Dinner around ATL Airport

Old Mar 15, 16, 8:44 am

My go to restaurants when I overnight it on Virginia Ave are Malone's for a casual steak/pub food and bar. Spondivits is a seafood place that has good but pricey food and a nice evening crowd. BBQ Kitchen offer good Southern food (breakfast, lunch and dinner) at a great price. BBQ Kitchen accepted credit cards when I was last there in June. The Landmark Diner has a good breakfast. La Fiesta is a good Mexican restaurant that offers great prices on food and drinks. All of these restaurants are on Virginia Ave.
Old Mar 15, 16, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
+1 on One Flew South.
Old Mar 15, 16, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Justin026 View Post
My office is next to the airport and I'd have two up-to-date recommendations:
Manchester Arms is on Virginia Street, a short distance west of "the strip" of tired buildings. Leafy green neighborhood, upscale pub atmosphere, patio, excellent food.
Pecan on Main Street in College Park. Fine dining, excellent food.
Both are easy cab/Uber rides, less than 5 mins. from airport hotels.
Other thoughts:
Marriott Gateway hotel is decent food, sparse menu, $$, very good service staff.
Pig and the Pint worries me, it has changed hands and formats three times in five years.
One Flew South excellent inside the airport.
Oddly my favorite barbecue in GA is the Barbeque Kitchen, wedged into the strip on Virginia. Cash only, with all that implies.

BBQ kitchen takes cards now.

Manchester Arms would be good, though not a very robust menu. Malones is ok, then there is also Ruby Tuesday etc. If you take Uber there are more places around the Camp Creek Marketplace (5-10 min ride) Chili's TGI Fridays, and several other places too.
Old Mar 15, 16, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by sspontak View Post
My go to restaurants when I overnight it on Virginia Ave are Malone's for a casual steak/pub food and bar. Spondivits is a seafood place that has good but pricey food and a nice evening crowd. BBQ Kitchen offer good Southern food (breakfast, lunch and dinner) at a great price. BBQ Kitchen accepted credit cards when I was last there in June. The Landmark Diner has a good breakfast. La Fiesta is a good Mexican restaurant that offers great prices on food and drinks. All of these restaurants are on Virginia Ave.
+1 for Spondivits. Surprised it took 15 posts to get mentioned.
Old Mar 15, 16, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Mexico City during the week, most likely Atlanta on the weekends
Programs: Starriott Platinum Premier/Ambassador, UA 2P, Spend too much time on DL, HH Gold
Corner Grille in College Park is one of my go-to places for a meal around the office here. Manchester Arms is a popular happy hour spot for our team, menu is limited but the fish and chips are solid. Pig and the Pint is our other go-to spot, but it is a bit on the pricey side.

Midtown is a quick 20 minutes away on MARTA, or around a $12-14 Uber from the Delta HQ complex.
Old Mar 15, 16, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by GagaPilot View Post
For a casual dinner, I'd recommend Malone's Bar & Grill. ..... Malone's is right on Virginia Ave within walking distance of many of the airport hotels.
Malone's is a definite candidate - have been there many times when to/from ATL and always a decent meal.
Old Mar 15, 16, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Manchester Arms is on Virginia Street, a short distance west of "the strip" of tired buildings. Leafy green neighborhood, upscale pub atmosphere, patio, excellent food.
Other thoughts:
Marriott Gateway hotel is decent food, sparse menu, $$, very good service staff.
Pig and the Pint worries me, it has changed hands and formats three times in five years.
Oddly my favorite barbecue in GA is the Barbeque Kitchen, wedged into the strip on Virginia. Cash only, with all that implies.
They take credit cards now

edit: should have read page 2 before posting.
Old Mar 15, 16, 10:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
There are LOTS of great restaurants in the city proper, and the airport is only a 15 min drive from the city. I'd highly suggest taking an Uber or Lyft. Recently Uber has had a lot of demand so surge prices have been effect, so don't forget to check Lyft also. I frequently take trips between home (a couple miles from the city center) and the airport, and the ride costs about $15 one way.
Old Mar 16, 16, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: delta diamond, Hilton Diamond
Thanks everyone for the great tips. I will check out your ideas and have dinner at one! Thanks again!
Old Mar 17, 16, 4:30 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN A List
Originally Posted by EVA777 View Post
+1 for Spondivits. Surprised it took 15 posts to get mentioned.
It may have to do with the fact that a patron died in 2007 after eating oysters at Spondivits. This led to a temporary shutdown by the State after numerous food handling issues were found.

Was a sometimes choice for me until then, haven't been back since.
Old Mar 17, 16, 6:56 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, IHG/SPG/MR Plat, HH Gold, UA Silver, EK Kettle, AA Hater
Spondivits can be fun at times, scary at others (late night). OK burgers and fried food.

Manchester Arms for good beer and laid back atmosphere. Food is ok, not great. Definitely overpriced vs. quality.

Hammers....if you want to get....hammered.

Malones sucks. Don't do it.

Happy Buddha for cheap good Chinese - get the Tai Chen Chicken. No atmosphere.

BBQ Kitchen for downhome cooking - no booze. Best meatloaf you've ever had but they don't have it everyday.

La Fiesta - pretty good cheap Mexican..no atmosphere. Good Margaritas.

Italian Place (can't remember name) - Meh

And of course VA Ave is the only place on earth with 3 Waffle Houses in one mile. Hapeville is the home of Jeff Foxworthy.

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Mar 17, 16 at 7:55 am
Old Mar 17, 16, 7:07 am

It may have to do with the fact that a patron died in 2007 after eating oysters at Spondivits. This led to a temporary shutdown by the State after numerous food handling issues were found.

Was a sometimes choice for me until then, haven't been back since.
I didn't realize that happened, good thing I hate oysters.

Wasn't thinking dinner. I was thinking about those HUGE beers. Should have been thinking dinner since that's the title of the thread. I'll still go there - love those Cajun shrimp.
Old Mar 17, 16, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta FO/1.3MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Platinum
+3 on Spondivits.

Not much they could do about the Oysters. You can do everything right and still get a bad one. Had a bad clam one time that I dug and schucked myself minutes after I dug it.

Besides, its all about the Shrimp at Spondivitis anyways. My mouth is watering just thinking about them.
Old Mar 17, 16, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM, 2MM, BA Gold
Other thoughts:
The Pecan is closed. The Brake Pad on Main at Rugby in College Park has good bar food...hamburgers, tacos, salads, etc.
Old Mar 17, 16, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN A List
Originally Posted by ATLCDG View Post
The Pecan is closed. The Brake Pad on Main at Rugby in College Park has good bar food...hamburgers, tacos, salads, etc.
Indeed, the Pecan has closed -. The AJC reports it closed last week.

Brake Pad is a good casual choice, one of our favorite take out places for lunch.