Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sethb
I have a little wager to offer you . . .

(1) We flip a coin 10 times. If the number of heads isn't 5, you pay me $10 each for the difference (either way, it represents an unhappy customer). Repeat 10 times. This is the probability of being unhappy with 10 passengers.

(2) We flip a coin 100 times. If the number of heads isn't 50, I pay you $10 each for the difference (either way). This is the probability of being unhappy with 100 customers.

You say they're equal, so that would be a fair bet. I'll pay you $20 to do it.
Your experiment is not based on probabilities but rather on raw numbers.

To do this correctly, since I am flying 10 flights, so should you.

Or alternatively, we both fly one flight.

Remember, the proposition was, the probability of not getting your meal on a flight is independent of the number of passengers on that flight, ceteris paribus.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Bicostal

Remember, the proposition was, the probability of not getting your meal on a flight is independent of the number of passengers on that flight, ceteris paribus.
His experiment certainly is based on probabilities. As the number of samples goes up, the more likely the true probability will be represented in the results.

You're proposing to do a one-time experiment and then use anecdotal evidence to settle the question. Not exactly a statistically valid proposal.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Thanks, TrojanTraveler and MSPeconomist; all of the talk about differentiations in service got me thinking about what the FAs actually see on the manifests. Then I recalled, from way back when on a transpac flight with UA wondering in the galley and noticing that the manifests had $$$ signs next to the various FF statuses. I remember thinking that the $ signs were hilarious. I guess they were generated by Fastair or Apollo or whatever system they were using. Perhaps it was an omen of things to come
I once saw a purser's seat map on SQ in IFC marked with *really large* $$$ signs, hearts, and diamonds.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Apr 1, 2016 at 9:56 am
Old Apr 2, 2016, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Howste
His experiment certainly is based on probabilities. As the number of samples goes up, the more likely the true probability will be represented in the results.

You're proposing to do a one-time experiment and then use anecdotal evidence to settle the question. Not exactly a statistically valid proposal.
I propose to do as many experiments as you like. Arguing central limit theorem is not on point.

The probability of being unhappy in meal choices on a flight is independent of the number of passengers, ceteris paribus.

The number of unhappy passengers increases as the number of passengers on the flight goes up.

The probability is invariant.

There is no anecdote involved. Its simple math.

Now, if you want to play the raw numbers game, I'm in. You fly 1 trip, I fly 1 trip - you with 100 and me with 10. I pay you $10 for each unhappy passenger and you pay me $10 for each unhappy passenger.

Lather rinse repeat - as many times as you want.

I win, you lose.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Air Houston
Sadly, a PB&J sandwich would be an improvement over many domestic First meals.
which is why Delta needs to change the way the system works. If you paid for F you get a decent meal and get to order ahead of time. If you bought a cheap sLUT fare and get a comp upgrade, you can have that PB&J Sammy. I don't know why so many people have a problem with that. I would love for DL to do that. Also, if you do get a comp upgrade, let it be an option in your itineraries section to upgrade your meal option at a cost.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

And my experiment is exactly that, the probability of (not) getting what you want under specific assumptions, with the only difference being the number of "passengers" on each flight.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I propose to do as many experiments as you like. Arguing central limit theorem is not on point.

The probability of being unhappy in meal choices on a flight is independent of the number of passengers, ceteris paribus.
Proof by blatant assertion.

The number of unhappy passengers increases as the number of passengers on the flight goes up.

The probability is invariant.

There is no anecdote involved. Its simple math.
The math says you're wrong. I suggested a simple experiment to prove it.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
which is why Delta needs to change the way the system works. If you paid for F you get a decent meal and get to order ahead of time. If you bought a cheap sLUT fare and get a comp upgrade, you can have that PB&J Sammy. I don't know why so many people have a problem with that. I would love for DL to do that. Also, if you do get a comp upgrade, let it be an option in your itineraries section to upgrade your meal option at a cost.
Perhaps you are unaware, despite it being mentioned before, that Delta advertises "First Class Upgrades", not "Upgrades to a front cabin seat with less-than-First-Class service".
Old Apr 2, 2016, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
LOL This thread certainly has its share of probe-ability and sadistical inference.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
There's a good chance that the elite with the free upgrade doesn't ahve a sLUT(XV) fare but rather has paid more for his/her ticket than the person who "paid" for FC. Compare G A P fares to Y B M.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by sethb

The math says you're wrong. I suggested a simple experiment to prove it.
But your experiment is based on numbers, not probabilities. Play again?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:33 am

And just to be clear, the experiment should reflect the proposition that with preordering available, those who do not are worse off because the chance of not getting their meal choice goes up as the number of passengers on that flight goes down.

It's about probability on a flight, one flight different numbers of passengers, not different number of flights with the same cumulative number of passengers.

It's the 10 and 100 passenger flight, not the 1 and 10 flights with a total of 100 passengers.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's a good chance that the elite with the free upgrade doesn't ahve a sLUT(XV) fare but rather has paid more for his/her ticket than the person who "paid" for FC. Compare G A P fares to Y B M.
Something i wondered about since the thread started: what about those who paid more in Y ( even in Y- if Y+ was already full ) as some customers up front? I guess that there are many, many flights with people in the back who paid 2x/3x more for tickets bought within 48 hours of the flight the most of the so called "paid 1st class" customers? Shouldn't these customers getting first choice on dinner selection...?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
These "I am more entitled because..." threads start out amusing, then grow tedious as the content becomes repetitiously redundant.

But, like any unfolding disaster, it is hard not to watch.

"I bought a full F fare, with my own money. I did so 6 weeks out. And, my heart was pure when I did so. I'm also a double DM and a 3 MM. So, I demand first meal choice!!!"
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
These "I am more entitled because..." threads start out amusing, then grow tedious as the content becomes repetitiously redundant.

But, like any unfolding disaster, it is hard not to watch.

"I bought a full F fare, with my own money. I did so 6 weeks out. And, my heart was pure when I did so. I'm also a double DM and a 3 MM. So, I demand first meal choice!!!"
I don't know why this is even a debate. What's next, upgrades only get the bulkhead, or the non-reclining rear seat? They only get the coach wine, instead of the FC wine? The FA swaps out the Malin+Goetz hand soap for the economy soap whenever they see an upgrade passenger approach the lav?

FC is FC. Period. Deal with it. If I'm an upgrade and take the last of the meal option that a FC revenue passenger wanted, oh well. That's life. Being able to preorder your food would fix this "problem" anyway, which is what this thread is supposed to be about.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.