Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TATL D1 food menu, no celebrity chef listed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TATL D1 food menu, no celebrity chef listed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by anon2k2
One of the reasons I tend to get the Cold Plate many times. I figure it was created to be served cold so no reheating necessary.
The cold chicken with orzo pasta is one of my favorite dishes on Delta. Flavors are great, and the chicken hasn't been desiccated by the oven.

Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Some of the best intl meals I've had on DL have been Y AVML meals - go figure. D1 meals - particularly any variant that doesn't have meat have taken a real nose-dive to the bottom of the Marianas trench. I do miss the old BusinessElite meals, where the standard 4 entres included one "meat optional" entres, and the food was palatable (and the service was properly done).
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DL-Don
I know it is hard to believe but my only solution is to look for flights that are timed so I can eat dinner in the airport before departure. The food is better at TGI Friday's than in D1.
That seems a little hyperbolic, but I get your point. Although since I grew up in an orphanage in a third world country, I tend not to get too bent out of shape as long as I'm getting fed at all.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat., SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by WWads
Did the menu say "Winter 2016" or something? I recently had something similar on a TCON flight. The lamb was basically a dog's dinner, and was inedible. The person next to me got the chicken, and didn't seem to be thrilled either. My recent impression is that D1 catering has taken a big step back.
I don't recall whether it said "winter 2016," most likely it did.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dw
The new partnership with Union Square Hospitality for flights out of JFK was supposed to launch this month. Did you notice any mention of that on the menu?

http://www.grubstreet.com/2016/02/da...line-food.html

But if in fact what you received was part of this new partnership, that's not a good sign.
I did not notice any mention of Union Square Hospitality, I don't believe it was mentioned, because my SO and I looked through each page for a celebrity chef's name.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
As part of the DL partnership with Danny Meyer's Union Square Hospitality Group, they have been cycling through the company's restaurants each season on select flights ex-JFK. (First Blue Smoke, then Marta and now, effective 3/1, Union Square Cafe.)

Note this is only "select" destinations, including LHR, CDG, AMS and some other biggies. OP didn't say what his/her destination was, but I assume it was to one of the cities not served by USHG chefs.

By the way, Chiarello's menus are exclusively transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO and back) and some transpacs ex-LAX, and Bernstein's food is on South America flights. There's another ATL-based celebrity chef, Linton Hopkins, whose food flies ex-ATL to some European destinations.

I am a he, and you are indeed correct, it was not to one of those three destinations..
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
If AF had already finished installing lie flat seats I would be avoiding DL D1 because of the poor food quality - usually not well prepared, rarely refined cuisine and even simple dishes are of poor quality & execution. KL catering especially ex-US is meh, but out of AMS can be pretty good. And then there are DO-CO catered flights (OS, TK) <3
Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
As part of the DL partnership with Danny Meyer's Union Square Hospitality Group, they have been cycling through the company's restaurants each season on select flights ex-JFK. (First Blue Smoke, then Marta and now, effective 3/1, Union Square Cafe.)

Note this is only "select" destinations, including LHR, CDG, AMS and some other biggies. OP didn't say what his/her destination was, but I assume it was to one of the cities not served by USHG chefs.

By the way, Chiarello's menus are exclusively transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO and back) and some transpacs ex-LAX, and Bernstein's food is on South America flights. There's another ATL-based celebrity chef, Linton Hopkins, whose food flies ex-ATL to some European destinations.
On D1 SEA-LHR Monday it was a Michael Chiarello menu.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 4:19 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum
Last year, I had the Linton Hopkins menu on ATL-AMS, and it was quite good.

I haven't flown up front in several months now, and you all have me scared. I'm flying BOS-AMS-DEL next week, and I'm really curious what to expect.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by motytrah
I don't understand why any celebrity chef would pair with an airline. It's not like they are involved in the actual meals people eat. If you look at glass door for any of the airline catering companies it's obvious that most are low wage/high turn over operations.
Why wouldn't a celebrity chef pair with an airline? They almost certainly get paid for little more than some recipe development.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
That seems a little hyperbolic, but I get your point. Although since I grew up in an orphanage in a third world country, I tend not to get too bent out of shape as long as I'm getting fed at all.
Not hyperbole... fact.

If DL is going to engage these celebrity chefs then they need to choose chefs that can create a meal that will withstand the airplane ovens and remain a tribute to the chef's culinary skills. Anyone can overcook a filet.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by DL-Don
Not hyperbole... fact.

If DL is going to engage these celebrity chefs then they need to choose chefs that can create a meal that will withstand the airplane ovens and remain a tribute to the chef's culinary skills. Anyone can overcook a filet.
Even the best recipe can still be ruined in the galley.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by motytrah
I don't understand why any celebrity chef would pair with an airline. It's not like they are involved in the actual meals people eat. If you look at glass door for any of the airline catering companies it's obvious that most are low wage/high turn over operations.
As are most restaurant kitchens. The chefs are designing the recipes and processes to be used in the catering kitchens, not supervising the production of the meals themselves.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
--- I grew up in an orphanage in a third world country, I tend not to get too bent out of shape as long as I'm getting fed at all.
Wow that does put it in perspective.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Depending on how this sexual harassment lawsuit goes, I wonder how Delta will handle their relationship with Chiarello.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.