Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Wifi purchase online or during flight - what's better?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Hi all, long time UA flier here and needed to book a SFO-MSY-IAD trip at the last minute on Delta.

Delta does a pretty good job up-selling gogo for their flights. Has anyone analyzed whether it is cheaper to buy on the plane or before the flight? During booking they wanted to charge $16 for the whole day (two flights with the connection) and that seemed like a good deal, but wasn't sure?

Also, on the SFO-MSY, got a middle seat? any suggestions on how to get an aisle for a non-status flier

thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:38 pm

Delta doesn't fly non-stop to New Orleans from San Francisco... so that's at least two flights right there.

In my experience, it's *always* better to buy your GoGo pass on the ground instead of in the air.

I always buy my passes directly from gogoair.com, because 1) sometimes they run promotions for even cheaper all day passes (I haven't seen these promotions since GoGo dramatically redid the website though, and they also don't make it easy -- or even possible? -- to buy multiple passes in one transaction) and 2) it's not clear to me that a Gogo day pass I buy in conjunction with a Delta.com ticket purchase is good for flights other than ones on that particular day.

Oh, and then in the air, your experience is going to be dramatically different depending on how many people are actually using the service on any given flight (i.e. the more people using it, the slower and clunkier the service seems to become).
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:51 pm

Oh, and getting a better seat? Check both at the ticket counter and at the gate, as seats can become available as medallion members shuffle around to First or "Comfort Plus" (Delta's pale imitation of UA's E+) and other people cxl off the flight.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:51 am

Not to inflate my post count but why not -- I just realized you probably mis-typed your hub connection Minneapolis (MSP) as New Orleans (MSY).
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
Not to inflate my post count but why not -- I just realized you probably mis-typed your hub connection Minneapolis (MSP) as New Orleans (MSY).
Good point. This makes a lot more sense.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
That is what I was thinking.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA P1K
Gogo is all revenue based by demand, I flew MSP-ATL the other day and it was 17.95 for a flight, but I have flown others of similar or longer stage lengths for less than that. If it was $16 for the whole day, that's likely a good deal.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
Originally Posted by dc9flyernwa
Gogo is all revenue based by demand, I flew MSP-ATL the other day and it was 17.95 for a flight, but I have flown others of similar or longer stage lengths for less than that. If it was $16 for the whole day, that's likely a good deal.
Also, if you plan on using WiFi the entire day, the day pass will be worth it. If not, consider how long the flight is and how long you would be using it. I recently flew JFK-LAX and used two 1-hour passes at $5 each ($10 total) and it was just right. Just a tip if the cost is ever a concern.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by eagle007
Hi all, long time UA flier here and needed to book a SFO-MSY-IAD trip at the last minute on Delta.

Delta does a pretty good job up-selling gogo for their flights. Has anyone analyzed whether it is cheaper to buy on the plane or before the flight? During booking they wanted to charge $16 for the whole day (two flights with the connection) and that seemed like a good deal, but wasn't sure?

Also, on the SFO-MSY, got a middle seat? any suggestions on how to get an aisle for a non-status flier

thanks!
You can get a 24hr mobile pass in advance for just $8 and even tether it to your laptop via USB or Bluetooth and have both devices online for that fee :-)

https://www.gogoair.com/smartphone-day-pass

and for tether

http://pdanet.co/
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
IME, always cheaper to buy in advance directly from gogoair.com. I keep a couple passes of each variety stocked up in my account to just use as needed.

And I also just noticed they're doing a 2-for-1 on the int'l passes through end of March. Snagged a couple to use on our trip this August.

Also, I may or may not have heard that the inflight wifi systems check the User Agent settings of your browser to determine what type of device you're using, and that such settings aren't that difficult to change on a laptop. Maybe.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by gooselee
And I also just noticed they're doing a 2-for-1 on the int'l passes through end of March. Snagged a couple to use on our trip this August.
That must explain why they were so generous with the free passes they gave me last week.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Great suggestions.

And yes, sorry, I meant to type MSP
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Renes Points
You can get a 24hr mobile pass in advance for just $8 and even tether it to your laptop via USB or Bluetooth and have both devices online for that fee :-)

https://www.gogoair.com/smartphone-day-pass

and for tether

http://pdanet.co/
Might just have to dust off my old Android phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.