Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rough Ride Transcon Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
2)when the pilot has momentarily lost control of the plane.
I hate when that happens
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Rough Ride Transcon Yesterday

BA used to descend at 9000fpm with their Tridents using reverse thrust on their middle engine.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:51 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by thrust
What "certain safeties" would have to be "overridden" to descend at 5000fpm in a 767, a "good bit outside of normal"?

Please be specific. Thanks.
I wouldn't worry too much. The poster already changed his story from 500' to 1000' as "pushing it." Then 1,000'-1,500' as normal. Credibility tainted.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fti
I wouldn't worry too much. The poster already changed his story from 500' to 1000' as "pushing it." Then 1,000'-1,500' as normal. Credibility tainted.
I corrected with type of aircraft. I had CRJ on the brain. (It's what I trained in and thus fell back on) However talk with a 767 pilot 5000fpm is not normal. Even the numbers provided by OP don't add up to 5000fpm. According to those it wasnt more then 2000fpm. 5000fpm is only going to be done in emergency descent and will require a 767 pilot holding the stick in a forward potion against pushback. It's designed to not allow such high rate descents unless specifically made to do it. The only other reason for it is if the pilot momentarily lose control of the aircraft due to strong weather such as one would find flying in an area with a convective sigmet. A 5000fpm descent would at least momentarily cause less then 1G. Maybe only .8 instead of 1, but it will be noticeable. Also standard aircraft pressurization systems don't keep up at that rate. Your ears would feel it. Finally IF planes did 5000fpm descents the whole approach to land procedure would be a lot quicker and gas could be saved. I don't know of any stabilized approach that has 5000fpm descents.

So yes I was under, but acting like 5000fpm is some how normal or close to normal isn't the case.

Finally,
The human body has a tendency to think something is happening when it's really not. It's why pilots have a whole license just for instrument condition flying.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
So good timing for an update to my OP.
Also, I'm not claiming anything that doesn't show up in the Flight Aware graph/stats. I also watched the on screen flight info and could see the drop in altitude.

I'm on another DL 767ER, again in D1. Short hop from MCO to ATL. Prior to departure I actually asked the FO if 5000' sounded fast and he said yes, but can be done in an emergency, such as depressurization. I briefly explained what happened last week and he said it is possible, but would be a rough ride.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
So good timing for an update to my OP.
Also, I'm not claiming anything that doesn't show up in the Flight Aware graph/stats. I also watched the on screen flight info and could see the drop in altitude.

I'm on another DL 767ER, again in D1. Short hop from MCO to ATL. Prior to departure I actually asked the FO if 5000' sounded fast and he said yes, but can be done in an emergency, such as depressurization. I briefly explained what happened last week and he said it is possible, but would be a rough ride.
Thanks for confirming what I've been saying. 5000fpm is just not realistic except in extreme situations and would have been noticeable.

Also, I'm not doubting flight aware may have reported it. Its not something reported to them. Rate of descent is calculated by their own computers. If it thinks two readings are two minutes apart when they're really 4 minutes because one got missed, it can screw up their calculations.

Finally, most rate of descent indicators only go to 5-6000fpm. In and of itself should say something.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by WWads
I might be crazy, but I rather enjoy turbulence from time to time. I know the plane isn't going to crash, so I'm able to get a bit of a thrill out of it.
I was watching Guardians of the Galaxy and just as the climactic battle scene started, the flight hit turbulence. Win!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.