Search

Delta applies for Cuba service

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Delta applies for Cuba service

Delta will applied to Cuba service. Hopefully they will be approved soon or later.

JFK-HAV 757
ATL-HAV 757
MIA-HAV 738
MCO-HAV 738

Let the speculation begin!
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:51 pm

Delta has applied for the Cuban routes priority-wise.

JFK-HAV
ATL-HAV
MIA-HAV #1
MIA-HAV #2
MCO-HAV

Pretty reasonable application for 5 of the 20 available HAV frequencies.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Interesting that MCO>HAV is on the list. On this thread, few people thought there would be enough demand at MCO. Apparently somebody thinks there might be a market though. Perhaps Cuban's going to Walt Disney World?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Pardon my ignorance since i haven't been keeping up with US-Cuba relations but will US citizens with no relationship to Cuba be permitted to book these flights?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Pardon my ignorance since i haven't been keeping up with US-Cuba relations but will US citizens with no relationship to Cuba be permitted to book these flights?
Anyone can book them, there's still legal restrictions on what US citizens can do their. ie no purely vacation visits However you self-certify the reason/purpose of the trip.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Folks, this is the DL forum and not OMNI. Please refrain from making off topic political posts as they will be deleted and FT's TOS will be strictly enforced.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Here is the official press release from DL.

http://news.delta.com/delta-applies-...four-us-cities
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jalves
Interesting that MCO>HAV is on the list. On this thread, few people thought there would be enough demand at MCO. Apparently somebody thinks there might be a market though. Perhaps Cuban's going to Walt Disney World?
Of the 5,036+ reported charter flights to Cuba last year, 65 of them originated at MCO, and it's doubtful that Cubans will be traveling from Cuba to the mouse - more likely it's Cuban-Americans living in the Orlando area visiting family in Cuba.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Anyone can book them, there's still legal restrictions on what US citizens can do their. ie no purely vacation visits However you self-certify the reason/purpose of the trip.
AA's application emphasizes that until the travel restrictions are lifted, the permitted passengers for these scheduled flights will be substantially identical to the current passengers, and they are overwhelmingly family living here visiting family members in Cuba.

Once leisure tourism is permissible, AA admits that travel patterns will probably change, but something like 86% of 2015 charter flights originated at MIA. JFK had 70, as did FLL.

Atlanta had one charter flight to Cuba in 2015. Just one out of 5,000+ tells me that there isn't much demand in ATL.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:36 am

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Of the 5,036+ reported charter flights to Cuba last year, 65 of them originated at MCO, and it's doubtful that Cubans will be traveling from Cuba to the mouse - more likely it's Cuban-Americans living in the Orlando area visiting family in Cuba.

AA's application emphasizes that until the travel restrictions are lifted, the permitted passengers for these scheduled flights will be substantially identical to the current passengers, and they are overwhelmingly family living here visiting family members in Cuba.
Once leisure tourism is permissible, AA admits that travel patterns will probably change, but something like 86% of 2015 charter flights originated at MIA. JFK had 70, as did FLL.
Atlanta had one charter flight to Cuba in 2015. Just one out of 5,000+ tells me that there isn't much demand in ATL.

Atlanta had one charter flight to Cuba in 2015. Just one out of 5,000+ tells me that there isn't much demand in ATL

ATL is not an O&D but the feed point for the whole Delta System !
It is not as obvious at the AA hub at MIA with O&D potential.
Still yet DL put one MIA-HAV in the mix competitively with AA should be
interesting to see how it is all allocated !
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Of course. I neglected the tongue in cheek emoticon in my original post.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by DLERT
[I]
Still yet DL put one MIA-HAV in the mix competitively with AA should be
interesting to see how it is all allocated !
One of the things I've come to admire about DL is that they're certainly willing to do point to point service more so than UA and AA. Smart move; I really doubt DoT would allocate all of the slots ex-MIA to AA if it can be helped.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
My guess is that DL doesn't end up getting the slots necessary to do MCO-HAV, and that is more optimistic than realistic. Same for a second MIA-HAV flight. My guess is they end up with 1x each MIA/JFK/ATL-HAV.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
It's like every airline wrote up a wish list and submitted it. AA asked for 10x MIA - HAV, which seems like a lot of frequencies. Anyway, I wonder if everyone will get a portion, or with the DOT run some numbers and figure out which flights make the most sense to serve the potential passengers?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:58 pm

I think DL also asked for MCO/HAV just to get it on the record. I am willing to bet that within 1 year of scheduled service starting, across all the allocated flights for US carriers, half of the flights will have been requested to be moved to a different US origin.

Much like DL tried DTW/HND, then SEA/HND, then gave it up to AA. DL wants to be in a position that it's on record as asking for these specific city pairs so when some of these routes start to fail (Maybe DL's maybe someone else's) They're in a position to say "Hey, we asked for this route a long time ago, give us a shot at it instead of giving UA a 3rd city to try"

Within 2 years I'd imagine Cuba traffic looking a lot like SJU traffic. And airline execs rave about how much $ they're making on XXX-SJU flights.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:05 pm
Suspended

No LAX-HAV or SLC-HAV flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.