Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Navigating to DL Arrivals lounge LHR T4

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2016, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta silver

So, our one and only 22 year old son, assures us he is graduating this May. In celebration of this remarkable, 4 year event, we are taking him on a graduation trip. First time for us to visit Dad's family roots and cousins in Denmark, via London.

I am not familiar with LHR, son arriving DL 28, 8:45am from ATL, Terminal 4. He will have few hours to kill before meeting us landside at Terminal 3, AA from LAX arriving 12:25pm.

Figured rather than waiting landside, he might enjoy hanging at Sky Club for a few. DL told me since he is flying international biz, he will have access to their T4 arrivals lounge. Will he have any problems navigating to it after being directed through immigration upon arrival? ( i.e., is there a return to gate areas rather than luggage/customs/street side exit.)
He will have only carry on, no checked luggage.
Appreciate your help.

PS: I read on FT tips for him to meet us landside at T3; take free train(Heathrow Express) from T4 station, platform 1 to T3 and have him wait at Café Nero. Any corrections or suggestions to this encouraged.

Thanks from this mother of an almost (fingers crossed) college graduate
Old Feb 20, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
The "arrivals lounge" is Yotel (a day hotel inside the airport). Follow signs to Yotel - great for a quick shower and even a nap after a long flight.

There is no SkyClub at LHR, there IS a SkyTeam Lounge in the departures area in T4, which cannot be reached for arrivals at LHR.

This thread will answer many many questions about LHR and Delta:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...london-dl.html
Old Feb 20, 2016, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The DL LHR Arrivals lounge is at T3. Those arriving at T4 can use the Yotel for 2 hours or hike it over to T4 and use the DL arrivals lounge. (Or both if time allows) I'd personally checkin at the Yotel, get a quick shower/nap and then head over to T3 DL arrival lounge for rest of wait (they also have a cooked to order menu).

Note - DL arrives in different terminals. T3 for BOS/JFK arrivals and T4 for all others. DL'S ultimate plan is to move all flights to T3 (thus why the DL arrivals lounge is there) but will continue to operate from T4 till BAA allows them to move. Most agents don't understand this and thus will tell you there's a DL Arrivals lounge at T4, when it's only the Yotel. The DL arrivals lounge being at T3.

Last edited by flyerCO; Feb 20, 2016 at 4:22 pm
Old Feb 21, 2016, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the good info all.
I have reviewed FAQ link very informative. I undestand the express train from T4 to T3, where he can access the DL arrival lounge, outside terminal. But I wasn't clear where
He will exit The express at T3, will it be near the arrivals hall, so he can then exit to the street and walk to the DL arrivals lounge?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by msjorg
Thank you for the good info all.
I have reviewed FAQ link very informative. I undestand the express train from T4 to T3, where he can access the DL arrival lounge, outside terminal. But I wasn't clear where
He will exit The express at T3, will it be near the arrivals hall, so he can then exit to the street and walk to the DL arrivals lounge?
No it will be by the departures hall of the terminal at T3 that he exits. Hell need to turn around and basically walk backwards from how he faces as he exits the train station.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
No it will be by the departures hall of the terminal at T3 that he exits. Hell need to turn around and basically walk backwards from how he faces as he exits the train station.
Ok, good to know.
We arrive AA at T3, will the DL arrivals lounge be near by so we can pick him up?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I did this recently and it's pretty easy, although you need to realize that the DL arrivals lounge is really outside of the terminal itself. It's on the end (that DL uses) of the terminal.

I was advised to skip the Yotel and go directly to the other terminal to take a shower there, the argument being that the arrivals lounge showers are bigger/nicer than you get in the Yotel, although IMO the tradeoff is that you're then dressing in the somewhat damp shower room. With time to kill, it might be nice to check out both options. Definitely do the Yotel is a nap is wanted.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by msjorg
Ok, good to know.
We arrive AA at T3, will the DL arrivals lounge be near by so we can pick him up?
All the airlines exit through customs into the same area. You'll have to exit from the terminal to find the lounge, but it's nearby. There are signs directing you.

IIRC the Yotel does not provide food, whereas the DL Arrivals lounge has a breakfast buffet and a la carte menu. That may influence your son's choice.

The arrivals lounge closes at 2pm so you should arrange a backup place to meet in case your flight arrives late.

Also, if you all have smart phones, set up your plans so that you can text each other. It will be useful to have that anyway while you're traveling.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Feb 21, 2016 at 6:11 pm
Old Feb 21, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
If you have privileges at the Yotel, you should go there. If your flight parks at T4, it is very easy to get to the Yotel. At the exit from the customs channels into landside, you turn left and are confronted by an escalator. Go up the escalator. Turn left for the Yotel; on the right there is a JD Wetherspoon pub called "The Windsor Castle".

Even if you land at T3, you could still access the Yotel by taking the "Heathrow Connect" train" from the Heathrow Central railway station (where you would get the Heathrow Express train for Paddington Station) and heading to T4--there is no fare required to go between T3 and T4. The escalator to the Yotel is at the top of the corridor which extends from the train platform to near the customs exit.

Your "lodging" at the Yotel consists of a shower suite and a bed/television in one compact 7' x 7' x 7' cube. I thought it was perfect for getting ready for a big day in the UK.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by ND76
If you have privileges at the Yotel, you should go there. If your flight parks at T4, it is very easy to get to the Yotel. At the exit from the customs channels into landside, you turn left and are confronted by an escalator. Go up the escalator. Turn left for the Yotel; on the right there is a JD Wetherspoon pub called "The Windsor Castle".

Even if you land at T3, you could still access the Yotel by taking the "Heathrow Connect" train" from the Heathrow Central railway station (where you would get the Heathrow Express train for Paddington Station) and heading to T4--there is no fare required to go between T3 and T4. The escalator to the Yotel is at the top of the corridor which extends from the train platform to near the customs exit.

Your "lodging" at the Yotel consists of a shower suite and a bed/television in one compact 7' x 7' x 7' cube. I thought it was perfect for getting ready for a big day in the UK.
If you land at T3 it doesn't make sense to go all the way over to T4 for the Yotel when there is a good arrivals lounge at T3. The only reason to do that would be if you were totally desperate for an hour of sleep on a bed.

Anyway, the OP is asking about the best arrangement for their adult son arriving in T4 several hours before they arrive in T3. Some have suggested that he go first to the Yotel and then to the T4 DL arrivals lounge.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
If you land at T3 it doesn't make sense to go all the way over to T4 for the Yotel when there is a good arrivals lounge at T3. The only reason to do that would be if you were totally desperate for an hour of sleep on a bed.

Anyway, the OP is asking about the best arrangement for their adult son arriving in T4 several hours before they arrive in T3. Some have suggested that he go first to the Yotel and then to the T4 DL arrivals lounge.
T3.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by rwoman
T3.
Good catch! Corrected that.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Much as gracias amigos
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

And amigas!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.