Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: delta dm
If I am getting a comp upgrade im happy to get it. Let the food fall where it may and if i have a dietary restriction its on me not on delta. With that being said why cant delta just stock equal amounts of entrees per seats left in first at the 24 hr mark. It aint rocket science.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP,LFP~3 MM; MarriottRewards, LFP; Avis 1st; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What is E/W N/S --???

BTW, she probably violated her employer's policy in showin your her "rule book" (my term), so don't post the flight and date anywhere unless you want to get her in trouble.
East/West, North/South -- the rules were clear about Front to Back or Back to Front based on direction (I forget which was which). FEBO has been gone since the merger but according to her only recently did they get around to updating the rules.

It was a nameless flight between nameless destinations lol.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dzflyer
If I am getting a comp upgrade im happy to get it. Let the food fall where it may and if i have a dietary restriction its on me not on delta. With that being said why cant delta just stock equal amounts of entrees per seats left in first at the 24 hr mark. It aint rocket science.
They shouldn't and don't currently stock equal amounts of each choice. From historical data, DL knows which meal choices are more popular and the percentages chosen on average depending on what the list of choices is.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
About time
+1

Think about that -- they would need twice the number of meals as needed and the unused ones will go to waste. They stock about an even number of the entree choices plus a few for crew and possible wastage. It makes economic sense.

I have been in 1st and just asked for stuff from the Economy food cart when the entree left doesn't work for me.

Ok then stock meals based on percentages at the 24 hour mark so everyone gets what they want....the odd even flights has always been bogus in my opinion anyway....it leaves the comp upgrade person out because they have last choice of seat which also likely will not let them get the meal choice they want anyway
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:42 am

What is E/W N/S --???
I am guessing East/West - North/South.

As an FA walks down the cabin this will co-relate to 1 A/B, 1 C/D then row 2 and so on.

I see the question already answered above..
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
What is E/W N/S --???

BTW, she probably violated her employer's policy in showin your her "rule book" (my term), so don't post the flight and date anywhere unless you want to get her in trouble.
East/West or North/South. All eastbound flights go front to back for meal requests and all westbound flights go back to front (or vice versa, and similar for north/south.)
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: DL DM
Ok then stock meals based on percentages at the 24 hour mark so everyone gets what they want....the odd even flights has always been bogus in my opinion anyway....it leaves the comp upgrade person out because they have last choice of seat which also likely will not let them get the meal choice they want anyway
While it is seemingly better than a year or two ago, unless DL seriously steps up FC catering, is it really a loss to get one or the other?
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by tomhuber2003
Think about that -- they would need twice the number of meals as needed and the unused ones will go to waste. They stock about an even number of the entree choices plus a few for crew and possible wastage. It makes economic sense.

I have been in 1st and just asked for stuff from the Economy food cart when the entree left doesn't work for me.
Your right with all that profit they made they couldnt pull it off
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow
While it is seemingly better than a year or two ago, unless DL seriously steps up FC catering, is it really a loss to get one or the other?
I totally agree but for some people its the end of the world if they dont get their first choice. I could care less if i dont get my first choice but if i can choose ahead of time because i am not relying on a comp upgrade than more power to me. There is always the snack basket and woodford if the worst happens.☺👍
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by tomhuber2003
An AA F/A showed me her official "rules" book (don't know what it is called). FEBO is out and it is E/W N/S -- but she admitted that many of the FA's forget and just do FEBO even though the flights are no longer Odd/Even on same routes.

It was interesting -- she was in a mood to dump on AA since the merger and I got an EARFUL. Lots of "inside baseball" stuff.
What I meant was that AA allows passengers to pre-select meals. Not all do, of course, and AA still specifies an order for those. Not having to worry about the order, on either airline, is for those who order meals ahead.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by javabytes
Nice to see DL catching up to AA on this one, and that worrying about whether or not FEBO is followed will be a thing of the past. Or knowing ahead of time that the meal on board is garbage and I should get something from the terminal.
+1

About time
+1

Also why should someone who got a comp upgrade get to choose before someone who paid for first because they are on an odd or even numbered flight? It makes no sense.
^^

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Even more of an incentive to actually pay for the service desired.
Totally agree with Bubba on this one. If I am on say a paid J or paid F (irrelevant if it is OPM before anyone comments) - it would royally piss me off if someone on an Free UG/OpUp last minute or otherwise, got their meal choice and I did not - I would be royally pissed off.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Mar 23, 2016 at 12:59 pm
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Delta soon to allow 1st class & D1 to preselect meal choice at booking

Per Delta rep Catherine Sirna

“Delta passengers in First Class or Delta One will be able to preselect the meal of their choice when booking, or up to 24 hours prior to departure, via Delta.com.”

Source is my blog post here.
When does this start and how do we select meals for tickets already purchased?

I have D1 tickets that are several months out with the next run in 10 days.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
What I meant was that AA allows passengers to pre-select meals. Not all do, of course, and AA still specifies an order for those. Not having to worry about the order, on either airline, is for those who order meals ahead.
Up to 24 hours -- if I get the "100 hour" upgrade I can select. I understand the economics of taking what is available for gate upgrades.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.