Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I would doubt that it is like Book The Cook. The similarities between DL service and SQ service kind of end with the fact that they both fly airplanes.
A problem with SQ style book the cook extensive offerings beyond regular meals is what happens if the person who ordered the meal changes flights at the last minute or misses the flight and the FC seat is filled with another passenger? This is much less likely on international long haul flights, but currently if the flight is catered with less normal food because some people ordered a special meals and didn't make the flight, other passengers could be stuck with the special meal against their will. For domestic, the easy fix would be to allow preorders perhaps from an expanded list of special meals, but still no special meals on domestic flights. Otherwise the duplicate catering combined with the added cost of coordinating the orders could get expensive.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I wish they'd make everyone wear a name badge with a "Hello, my name is_____, I paid _____". Sure would solve a lot of the DYKWIA. Sort upgrades, boarding, everything by the number.
Except it wouldn't. Because DYKWIA comes from Mr. "I paid $400 for this flight and do so 17 times a week, who the hell are you paying $550 for your one flight this year?"
Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
I wish they'd make everyone wear a name badge with a "Hello, my name is_____, I paid _____". Sure would solve a lot of the DYKWIA. Sort upgrades, boarding, everything by the number.
Yes, and then that DM on the M fare can see this guy bought a G fare on the 6am and just did an SDC and isn't anything at all.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Multiple Folks
Yeah I'm curious as to how this will work with day of departure upgrades for RUC/GUC. Does that mean for D1 you will just get the 'leftovers' of what isn't already picked?
Think through this. It will be better for those last minute upgrades.

In the past, they might have two choices. Some people often got "leftovers" then. Actually, that was rather normal.

Under the NEW scenario, many of the folks will already have pre-ordered, so those are already loaded with the EXACT CORRECT mix.

The rest will be a mix of course. But, those that did not pre-select will not be "fighting" with other passengers for that mix.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Think through this. It will be better for those last minute upgrades.

In the past, they might have two choices. Some people often got "leftovers" then. Actually, that was rather normal.

Under the NEW scenario, many of the folks will already have pre-ordered, so those are already loaded with the EXACT CORRECT mix.

The rest will be a mix of course. But, those that did not pre-select will not be "fighting" with other passengers for that mix.
Let's assume that DL loads the same number of meals in total, with the same mix (suppose it's 50-50 between meal A and meal B) of the standard meals for those who did not preorder. Suppose, as now for most domestic flights, that DL loads exactly one meal for each FC seat and there aren't any crew meals that can be offered to unhappy passengers. For simplicity, assume that the aircraft has 20 FC seats and all are occupied. Also to make the case more favorable for the new system, assume that everyone who ordered a meal in advance is on the flight and wants to consume their selection; no one is trying to change their mind about their choice.

In one scenario, if ten people have preordered, there are ten people remaining who (let's assume again for simplicity) prefer A or B with 50-50 probability, identically and independently distributed. For everyone to get their choice, we need to have exactly 5 request A and 5 request B.

In the other scenario, perhaps under the current system, no one preorders a meal. Now we have 20 random drawings for A versus B with 50-50 probability, iid, and we need to have exactly 10 pick A and 10 pick B.

You're more likely to be at (or close to) the exact 50-50 proportion with larger numbers of iid random drawings, so it's easier with 20 than 10 people picking their meals on board. However, of course with only 10 people who didn't preorder, the other 10 are automatically happy, so from this perspective the chance that some randomly selected passenger from all of those in FC will be unhappy is reduced (due to the 10 who preselected and therefore are automatically happy), but a given passenger who did not or could not preselect is more likely to be happy if no one else has preselected either.

Of course, this assumes that the 50-50 meals loaded reflect consumers' true 50-50 preference for A versus B.

Fun with probability, but I suspect I'm not explaining this very well. It's the same principle as the little trick of flipping an unbiased coin many times and watching the results converge (with very high probability) to be very close to exactly 50% heads and 50% tails.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Fun with probability, but I suspect I'm not explaining this very well.
Nah, I think you're just dramatically over-thinking it.

If you get the seat with < 24 hours - be happy you got the seat (whether it's an upgrade, SDC, or whatnot).
If you get the seat > 24 hours, then you can get the meal you want also.

Can we just keep it at that?
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon

If you get the seat with < 24 hours - be happy you got the seat (whether it's an upgrade, SDC, or whatnot).

Nah, that wouldn't be any fun!
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by dzflyer
I totally agree but for some people its the end of the world if they dont get their first choice. I could care less if i dont get my first choice but if i can choose ahead of time because i am not relying on a comp upgrade than more power to me. There is always the snack basket and woodford if the worst happens.☺👍
Well, I'm just the opposite.

I COULDN'T care less.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by ijgordon

BRILLIANT and way to simple for FT. Must be talked to death before rest of news comes out and we all say - OH, OK!
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
It's about time! Now every other airline needs to start offering this as well. Hopefully this will get the ball rolling... ^^
Old Mar 23, 2016, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
By allowing some pre-ordering, for a given amount of oversupply, Delta can greatly increase the chance that everyone gets what they want.

E.g. 20 F seats, no pre-ordering, 2 extra meals. Assume 2 choices, equally popular. Then Delta wins provided neither meal is requested by 12 or more people (20% over expected).

If 10 people pre-order, there need to be 7 or more ordering the same meal (40% over expected number).

I could do the general arithmetic to show exactly the probabilities that everyone is satisfied or the expected number of dissatisfied customers, but I get paid for that sort of thing.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by dzflyer
If I am getting a comp upgrade im happy to get it. Let the food fall where it may and if i have a dietary restriction its on me not on delta. With that being said why cant delta just stock equal amounts of entrees per seats left in first at the 24 hr mark. It aint rocket science.
Equal amounts of entrees is foolish if people don't have equal amounts of preference of each entree. But Delta has experience in knowing just how popular each entree is likely to be.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by sethb
Equal amounts of entrees is foolish if people don't have equal amounts of preference of each entree. But Delta has experience in knowing just how popular each entree is likely to be.
Im good if delta wants to play the percentage game and everybody still gets a meal they like
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Too bad for all the WL UG's who don't clear til the gate using GUC's.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Too bad for all the WL UG's who don't clear til the gate using GUC's.
We have a better chance of getting our preferred meal if much of the cabin has pre-selected and Delta boarded meals based on that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.