Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying Blue Silver on Delta: Upgrade and Check in questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Hi. This is my first post ever on here. Recently took some Delta flights as a Flying Blue Silver / ST elite. I've noticed that at several airports, the sky priority signs at check in no longer 'also welcome' silver medallions or skyteam elites. Is priority check in no longer a silver benefit on Delta?
At JFK (T4) there is a separate silver medallion check-in location aside from the sky priority section and the economy desks. I have never seen that silver medallion desk staffed before though.

Also, I have been upgraded on 3 of my last 4 delta flights, while as a silver (and not even on Delta's own program) I should basically be at the bottom of the upgrade list. My previous experiences with upgrades was being last or second-last on the list, but the flight had more F seats available than medallions in economy. These last few times though, I have been higher up the list than a substantial number of people, which strikes me as very strange. I have been in paid Comfort+ seats though and I'm wondering if Delta is giving higher upgrade priority to passengers in Comfort+ ??
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
DL or FB silver is not supposed to get SkyPriority in general. As you noted, at some airports there are separate silver desks, though I don't know about their staffing. As for your upgrades, that is surprising, consider how hard upgrades have been for DMs & PMs lately. What routes have you gotten upgraded on?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The passengers lower on the upgrade list could be SPG elites in the crossover program. They can get upgrades on the day of departure.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Delta's website claims priority check in is a benefit for silver medallions. the rest of skypriority is not, you are right. But the boards at check in used to list all the people eligible for sky priority (first/business, STE+) and then say something like 'also welcome' silver medallions / STE. AF/KLM does this too, and both the delta website and skyteam website claim it's a benefit. JFK is the only airport i've seen with silver desks and i've never ever seen them in use. Especially because it's listed on their website, and used to be frequently observed, it would be nice if there was some communication about a change.

Anyway, with the upgrades, they've all been on flights out of or to JFK. All eastern US/Canada. Montreal, Boston, DCA. It's not like i've been first on the list or anything, but it is very surprising to see 4 or 5 people on the upgrade list with apparently worse priority than a KLM silver. Maybe it's just good luck, no complaints here.

EDIT: re MSPeconomist - SPG elites would explain it, didn't know about that
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I haven't checked recently, but MSP had a special check in line for FOs and SkyTeam Elite. It was over in the coach/kettle check in area, far from SkyPriority.

At small outstations, I've seen the signage for the SkyPriority check in line say FO/SkyTeam Elite too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.