Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"New" mileage routing restrictions to OZ; Now impossible to go via Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"New" mileage routing restrictions to OZ; Now impossible to go via Asia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
You mentioned you called and they were able to book "the exact routing I found" - can you elaborate? I'm currently not even able to search DL for the routes I was previously seeing. Are you pricing seg by seg, making notes, and then calling in?

Was doing some speculating last night, the prices to get to SYD or BNE are out of control, even if I position myself to LA. I really hope something changes over the coming months. I can live without getting the lowest mileage redemption but right now they are utterly ridiculous, it might be cheaper to buy J!
Yep - it's "cheaper" to book US-Asia at 80K one-way and then Asia-AUS/NZ at 65K one-way for a total of 145K one-way than it is to book LAX-SYD nonstop. I booked YVR-CAN-BNE outbound at 95K about two days before the switch went into full effect. For the return, I ended up building in a stopover in Japan for 145K per person (AKL-HND on CZ/HND-SEA on DL/AS). For LAX-SYD, the BEST I saw was 175K per person, with 225K appearing sometimes, and most days being 375K one-way per person.

I got really lucky and happened to find 2 seats on VA in J recently on LAX-BNE later on and switched my outbound so now it's a shorter trip there but no options have opened up on the return (although I'm excited for the stopover in Japan anyway so I'm leaning towards not changing even if the space does open). I'll have to position to LAX but no big deal. Score a big win for the award redeposit waiver for PMs/DMs.
Old May 18, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta PM
Wow, nice work Atobttr, somehow I had missed your reply with those details. Well done!

I guess I'll have to work on the same type of routing, either via Asia or possibly even AMS. Looks like I can get partner AMS-BNE for 180k pp RT. Looks like it could be upwards of 2 hops depending on the day, possibly through CAN or TPE, maybe others.

Question for you experts, and I hope I'm not hijacking the thread. But how do I go about researching any visa requirements for a trip like this? Mostly wondering about the connection points and what may or may not be required. Probably as simple as visiting the potential airports webpages but would love to hear if anyone has a better suggestion. If I recall we will need some sort of a visa to enter AU.

Also, should I have any concerns if I do end up booking BOS-AMS-BOS and have a AMS-BNE-AMS snuck in the middle of the 1st trip?
Old May 18, 2016, 9:30 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
Question for you experts, and I hope I'm not hijacking the thread. But how do I go about researching any visa requirements for a trip like this?
Not an expert, but one place to start is

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...n/country.html

and look up the countries you will be transiting/visiting; the results page has some summaries and other drilldowns.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Zorak
Not an expert, but one place to start is

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...n/country.html

and look up the countries you will be transiting/visiting; the results page has some summaries and other drilldowns.
Awesome, looks like a great starting point. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.