Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by bubbashow
While it is seemingly better than a year or two ago, unless DL seriously steps up FC catering, is it really a loss to get one or the other?
Personally I think Delta does a fine job with catering meals.

In fact, outside of this topic, I would like to see listed when you are picking a flight just what the meal choices are. I can see, for example, connecting LAX-MSP vs LAX-DTW (if seat is the same) if the meal choice is a better on one route vs the other on my way to SBN. @:-)
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
I'm all in favor of this, especially given how often these days I find myself paying in advance for a GAP fare to sit up front. I never minded FEBO in theory, just that in practice the order of service seemed more to depend on the individual FA.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by tomhuber2003
Think about that -- they would need twice the number of meals as needed and the unused ones will go to waste. They stock about an even number of the entree choices plus a few for crew and possible wastage.
Stuff goes to waste all the time. A couple of days ago on a delayed ATL-LGA 13 of 16 F pax (were they paid? upgraded? who cares!) declined meal service because everyone just ate in the airport during the delay.

Back on topic, I'm all in favor of this service. Indeed, I've had it for years traveling internationally in Y (via SPML). I can't even remember the last time I got a gate upgrade... in the unlikely event it were to happen I'd probably already have food with me.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:16 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
The supposed AA policy of E/W N/S that was referred to is the subject of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-sep-14-a.html
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Even more of an incentive to actually pay for the service desired.
The cost/payment of "free" benefits (whether upgrades or anything else) is amortized over the customer's purchases in the qualifying period.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP,LFP~3 MM; MarriottRewards, LFP; Avis 1st; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak
The supposed AA policy of E/W N/S that was referred to is the subject of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-sep-14-a.html
Thanks. My biggest challenge on FT is keeping track of threads (obviously I read more than post). It will be interesting to ready why you say "supposed policy" since I saw it in the official rules (not that that matters much in RL).

I just think it is fun to cross-post AA stuff over here, but I was born an anarchist.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by tomhuber2003
Thanks. My biggest challenge on FT is keeping track of threads (obviously I read more than post). It will be interesting to ready why you say "supposed policy" since I saw it in the official rules (not that that matters much in RL).

I just think it is fun to cross-post AA stuff over here, but I was born an anarchist.
I only threw in "supposed" based on things like what you said and a quick scan that suggest actual application of it can be spotty but I definitely have no first-hand knowledge and am just a lurker on the AA forum.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Good news at DL ^ Glad they're finally catching up to AA on this one, as I hate playing the FEBO game. For one FEBO is inconsistent at best and yet I prefer bulkheads in most cases so if it is followed on an odd-numbered flight, I'm at the end of the line for meal choice, so on an odd-numbered flight, I have to decide between "middle of the cabin" and then not caring too much if FEBO is followed or picking the bulkhead and hoping FEBO isn't followed.

The only other "issue" I see is SDC with FC fares, but I guess that's not too much different now when you didn't have a choice anyway (you just have to hope there's an extra of the choice you wanted loaded onto the plane).
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
...I prefer bulkheads in most cases so if it is followed on an odd-numbered flight, I'm at the end of the line for meal choice, so on an odd-numbered flight, I have to decide between "middle of the cabin" and then not caring too much if FEBO is followed or picking the bulkhead and hoping FEBO isn't followed.
As a 1B enthusiast, this is precisely my line of thinking as well.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Zorak
The cost/payment of "free" benefits (whether upgrades or anything else) is amortized over the customer's purchases in the qualifying period.
It is clear that DL (nor probably any other successful for-profit company) truly believes that. What have you done for me lately?
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Since I've rarely not received my first choice and I don't have food allergies or an extreme aversion to any specific food, this isn't a big deal for me. However, if it's like the Singapore Airlines version where you get to preselect from a bunch of different choices, not just the two that would be catered anyway, then that would be very cool.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by anon2k2
Since I've rarely not received my first choice and I don't have food allergies or an extreme aversion to any specific food, this isn't a big deal for me. However, if it's like the Singapore Airlines version where you get to preselect from a bunch of different choices, not just the two that would be catered anyway, then that would be very cool.
I would doubt that it is like Book The Cook. The similarities between DL service and SQ service kind of end with the fact that they both fly airplanes.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:46 pm

Yay! I like this, especially since I'm not a picky eater, but sometimes if the 2 menu choices aren't all that great, I'll know ahead of time to bring food onboard. Looking forward to this!
Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by dzflyer
Sample data point from flying first class a few times on american this yr due to delta not valuing my loyalty I havent seen anyone not get their meal choice.
As a recovering AA EXP, I have to offer a caveat to that statement: I would offer that about 25% of the time, my pre-order option was not acknowledged by the FA. Paid F and no issue with the 24 hour ordering cut-off. Even so, I can count on one hand the times that the pre-selected meal wasn't available.

Pre-order was one of the only redeeming qualities of AA domestic F. I'm glad that DL is catching up. Unfortunately for me, the majority of my flying is from BOS to DTW so, lite bites for me
Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
This would be a great change, especially if it's done before my mid-April D1 flight...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.