Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Need some quick advice - row 1 bag stowing problems?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver

Hi,

I've got a short (45 mins) connection at DTW next week and have 1A reserved for my onward flight to LGA.

Am I likely to have problems stowing a single carry on bag if I'm a but late boarding?

Just wondering if I should move back to row 3 while a seat is still available, as don't really want the bag checked.

Thanks

Tony
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Hi,

I've got a short (45 mins) connection at DTW next week and have 1A reserved for my onward flight to LGA.

Am I likely to have problems stowing a single carry on bag if I'm a but late boarding?

Just wondering if I should move back to row 3 while a seat is still available, as don't really want the bag checked.

Thanks

Tony
Yes if it's important to you not to check I'd make sure you're not in row 1. Even if the overheads are full, you can place it underneath the seat in front of you. You of course can't do that in row 1. Sadly at DTW you can be a minute or less away from connecting gate, or you can be long enough away to play a quarter of football.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Yes, I would move back. I regularly take the last flight in to my home airport (different airline and a Q400 but it doesn't matter for this purpose). The last train that works for me on public transit leaves 20 minutes after we hit the gate and I need to clear customs and immigration. I have Nexus and it is easily doable but those 5 minutes or so waiting for a gate checked bag would make all the difference. So I give up my preferred infinite legroom 1B or 2D seat for 2B or row 3 aisle on those flights just to have that underseat storage. Change to row 3 and save yourself the worry.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
I prefer Row 1 myself, but in your situation I agree the best course is to grab the seat in Row 3 so you're not sweating the OHB situation.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
45 minute connect in DTW is easy. The salmon Swi, sounds much worse than the actual delay of 3-5 minutes it actually entails. If you get your bag in row 1-5, it can be a 1-2 minute delay.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes if it's important to you not to check I'd make sure you're not in row 1. Even if the overheads are full, you can place it underneath the seat in front of you. You of course can't do that in row 1. Sadly at DTW you can be a minute or less away from connecting gate, or you can be long enough away to play a quarter of football.
LGA is all mainline which means concourse A. As long as OP is arriving in concourse A, worst case connect time is maybe 7-8 minutes (using tram). They've walled off the last 16 gates in Concourse C at DTW, so even if OP is connecting from B/C, worst case shouldn't be more than about 12 minutes if you are reasonably mobile.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
LGA is all mainline which means concourse A. As long as OP is arriving in concourse A, worst case connect time is maybe 7-8 minutes (using tram). They've walled off the last 16 gates in Concourse C at DTW, so even if OP is connecting from B/C, worst case shouldn't be more than about 12 minutes if you are reasonably mobile.
OT, but why are those gates walled off? And are they the gates that are about half a floor down from the other gates, so that they seem like the old commuter gates? I went through the B/C concourse at DTW twice in the last week and I didn't notice an area being walled off.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL DM
I've had great success asking the lead FA to store my bag in the closet. No guarantee that they will agree but it never hurts to ask.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
... or you can be long enough away to play a quarter of football.
So like an hour...
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SATXFlyer
I've had great success asking the lead FA to store my bag in the closet. No guarantee that they will agree but it never hurts to ask.
Most FAs will try this for a FC bag if all of the FC bins are full, but sitting in row 1 with a bag back over row 3 or further back means swimming upstream upon landing. If you're not good at fighting the current, it can mean a delay if you're polite and wait for a gap.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:06 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
If you ask nicely, and if your carry-on is not too big, the FA will stow your carry-on in the front closet.

Otherwise, make sure you are at the front of the "PREM" line to board.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all

Have bumped down to row 3!

Tony
PS inbound from Austin, again on mainline - is that pier A, too?

Last edited by Swiss Tony; Mar 10, 2016 at 6:01 am
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OT, but why are those gates walled off? And are they the gates that are about half a floor down from the other gates, so that they seem like the old commuter gates? I went through the B/C concourse at DTW twice in the last week and I didn't notice an area being walled off.
With far fewer 50 seaters flying around these days, I suspect they just didn't need all the gate capacity. They walled-off 6 gates at the same level and the 10 lower level gates for a total loss of 16 gates. Here's the current map that stops at Gate C27 --

http://www.metroairport.com/Portals/...l_Gate_Map.pdf

Here's an old map that goes up to Gate C43 --

http://www.metroairport.com/Portals/...l_Gate_Map.pdf
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Thanks all

Have bumped down to row 3!

Tony
PS inbound from Austin, again on mainline - is that pier A, too?
Yes, mainline would all arrive at concourse A. The larger RJ's (RJ900/E175's) on this route also frequently arrive at concourse A as well.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just thought you might all want to hear how it panned out!

So we landed at gate A21 about 20 minutes early, to find that the connecting flight was out of A23, and running with a 20 minute delay.

I got to enjoy a glass of Michigan beer in the bar opposite A23, but the tactical move from 1A to 3D wasn't needed and it meant I missed out on some blinding views of Manhattan on the approach into LGA!

Anyway, thanks all for the input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.