Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Executive upgrade expires early

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE

Yesterday I booked award tickets in January for a family trip. I also used one of my choice benefits to upgrade my SC membership to Executive so I could bring family members in with me. When the Sky Club card in my wallet changed, it showed my Executive membership expires on 11/26/16, and my "upcoming" membership as Individual expiring 1/31/17. This obviously defeats the purpose of using the Executive membership in January.

I called the DM line and asked them what the story was. They put me on hold and after a long wait the agent said that it should correct itself after 24 hours. It's been more than 24 hours, and it still hasn't changed. Has anyone else come across this issue? Does it eventually resolve itself, or will it require some manual intervention by somebody?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Maybe give it 24 hrs over a business day. I am pretty sure DL has a ticket system that queues many one-off things for human intervention (rather than creating automated systems for everything). I would expect that most of these humans only work normal business hours.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
You are dealing with Delta on a weekend.
Certain departments and offices are closed.
Today is Sunday - backing up 24 hours is Saturday.
Tomorrow is a business day give it another 24 hours !
If traveling Monday have the SC agents fix it or put a
request in to make it right.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

I'll wait a few days and see if it fixes itself. If not, I've got plenty of time to work with DL to correct it before January.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
I was told at the Sky Club, that they no longer add the the year at the end of your current membership as in the past. They only time they would do that is if you drop below the Diamond level.

Not sure that is the correct answer, but I have not pursued it any further yet. Do I trust DL to remember my 6 extra months whe I do drop to Pltm, NO!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Singleflyer
I was told at the Sky Club, that they no longer add the the year at the end of your current membership as in the past. They only time they would do that is if you drop below the Diamond level.

Not sure that is the correct answer, but I have not pursued it any further yet. Do I trust DL to remember my 6 extra months whe I do drop to Pltm, NO!
The OP is talking about the Choice Benefit I believe. Choosing it means he should have executive till the end of the 2016 Benefit Year (Jan 2017).

The only time things should get complicated is if you have a current paid Executive membership, and then reach DM gaining free SC individual membership. Usually they'll let you stay at Executive for however long you've paid through, and then add on however many days were remaining when you reached DM as an individual membership once you're no longer DM.

However it has been reported that sometimes they drop you to individual and add the remaining days as an executive membership once you drop from DM.

If anything, DL is consistent at being inconsistent.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

It updated today. Now I have a current Executive Membership valid from 03/12/16 thru 11/26/16, and an upcoming Executive Membership valid from 11/27/16 thru 01/31/17. Case closed.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The OP is talking about the Choice Benefit I believe. Choosing it means he should have executive till the end of the 2016 Benefit Year (Jan 2017).
Yes, I was talking about the Executive upgrade as a choice benefit. I get the individual membership from DM status.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:46 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
I am not sure if this same situation has affected me. In February I paid for an Executive upgrade. I went to an ATL Sky Club with a guest on Monday, but the agent said that I had an Individual membership and wanted $29. I protested mildly but ended up paying $29. While seated I looked up my Amex bill from February and saw the DL special services ticket number associated with paying the upgrade fee.

The agent then looked up the ticket number on her computer and confirmed I had paid. She said she would refund the $29 and would call in to have my records corrected.

Yesterday I went to the IND Sky Ckub with the same guest. The same story. I said I would look up the ticket number in a few minutes if we could be seated first. She said no entry without $29 for the guest. So my guest decided to leave the club.

I stayed to talk to the agent. She looked into my file and said my individual membership had expired in July, so the upgrade expired with it. The Diamond renewal that started then would need a new upgrade fee. I said I had never had a paid membership, only complimentary memberships, with Delta for over 20 years and had no idea why anything relating to Sky Club would expire in July.
Then the other Sky Club agent leaned in and said she had seen the same thing the day before with another customer and didn't understand how it was happening.

At that point the original agent said we could both enter the Club and that I could start a complaint with Delta. I thanked her but said my guest was probably done with Sky Clubs for a while.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:24 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
FWIW, I had an erroneous date on my Executive membership last year too--about 4 mos early. Took several calls to get it taken care of--I was initially given the run around that it would correct itself. It didn't. IIRC the department that had to do it was only open business hours East coast time.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold
I am having the same problem. I bought an exec membership last year which expired in August. I did not have a need to use it for the past 3 months, but went to the sky club today to purchase and they told me it was only good until next August. I asked them why should I pay a full years membership for less than 9 months. They agreed, but said they couldn't do a thing. Called the Diamond Desk, they couldn't help. Where should I call next?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Fred 3
I am having the same problem. I bought an exec membership last year which expired in August. I did not have a need to use it for the past 3 months, but went to the sky club today to purchase and they told me it was only good until next August. I asked them why should I pay a full years membership for less than 9 months. They agreed, but said they couldn't do a thing. Called the Diamond Desk, they couldn't help. Where should I call next?
Did you drop to the normal membership or none in August? Ie if you still had a normal SC membership that expires in August next year, then paying the fee only upgrades it to the point your underlying single membership runs out. Otherwise next August your base membership would stop, and you'd have two months of executive upgrade that couldn't use because you had no underlying membership for the upgrade.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you talking about buying a full exec membership, or an upgrade from your individual DM membership. I would expect an upgrade to be co-terminus with your existing individual DM membership period.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold
I have Diamond Status this year and next already ( expires Jan 2018). I want to upgrade to the exec membership for a year, which delta says a 12 month pass is $240. But they are telling me at the sky clubs I can only get it for 9 months and still have to pay the 240.

When is a 12 month membership a 9 month membership. Only on Delta, I guess. I have asked the sky clubs in Boston, Atlanta and Detroit this week. They all agree with me, but will not give me a number to call to sort this out.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have Diamond Status this year and next already ( expires Jan 2018). I want to upgrade to the exec membership for a year, which delta says a 12 month pass is $240. But they are telling me at the sky clubs I can only get it for 9 months and still have to pay the 240.

When is a 12 month membership a 9 month membership. Only on Delta, I guess. I have asked the sky clubs in Boston, Atlanta and Detroit this week. They all agree with me, but will not give me a number to call to sort this out.
You are asking for an upgrade of an existing membership, not a new executive membership. It might be reasonable to prorate the cost of that upgrade due to your existing individual membership having only 9 months left. But I don't see the rationale for expecting a full 12 months of executive membership when the underlying individual membership that you are upgrading only has 9 months left. It seems to me you are the one being unreasonable here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.