Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I’m going out of JFK today and did not get any emails...
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:58 am

Wow, this has STILL not rolled out everywhere DL departs?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL GM, AS; Marriott and SPG Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Justin026
Alaska has a nicely integrated system for domestic first class. A button comes up when checking in with the phone app offering the same choices they will later have on board.

Since the choices are the same, I can't see why this inconveniences the airline, especially when flying from a hub. It just allows them to load the two choices in the right mix.
I imagine DL doesn't want to do it because of the expectations it carries with it. If you're going to bother to offer meal selection you can't muck it up. Which definitely does create a logistical challenge to have such a system work seamlessly.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by hoshattack
I imagine DL doesn't want to do it because of the expectations it carries with it. If you're going to bother to offer meal selection you can't muck it up. Which definitely does create a logistical challenge to have such a system work seamlessly.
Originally Posted by rizrizriz
Wow, this has STILL not rolled out everywhere DL departs?

Hey you guys, take just a minute to read the the thread: Delta is now offering this out of JFK and ATL and will expand to other airports in the future.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: DL
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ijgordon

Well, if preordering is available on your flight, you can expect to get an email 3 days beforehand, per the release linked above.
I like this. This is the one issue I have with AA. You can't place order till 30 days out (which is longer then DL). However then no reminder. Thus I end up forgetting to do it.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I like this. This is the one issue I have with AA. You can't place order till 30 days out (which is longer then DL). However then no reminder. Thus I end up forgetting to do it.
I'm pretty certain I've gotten emails from AA.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Does this exist yet? I have a fight jfk to ams this weekend and still nothing.
Old May 15, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Delta expands meal pre-select program: intl + domestic

https://news.delta.com/pick-your-pla...ational-routes

Effective June 1, Pre-ordering expands to several TATL and TPAC markets. Just a matter of time before all Intercontinental routes will have pre-ordering available. All of the competitive routes will see pre-ordering. Unfortunately others, such as SEA-HKG, DTW-NGO, and ATL-JNB will not see pre-ordering yet.
Old May 15, 2018, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Too bad they can’t expand the pajamas to more TATL and TPAC flights ��
Old May 15, 2018, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Surprised to see it on RDU - CDG since I don't consider that a particularly competitive route (competing against AA on RDU - LHR for Europe bound traffic but that's it).

Looks like it's only outbound though which is a bit disappointing -- hopefully they'll be able to roll it out to these markets for the inbound in relatively short order
Old May 16, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: Skymiles GM
I don't think it is competitive, I think it is more like hub versus focus city for outstation, who does the ground handling, and who the caterer is. I think this is a nice benefit so look forward to experiencing it soon.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: Status? What's status?
Originally Posted by Duke787
Surprised to see it on RDU - CDG since I don't consider that a particularly competitive route (competing against AA on RDU - LHR for Europe bound traffic but that's it).

Looks like it's only outbound though which is a bit disappointing -- hopefully they'll be able to roll it out to these markets for the inbound in relatively short order
Might not be much involved in providing the choice on a route like this. I could see a route like this having more limited options than perhaps a flight out of JFK, and providing this choice to passengers would only change the quantity of each option that is catered. We will have to see if we can get data on whether additional options are available by selecting early, or if the choices are the same but you just get to choose ahead of time.
Old May 16, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
While I file this into the "nice to have" category, I've never been denied my first choice of meal in J, so it's not really something I needed. And the one exception (JPML) could already be pre-ordered.

Domestic F is where this would be a win.
Old May 16, 2018, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is crazy not to offer this on any flight which offers a choice of meal, whether international or not. All this affects is catering levels and there is no reason why if 100% of the D1 passengers want the beef dish, that number can't be catered. If DL can handle special meals, it can handle this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.