Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes upgrades should count at least somewhat. They're earned and sometimes also paid for with GUCs/RUCs/miles. By your logic, one could also argue that G A P fares shouldn't count either as the person hasn't paid the FULL F or FULL J/C fare and therefore should happily accept the leftovers.

In fact, why not make anyone in a premium cabin who hasn't paid the FULL F or FULL J/C fare wear sackcloth, a dunce cap, and a great big sign saying that they don't really deserve to be up front? FAs could make a point of serving them only coach meals or offering the coach food that's for sale (and charging an additional fee, in addition to the coach price, to bring it to the passenger in the premium cabin.
I truly believe that paid F should get a decent meal, pre-ordered. Anyone else should have the option but at an extra fee, other wise you can get whatever is left on the food cart. Why should someone who got into F on a comp upgrade get the same meal as someone who paid for F?

Last edited by DL2SXM; Mar 25, 2016 at 6:24 am
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My point of view is that if you're seated up front, it should be the same experience regardless of how you got there. Only caveat is if a DL non-rev then they should be asked to give up their meal etc if they run out and another pax wanted that selection.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Why should someone who got into F on a comp upgrade get the same meal as someone who paid for F?
Because they got an upgrade. Not a partial upgrade, not a kind of sort of upgrade, but an upgrade. Furthermore, most pax who get complimentary upgrades have paid for them by spending enough money to earn elite status. In fact, that DM who only buys Y tickets but has the "free" upgrade is a much more profitable customer than someone who only flies paid F a couple times a year.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Because they got an upgrade. Not a partial upgrade, not a kind of sort of upgrade, but an upgrade. Furthermore, most pax who get complimentary upgrades have paid for them by spending enough money to earn elite status. In fact, that DM who only buys Y tickets but has the "free" upgrade is a much more profitable customer than someone who only flies paid F a couple times a year.
And because of FCM, it is more likely the DM that did get the UG is on a higher Y fare then the guy next to him that bought a G fare. Maybe meal selection should be set by price of ticket
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, if half of the FC cabin preorders a meal, I would expect DL to reduce the surplus from two to one.
Half a meal of each?
Old Mar 25, 2016, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Bicostal
The probability of being unhappy is independent pf the number of passengers. It's always going to be a maximum of half. The number of unhappy is less with fewer but the chances are always the same if you haven't preselected as long as the rest of the assumptions you posit hold.
I have a little wager to offer you . . .

(1) We flip a coin 10 times. If the number of heads isn't 5, you pay me $10 each for the difference (either way, it represents an unhappy customer). Repeat 10 times. This is the probability of being unhappy with 10 passengers.

(2) We flip a coin 100 times. If the number of heads isn't 50, I pay you $10 each for the difference (either way). This is the probability of being unhappy with 100 customers.

You say they're equal, so that would be a fair bet. I'll pay you $20 to do it.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I truly believe that paid F should get a decent meal, pre-ordered. Anyone else should have the option but at an extra fee, other wise you can get whatever is left on the food cart. Why should someone who got into F on a comp upgrade get the same meal as someone who paid for F?
Because if they don't, Delta would have to change its advertising to say "free upgrades to something that's almost, but not quite, as good as F".
Old Mar 25, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Because the pre-order allows more total pax to get their meal choice.

The pre-order does not take away a meal choice from a paid F pax.

The pre-order allows DL to correctly cater the plane with meals pax want.

It really is a no brainer to allow pre-selection, and should apply as broadly as the system can handle.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
if you buy an F fare, than you should automatically have the option to pre-order. You spent the money on the F fare, you deserve a decent meal. If you bought a coach fare and got upgraded one way or another, then choosing a meal should be in the trip extra section of the itin. You want a decent meal in F but you paid for Y, then pay for it or get whats left on the cart. Plain and simple. I would have no problem with this.

This is not the 90's anymore. To many people still have that entitlement attitude.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by gooselee
Re: surplus meals - I take lots of ATL-LGA (and return) flights in 16F M88/M90s.

I very often hear the caterers talking to FAs and see the little checkboxes they draw on the manifest. I specifically have noticed over the past few months that they seem to load 9 of each meal, so one surplus of each. Just today I flew LGA-ATL and heard someone in the galley say "9 chicken salads, 9 strombolis".
And on ABQ-ATL last week the FA's paperwork (clearly visible as she wrote the orders down) said 8/8 (8 grilled chicken salad, 8 turkey wrap). Of course, when the option is "which fowl meal do you want" maybe you don't need to load extra.

The ATL-LGA meal actually looked a lot better (ravioli or some shrimp thing), but the flights into LGA were all delayed due to wind and almost everyone just ate in the terminal.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 2:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
if you buy an F fare, than you should automatically have the option to pre-order. You spent the money on the F fare, you deserve a decent meal. If you bought a coach fare and got upgraded one way or another, then choosing a meal should be in the trip extra section of the itin. You want a decent meal in F but you paid for Y, then pay for it or get whats left on the cart. Plain and simple. I would have no problem with this.

This is not the 90's anymore. To many people still have that entitlement attitude.
Here is the fault in your argument. If this becomes the rule/norm/fact of doing things with Delta, and then things go wrong and I paid for F and do not get what I should, all Delta will do is give me a few $kyRubles as an "I am sorry" and that is just not OK.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
While this is not a direct quote, here's what I read:

if you buy an F fare, then you are entitled to pre-order. You spent the money on the F fare, you are entitled to a decent meal. If you bought a coach fare and got upgraded one way or another, then you are not entitled to choose a meal unless you pay extra. You want a decent meal in F but you paid for Y, then pay for it or get whats left on the cart. Plain and simple. I'm entitled to think this.

Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by bennos
And on ABQ-ATL last week the FA's paperwork (clearly visible as she wrote the orders down) said 8/8 (8 grilled chicken salad, 8 turkey wrap). Of course, when the option is "which fowl meal do you want" maybe you don't need to load extra.

The ATL-LGA meal actually looked a lot better (ravioli or some shrimp thing), but the flights into LGA were all delayed due to wind and almost everyone just ate in the terminal.
Since ATL<>NYC are special routes anyway when it comes to meals, I'm not particularly surprised if they also have unique catering for whatever reason. Perhaps DL thinks it's worth loading the extra meals on a 760-mile flight to hopefully have a couple more happy pax on each mealtime flight.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 12:46 am

At least nonrevs have been able to preselect their meal choice for years. They just look at the menu and choose the worst option.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by bennos
...Of course, when the option is "which foul meal do you want" maybe you don't need to load extra...
Fixed that for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.