Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta pilots adding a few turns to offer view on Grand Canyon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold

Not sure if this has already been mentioned.
Very nice touch.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...58293827402130

""As we were flying over the desert, the pilot came on the intercom and said that since it was such a clear day, he'd gotten approval to... give us a tour of the Grand Canyon," passenger Andrea Whittle told HuffPost. "He mentioned that it was a really special sight and that he would turn the plane a few times so we could get a good view from both sides."
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by vgb2001
Not sure if this has already been mentioned.
Very nice touch.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...58293827402130

""As we were flying over the desert, the pilot came on the intercom and said that since it was such a clear day, he'd gotten approval to... give us a tour of the Grand Canyon," passenger Andrea Whittle told HuffPost. "He mentioned that it was a really special sight and that he would turn the plane a few times so we could get a good view from both sides."
Nice job Delta.

(sadly, there will be a few that might complain about sleep being interrupted, or delay in the arrival of DYKWIA...)
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL Gold
That is pretty cool. During my first transcon (PHL-LAX in 1966), the pilot didn't go out of his way, but pointed out Grand Canyon and Canyon de Chelly as we were crossing over Arizona. I used to enjoy when pilots would point out interesting sights enroute or things to look out for on climbout or approach. Another part of the romance of travel that's been lost.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Nice job Delta.
^ Truly. I've noticed some kudos re Delta's handling of special opportunities (including IRROPS pizza & updates) lately. Hope this is an early sign of positive snowballing.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG PLT100, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Detroiter
That is pretty cool. During my first transcon (PHL-LAX in 1966), the pilot didn't go out of his way, but pointed out Grand Canyon and Canyon de Chelly as we were crossing over Arizona. I used to enjoy when pilots would point out interesting sights enroute or things to look out for on climbout or approach. Another part of the romance of travel that's been lost.
A few weeks back, I was on MSP-BOS with the absolute best DL pilot. I believe he said his name was Captain Gregarian (or something like that). He made the funniest announcements I've ever heard, including pointing out a couple of interesting landmarks and views. Unfortunately I haven't received either a PM or DM package yet, so I didn't have any JWDs to give him, but I left a rave review on the post flight survey. Do any of you know the pilot I'm talking about? He has this booming baritone voice and a somewhat unusual vocabulary (he used the phrase "higgledy-piggledy" in an official announcement). He could have been a fantastic sports broadcaster in another life.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
I would be PISSED. That flight is 6 hours without the joyride.

You want a tour of the canyon? Go to Vegas and hop in a helicopter.

Otherwise, take me from A to B, please.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:27 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
(sadly, there will be a few that might complain about sleep being interrupted, or delay in the arrival of DYKWIA...)
Yes, quite sadly...

Originally Posted by nichojo
I would be PISSED. That flight is 6 hours without the joyride.

You want a tour of the canyon? Go to Vegas and hop in a helicopter.

Otherwise, take me from A to B, please.
So what did it add, maybe 5 minutes??
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by fti
Yes, quite sadly...

So what did it add, maybe 5 minutes??
I thought he was circling or something. Looks like that wasn't the case:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...200Z/KJFK/KLAX

Anyways, < 30% of the people on the flight have window seats and for those who didn't it was mostly a tease.

Great in theory, and cool execution, but far from "amazing."
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Maybe 20 years ago I was flying NW and the pilot did a similar diversion. He did explain that we had strong tailwinds and that we would still be arriving early.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Gosh, I remember this happening in the mid-80's on a DL Royal Service (remember those, old timers?) flight from ATL to (I think) LAX.

All the pilot did was to do a couple of quick banks in both directions so the window seats would be pointed more towards the ground as to get a better view. No circling or delaying the flight...and no one was "PISSED" by any means!

With the tight dispatch rules, I didn't think they allowed this stuff anymore.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
The frontline people (well, most of them) are the only redeeming quality left at Delta after the merger. A big ^ to this crew. A met a flight attendant on MCO-LAX recently who started her career with National who then merged with Pan Am and then merged with Delta. All of those years flying and she was still happy and gave great customer service. A recent YouTube video surfaced of an AA flight where a new mother had the pilot announce her pregnancy as a surprise to her husband. The lead flight attendant was pissed about the minute delay it caused. UA and AA have some very bitter people working for them.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
The frontline people (well, most of them) are the only redeeming quality left at Delta after the merger. A big ^ to this crew. A met a flight attendant on MCO-LAX recently who started her career with National who then merged with Pan Am and then merged with Delta. All of those years flying and she was still happy and gave great customer service. A recent YouTube video surfaced of an AA flight where a new mother had the pilot announce her pregnancy as a surprise to her husband. The lead flight attendant was pissed about the minute delay it caused. UA and AA have some very bitter people working for them.
Did she have a NY accent, and was she very specific about the first class lav being off-limits to Y pax?

The FA on my recent JFK-SJU flight had the same career path. She talked about her days working the National, then Pan Am Shuttle. I'm sure she has more lifetime miles than George Clooney.

Definitely a product of a bygone era. One of the best FAs I've ever had.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Mar 3, 2016 at 5:46 pm
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I think those have more to do with how treated during and after merger. UA still operated separate UA and CO crews that can only fly UA and CO aircraft. I believe they've finally reached an agreement many years later, but that should show the level of problems compared with the DL/NW and US/AW mergers.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
I had a similar experience when Mount Saint Helen's was erupting- pilot did a figure 8 so everyone could get a good look. And even those in the middle and aisle seats could see out the windows...
Old Mar 3, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
My guess is he was told he needed to slow down because of air traffic at LAX. So the customers had a nice tour on the way since he chose to do the pattern over the Canyon.

Last edited by doglover; Mar 4, 2016 at 7:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.