Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by gooselee
Barring significant IRROPS where they are prioritizing people actively traveling that day, getting a reasonably quick (within a few hours) resolution like this via Twitter is pretty standard.

I also don't use Twitter regularly and have had my beef with DL Twitter specifically in the past. But, it is the perfect channel for non-time-sensitive stuff like this.

There have been others in this thread steadfastly resistant to Twitter in general. All I'd say on that is tou don't have to like it, but realize it is a tool available to you as a customer, and it is the right tool for certain situations.
Maybe I'll even get my own Twitter account someday. (And by then, Twitter itself will probably be used only by other dinosaurs, too ) Using Twitter as a *private* DM is quite different that "broadcasting", etc.

It did work. And when I wrote "Their response time was astonishingly fast", I really meant "astonishingly"... as in, within a minute mostly, and the longest time (on a different day) was maybe 3 minutes. That is pretty amazing. I guess there was *nothing* else going wrong anywhere!

GC
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:58 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
LAX-ATL
STEEL-CUT OATMEAL AND QUINOA
with peaches, pineapple, apples, almonds, & cranberries
TURKEY BACON AND CHEDDAR OMELET
served with seasoned potatoes and Italian chicken sausage

ATL-BRU
HERB MARINATED CHICKEN
with lemon and parsley rice, a medley of roasted zucchini, yellow peppers and grape tomatoes, served with tzatziki sauce
FRESH MOZZARELLA LASAGNA*
with Calabrian tomato sauce
*vegetarian selection
BEEF TENDERLOIN
with yukon gold mashed potatoes, green beans and shallots served with mushroom demi-glace
HALIBUT
with corn mousseline served with grape tomato, red onion and fresh tarragon salad
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:03 am

AeroMexico now seems to allow you to select meal

Got an email today for flight from SFO to MEX over the weekend.
While online I also saw could select meal for MEX to ICN.
Maybe its known already. But not sure, and seems AeroMexico does not have its own Forum.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:33 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
Originally Posted by DL2SXM

This is not the 90's anymore. To many people still have that entitlement attitude.
Which is so well evidenced in these forums
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:32 pm

Upcoming Flight:
  1. Grilled Chicken Salad (asparagus, strawberry and oranges, with balsamic vinaigrette)
  2. Shredded BBQ Chicken Sliders (on brioche rolls)
I went with the Grilled Chicken Salad, I have had it before and find it to be pretty good. I generally leave off the Grilled Chicken, not because I am a Vegetarian or anything like that, I just do not like cold proteins.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:00 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
SEA to HNL upcoming

Asian Barbeque Short rib over jasmine rice with scallions, Fresno peppers, broccoli, and toasted seaseme seed

Grilled Salmon with tomato bacon jam, sugar snap pea, carrot, mushroom, and potato hash.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: -- DL DM, MR Lifetime TE, HH Diamond, National Something???
Question Ordering meals on international flights question

We are flying Business Class DTW-CDG rt September 5 and returning September 18. Will I receive an email asking me to make meal selections before the flights like is done when flying within the states?

I called the Delta 800 number and the customer representative did not understand what I was asking about. I called a second time and the representative said the ability to make meal selections on flights within the states did not exist and also did not exist for international flights but I could order specialty meals through her.

Thanks.........Lane
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Yes you should get the email:
If for whatever reason you do not I would suggest reaching out to the Twitter team.

On another note it amazes that DL agents still have a problem with SDC rules (years later on paid F) and other things like this. Makes one wonder what the actual training is.
Lane412000 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by apodo77
Yes you should get the email:
If for whatever reason you do not I would suggest reaching out to the Twitter team.

On another note it amazes that DL agents still have a problem with SDC rules (years later on paid F) and other things like this. Makes one wonder what the actual training is.
I don't think Delta actually trains their agents these days. I'd guess that they're told to sit in front of a computer and follow the prompts. Those that are intellectually curious (small minority) know more, but most don't bother. This is a side effect of a good economy taking more ambitious and intelligent people out of the frontline customer service industry.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's also an enforced culture of "make things that cost Delta money more difficult" even if that means feigning ignorance of basic rules. SDC almost certainly costs Delta money, hence the higher-level reluctance to streamline the process.

As to the meal pre-order system, it's already haphazard (AA's process is vastly superior), so I wouldn't expect it to be widely known among Delta employees.
Lane412000 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:41 pm

Pre-ordering Delta One Meal JFK to LHR

Just got my email from Delta to preselect my meal for my trip on Wednesday. It's my second time flying in business so not that familiar with what's generally good to select or avoid. If anyone has some insight or has had any of these with Delta it would be much appreciated.

1) Braised Short Rib - mascarpone polenta, pepperonata, haricot verts, black pepper jus
2) Slow Roasted Chicken Breast - pearl couscous, broccolini, tomato-pecorino pesto
3) Baked Rigatoni - basil cream, parmigiana-reggiano, Swiss chard, summer vegetables
4) Shrimp Scampi - potato puree, sautéed spinach, summer squash

Also, does anyone know if I will be able to use the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at JFK if it's a direct flight to LHR (and the Virgin Atlantic Revivals Lounge in LHR)? I booked my flight through Delta and it's a Delta flight if it means anything. Thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
I’ve had the braised short ribs. Excellent.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Honestly, I'd avoid the chicken because, well, it's airplane chicken. The others are all good depending on your palate!
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Lane412000
We are flying Business Class DTW-CDG rt September 5 and returning September 18. Will I receive an email asking me to make meal selections before the flights like is done when flying within the states?

I called the Delta 800 number and the customer representative did not understand what I was asking about. I called a second time and the representative said the ability to make meal selections on flights within the states did not exist and also did not exist for international flights but I could order specialty meals through her.

Thanks.........Lane
As long as your email address is on file, you should get an email 70 hours before your flight. One time I got mine 30 hours before, but 70 seems pretty consistent.
Lane412000 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I had the shrimp scampi last week, it was pretty good.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: VS Gold
Originally Posted by matthewnyc
Also, does anyone know if I will be able to use the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at JFK if it's a direct flight to LHR (and the Virgin Atlantic Revivals Lounge in LHR)?
Yes and yes :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.