Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Platinum AMEX Companion Certificate

Delta Platinum AMEX Companion Certificate

Old Feb 16, 18, 2:25 pm

Yeah - the cert will get used. No problem there. But this is just a good redemption for it.

Has anyone done what I might need to do?
Old Feb 16, 18, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
But I'm wondering how the return would work. My ticket would get canceled if I'm a no-show on the outbound leg. Are they linked to the extent that her return would be canceled also?
From the Terms and Conditions:
If the primary ticket or the Companion ticket is cancelled, both tickets will be cancelled and the Companion ticket will not be reissued.
Old Feb 16, 18, 3:32 pm

I figured that, but in the real world, does me missing the out-bound equal a cancelation?
Old Feb 16, 18, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
I figured that, but in the real world, does me missing the out-bound equal a cancelation?
So long as the outbound is more than 12-24 hours from the return, cancellation of the return reservation is almost certain - the more hours > 12, the more certain. If the return were to be the same day as the outbound, then there might be a chance the return might not get canceled - maybe. IMO
Old Feb 16, 18, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp View Post
So long as the outbound is more than 12-24 hours from the return, cancellation of the return reservation is almost certain - the more hours > 12, the more certain. If the return were to be the same day as the outbound, then there might be a chance the return might not get canceled - maybe. IMO
Right - I get the me missing my outbound cancels my ticket.

But does it cancel hers, under those scenario?

Real question here is not the theoretical interpretation of the terms, but an actual real-world example. Has anyone been in this specific situation?
Old Mar 27, 18, 8:36 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
I'm a year into the Delta Platinum AMEX card and it's "benefits" and mostly interested in using miles to upgrade a Companion Certificate from simple coach to C+. Possible? How?
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:05 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
The card cancellation info that Amex provides now specifically mentions a certificate clawback. Any data points to report?
Old Mar 27, 18, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta, IHG
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
I'm a year into the Delta Platinum AMEX card and it's "benefits" and mostly interested in using miles to upgrade a Companion Certificate from simple coach to C+. Possible? How?
The only way the Companion Cert can upgrade to C+ is based on status. You cannot spend money or miles to upgrade it.
Old Hickory likes this.
Old Mar 27, 18, 11:26 am

Programs: Delta, IHG
Originally Posted by WWads View Post
The card cancellation info that Amex provides now specifically mentions a certificate clawback. Any data points to report?
I don't see anything specific to a claw back of the certificate in the Offer Terms. Can you copy and paste what you are reading? I am guessing it is referring to people who get the certificate upon the card renewal, then cancel the card within the 30 day refund window to receive the annual fee back.
Old Mar 27, 18, 1:59 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
is this actually new? When I cancelled my Reserve last year the phone agent explicitly mentioned the cert would be revoked but as per the many reports on FT I had no trouble using a different AMEX card to use it.

Either way I agree that recent data points would be useful (esp since I'm about to cancel my DL Plat) -- maybe they've finally tightened up that part of their IT.
Old Mar 27, 18, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
"Upon completing this cancellation, you will no longer be eligible for an annual companion certificate. Any existing unredeemed companion certificates will now be void"
Old Mar 27, 18, 5:29 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
"Upon completing this cancellation, you will no longer be eligible for an annual companion certificate. Any existing unredeemed companion certificates will now be void"
That is more or less the same thing they read to me over the phone last year. So the language is not new; if they're actually enforcing it now, then that would be.
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Based on that wording, it seems like you could use the cert as soon as it hits, then cancel. Although I am uncertain as to whether they consider the cert being applied as unredeemed or after flights. Regardless, I think there is a way to use it while still cancelling.
Old Apr 7, 18, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL
Companion certificate surcharge?

I am seeing some odd pricing with the companion certificates. The fare for the first passenger with the companion certificate attached is more than the fare without using the companion certificate (I confirmed there are more than two seats available in these fare buckets). Thus, Delta is adding a surcharge of $18.15 in order to use the certificate in the example. I noticed this on several other routes and dates, as well. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone had luck in calling Delta to honor the non-companion certificate price?

Last edited by jaw20; Apr 7, 18 at 7:41 pm
Old Apr 7, 18, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jaw20 View Post
I am seeing some odd pricing with the companion certificates. The fare for the first passenger with the companion certificate attached is more than the fare without using the companion certificate (I confirmed there are more than two seats available in these fare buckets). Thus, Delta is adding a surcharge of $18.15 in order to use the certificate in the example. I noticed this on several other routes and dates, as well. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone had luck in calling Delta to honor the non-companion certificate price?

This isn't new. DL only makes a subset of fares eligible for the companion pass. I'm guessing if you dug into the actual fare codes for the two bookings, one or both of those X or U fares actually has a different underlying fare basis.

Certainly worth calling DL to make sure, but I'd expect them to just tell you that the $358 fare was not valid for use with the companion pass, so you got the next best fare.

Search this Thread