Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Domestic First Class.... any good?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:58 am
Original Poster

For financial reasons, I don't normally fly first class as it always seems out of reach or just not worth it. I have flown American Airlines domestic first about 3 years ago and it was a pleasant experience. Beyond that, I fly Virgin main cabin select when I can but their lack of regional airline support needed to get to most of my rural destinations leaves me back with Delta, United or American.

I live in Los Angeles and am flying back home to visit family in the midwest soon. When looking up fares on Kayak I noticed the first class non-refundable was only around $200 more, round trip than the economy tickets. To me that's a no brainier as I still have some stuff in storage in the midwest I'd like to bring back home with me. So the free baggage allowance will be nice and I might actually break even on the price. Plus I'm a pretty big guy, around 300lbs. Last year on a Delta flight from Miami to LAX I was crammed in the middle seat in the back of the plane and my back was tied in knots by the time I got off the flight.

So I booked round trip on Detla first. I know domestic first doesn't hold a candle to international first, which I've yet to experience but I'm hoping someone here can give me the low down. I've been on Seat Guru and carefully selected my seats. I'll be flying on a mix of aircraft. First a 757-300 out of LAX, then switching to a MD-90. For the return trip home it's an A320 followed by a 767-300. I'm most excited about the 767 because Seat Guru has it listed as the most modern with lie flat seats which are more common on international routes but sometimes get used on shorter hops due to plane re-routing. The 757 will be nice too, always loved the thrust to weight ratio of those jets. I've never flown an MD-90 and don't care much for Airbus.

What am I looking at for interior? Pretty comfy seats? I've heard Delta Breakfast is pretty good which is what 2 of my flights feature. Anything else I need to be made aware of? Is there a special first class check in for Delta at LAX? Also, will domestic first flights let me into the airport club Delta runs? I see transcontinental first is allowed.... I think that disqualifies me since I'm only going like 80% across the country.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:18 am

Cant go to lounge without a membership unless going fully across. Domestic first in delta you are correct to go simply for the free baggage allowance and extra miles earned. Eat in the airport. The food isn't anything to write home about. You might get a nice fruit salad if you are lucky.

If your 300lbs then you'll be more comfortable.

Yes, you will have your own check in line and be able to go in special security lines to get through faster. Also board first, if you want to spend more time cramped on the plane.

Thats really all to say about it. Domestic first, aside from the transcons, is "better than economy"
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only the non-stop domestic Delta One routes, JFK-SFO/LAX, provide for lounge access when flying in First. Anything else domestic (such as flights between JFK-SFO/LAX involving a connection), does not provide for lounge access simply for being in First.

DL has a sub-fleet of 767-300's configured for the domestic market that have regular domestic FC seats that are not lie-flat. These are identified as the 76P/76Q on Seat Guru. Only the internationally configured 767-300ER's have lie-flat seats. You need to carefully verify which version of the 767-300 you are on before assuming it will have lie-flats. It sounds like you are looking at the ATL-LAX route. There is one daily international 767-300ER on this route (DL1455), which would have the lie-flats. However, there are also a couple of daily domestic 767-300's which do not.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 10, 2016 at 3:46 am
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by be001
Cant go to lounge without a membership unless going fully across. Domestic first in delta you are correct to go simply for the free baggage allowance and extra miles earned. Eat in the airport. The food isn't anything to write home about. You might get a nice fruit salad if you are lucky.

If your 300lbs then you'll be more comfortable.

Yes, you will have your own check in line and be able to go in special security lines to get through faster. Also board first, if you want to spend more time cramped on the plane.

Thats really all to say about it. Domestic first, aside from the transcons, is "better than economy"
"Can't go to lounge....." WRONG: With same day DL flights, AMEX PLAT/CENTURION charge card holders and DL Reserve credit card holders get (free) access. Others can purchase lounge access.

FC means SkyPriority, which is how the FC check in area and lines are labeled. [NOTE: NOT the DeltaOne check in lounge at LAX; that's basically for international business class.]

You don't state the routes or flight numbers, but chances are that the 767 is the domestic version, which is clearly the worst mainline aircraft DL uses.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Sorry, I should have included flight numbers.

LAX-MSP on DL 1346 (757-300)
MSP-GRR on DL 321 (MD-90)
GRR-MSP on DL 2258 (A320)
MSP-LAX on DL 2141 (767-300)

When I check the MSP-LAX flight (2141) it shows a seat map for a 767-300ER (76Z) V2

But I don't know how accurate that is.... it shows that there are 5 versions of that aircraft. When I picked my seats on the Delta site it only showed 5 rows in a standard 2x2x2 domestic first configuration v.s. seat guru showing 6 rows of lie flat seats in 1x2x1. I'd like to believe the Delta seat map is more accurate, but who knows. I might get lucky!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thefunkyone
Thanks for the responses. Sorry, I should have included flight numbers.

When I check the MSP-LAX flight (2141) it shows a seat map for a 767-300ER (76Z) V2

But I don't know how accurate that is.... it shows that there are 5 versions of that aircraft. When I picked my seats on the Delta site it only showed 5 rows in a standard 2x2x2 domestic first configuration v.s. seat guru showing 6 rows of lie flat seats in 1x2x1. I'd like to believe the Delta seat map is more accurate, but who knows. I might get lucky!
It's 100% going to be 2x2x2.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I recently flew DL 2141 and indeed it is the horrid old DOMESTIC 767, with very tight 2-2-2-2 seating in FC, 5 rows of it.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I recently flew DL 2141 and indeed it is the horrid old DOMESTIC 767, with very tight 2-2-2-2 seating in FC, 5 rows of it.
Five rows and three aisles?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Well that sucks.... but at least free booze and no economy seating. lol

There IS still free alcohol right? (said in my best Uncle Frank from Home Alone 2 voice)
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

What's MSP like? I'll only be there an hour or so if the flights are on time so not much time to explore. I'm used to flying into ORD so this will be my first time in MSP.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thefunkyone
Well that sucks.... but at least free booze and no economy seating. lol

There IS still free alcohol right? (said in my best Uncle Frank from Home Alone 2 voice)
Yes. MSP is very large so I suggest you find you find your connecting gate asap.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
Good find - boarding is probably from door L2, meaning you turn left into a more secluded first class cabin. I've read seats on the CD side have a bit more room. Plane will have power, IFE.

Very typical plane on my midwest flights. First class has power plugs. Very quiet up front. I like this plane in F or Y a lot.

A few of these are getting refurbished. If it does, it mean power plugs. If not, it is just ... old.

Uh oh - a lot of people complain about this one. The seats are very narrow for First class. But you do get power, IFE.

Lots of us Delta people connect in MSP all the time. I would not stress about it.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 11:44 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
Only the non-stop domestic Delta One routes, JFK-SFO/LAX, provide for lounge access when flying in First.
Not correct and actually impossible.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jspira
Not correct and actually impossible.
Why is this incorrect? Entirely domestic flights in first do not grant lounge access. The premium transcon routes are the only exceptions. Transcons to SAN/PDX/SEA, and midcons to DEN/PHX used to get lounge access, but not anymore. Same thing for full Y fares.

You can quibble over the first vs D1 label, but the point is understood either way.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
Why is this incorrect? Entirely domestic flights in first do not grant lounge access. The premium transcon routes are the only exceptions.

You can quibble over the first vs D1 label, but the point is understood either way.
There's nothing to quibble about. The premium transcon flights have business-class cabins, and no first-class cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.