn't Delta, especially if it involved pre-selecting the meal like they're doing on international flights? Yes, it may be a cold box with a sandwich but that's better than a candy bar from the snack basket.

I'll take my DL domestic F seat with a snack basket over the KLM euro "business" any day.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I'll take my DL domestic F seat with a snack basket over the KLM euro "business" any day.
In terms of seats, yes, although KLM's intra-Europe KLM Cityhopper business-class on the Embraer 190 is better than comparable U.S. domestic first-class, both in terms of food-and-beverage and legroom.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: Delta
Maybe because they realize that the majority of frequent flyers do not obsess over airline food, and are certainly not going to pay a premium for a tiny, KLM-style sandwich.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
In terms of seats, yes, although KLM's intra-Europe KLM Cityhopper business-class on the Embraer 190 is better than comparable U.S. domestic first-class, both in terms of food-and-beverage and legroom.
Itsn't, the KLC E190 has smaller seats, less legroom (17/33 inch and a 2-2 configuration and no the seat next to you isn't kept free). Their E175's only have 32 inch in EBC.
Beverages; no PDB and only a pre-packed bottle of water or orange juice on a their shorter flights.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Grouchy
Itsn't, the KLC E190 has smaller seats, less legroom (17/33 inch and a 2-2 configuration and no the seat next to you isn't kept free). Their E175's only have 32 inch in EBC.
Beverages; no PDB and only a pre-packed bottle of water or orange juice on a their shorter flights.
I've flown of late between Amsterdam and smaller U.K. airports. In each case, only the first two rows were used as business-class. The seat may not be as wide, but the legroom wasn't noticeable less than U.S. first-class on a comparable plane. For 1-hour or 90-minute flights, there was more food and more alcohol than Delta. Pre-departure beverages aren't 100% on U.S. airlines. I had a meal and a choice of drinks, including alcohol. I'd much rather fly this than Delta on 1-hour flights from Detroit to New York or Washington.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:24 am

I've flown of late between Amsterdam and smaller U.K. airports. In each case, only the first two rows were used as business-class. The seat may not be as wide, but the legroom wasn't noticeable less than U.S. first-class on a comparable plane. For 1-hour or 90-minute flights, there was more food and more alcohol than Delta. Pre-departure beverages aren't 100% on U.S. airlines. I had a meal and a choice of drinks, including alcohol.
If you are 1.78 meter then it doesn't matter, if you are 1.86 meter or more those 5" are a considerable difference. 32" isn't standard on EU airlines, you also see planes that have 29-30" in business. Add the seat width and another pax next to you; 2 males with a shoulder width of 20-22" sitting next to each other and you have a 6+" deficit.
Can't recall when they didn't offer me a PDB on Delta.

I'd much rather fly this than Delta on 1-hour flights from Detroit to New York or Washington.
Try the 1-hour BRU or DUS-AMS trip, no alcohol, only a pre-packed bottle of water or orange juice. You will get alcohol and the cold box with a sandwich on the longer flights.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL PM
Flying DTW-AMS in D1 on Saturday but did not yet receive the T-3 day email for meal selection. Does it typically come out exactly 72 hours before departure? I thought I read it was usually sent early in the morning.

Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:16 pm

I've flown of late between Amsterdam and smaller U.K. airports. In each case, only the first two rows were used as business-class. The seat may not be as wide, but the legroom wasn't noticeable less than U.S. first-class on a comparable plane. For 1-hour or 90-minute flights, there was more food and more alcohol than Delta. Pre-departure beverages aren't 100% on U.S. airlines. I had a meal and a choice of drinks, including alcohol. I'd much rather fly this than Delta on 1-hour flights from Detroit to New York or Washington.
Have to agree with this. I don't fly EU J all that often (a couple flights a year), but in my limited experience, the overall experience on KL for short flights is better than DL's short flights. I was in 1A on a DL CRJ9 recently, and was thinking, "wow have they shrunk the pitch again? I don't remember being this close to the bulkhead." Although the seat is clearly not as good, I have never been uncomfortable on my EU flights and even on the E190, the seat next to me has always been empty. KL's FAs are attentive, you get a meal, and plenty to drink. On DL, you get a PDB (usually), and one drink in flight (two if you if get up and beg for another) and one pass at the snack basket (unless they "can't find it"). One of my recent flights, the FAs could not find the snack basket, I asked them where the snack basket was, and viola, a snack basket appeared...hmmm.

Small improvements in amenities on DL would go a long way, but really, anything that would bring more consistency is what I want.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ElliottMB
Flying DTW-AMS in D1 on Saturday but did not yet receive the T-3 day email for meal selection. Does it typically come out exactly 72 hours before departure? I thought I read it was usually sent early in the morning.

Thanks!
My last two pre-select emails have come between 6 and 7 p.m. Eastern on the third day before departure.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If you are 1.78 meter then it doesn't matter, if you are 1.86 meter or more those 5" are a considerable difference. 32" isn't standard on EU airlines, you also see planes that have 29-30" in business. Add the seat width and another pax next to you; 2 males with a shoulder width of 20-22" sitting next to each other and you have a 6+" deficit.
Can't recall when they didn't offer me a PDB on Delta.

Try the 1-hour BRU or DUS-AMS trip, no alcohol, only a pre-packed bottle of water or orange juice. You will get alcohol and the cold box with a sandwich on the longer flights.
Just flew CDG-AMS and AMS-DUB. CDG-AMS isn't even 45 minutes. Still got a selection of sandwiches to pick from, dessert, and salad. Plus drink of course. Maybe you're thinking of Y? I'm not sure of the service on KLM Y intra Europe as I'm always connecting as part of a larger itin.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Maybe you're thinking of Y?
No, J on their Embraer's (BRU & DUS) in response to post 702 and later 705
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No, J on their Embraer's (BRU & DUS) in response to post 702 and later 705
You still get a cold meal box and drinks in J on E190. At least on my last E190 flight I did.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You still get a cold meal box and drinks in J on E190. At least on my last E190 flight I did.
On the longer flights, yes as earlier mentioned in post 706. You woudn't get those on the DUS or BRU ones, just the bag as usual. Done flying this year but hope to see drinks etc in 2-3 weeks as i have a 'BRU Embraer' coming up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.