upgrades out of order - confirmed

Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR, HH, DL, ALK
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Howeveryou comment they had to contact ticketing. This sounds like while you had a reservation, you had no ticket issued yet. Thus since your friend had his ticket issued, he was next in line to upgrade. You don't enter the queue till you're ticketed. Thus it wasn't out of order, it was done exactly how it's supposed to happen. The question in this case is why did it take so long to ticket. Did you buy direct from DL or was it done through a travel agency? If the latter, those frequently aren't ticketed by the agent/agency till later in the day. If DL normally those are done fairly quickly. However if there's an issue then it can be delayed till its worked by someone in ticketing manually.
My ticket was issued long before the window back when it was purchased over a month ago. Delta admitted their system screwed up.

Oh any for all the curious ones out there, yes, the "upgrade" box was checked.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
Originally Posted by Seattlite
My ticket was issued long before the window back when it was purchased over a month ago. Delta admitted their system screwed up.

So you both had the exact same fare CLASS? i.e. Fare Class E or..?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I can't get past how folks like to pick apart everything on this board. It's a casual discussion. Nothing I said supports Delta's glitch.

There are two people who both booked T fare class tickets on the same day for exactly the same trip (consider everything equal at booking). One of them, a platinum member, got upgraded yesterday at T-120. The other, a diamond member, did not and had to call Delta and spend 20 minutes on the phone to get them this morning to push through the upgrade that Delta's automated system failed to process appropriately.

There was an automated upgrade glitch. It would be reassuring to know this does not happen all that often, but you have to wonder.
Now (but not at first) we know they were both T, so it wasn't a "full Y" issue.

Were both actually ticketed? It appears so, but you didn't specify.

When something strange happens, people want to try to figure out the reason, and ask questions in order to eliminate possibilities. Sometimes, that requires detail that someone might think was implied already.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Did they say what the actual screw-up was? Just curious, cause it sounds more like there was an error in your ticket (admitted by Delta) and that thus you were never in the queue to upgrade because of that ticketing error. However if that's the case then it's more an issue of them not resolving the ticketing error before upgrade window, then of upgrade being processed out of order.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
It is truly incredible to me how difficult it is for folks in this thread to accept that DL might have made a mistake.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
It is truly incredible to me how difficult it is for folks in this thread to accept that DL might have made a mistake.
^^

Perhaps some are seeking to deny the reality that their UGs are, too, at risk.

Sort of like whistling as you walk past the cemetery.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
I don't have a dog in this fight so I say this as just a casual observer but I don't see where people aren't accepting the DL might have made a mistake.

Given the complexities and nuances of upgrades, I see people trying to figure out exactly where the error occurred. Even if they take the thread title as 100% factual, there's still the question of why.

If everyone just said "shame on DL" and agreed with the OP, no one would really learn anything and there wouldn't be much of a discussion.

I clicked on the thread interested to see how this was confirmed and why. I haven't learned anything from what the OP posted. I've learned more from the questions that were subsequently asked.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I've not stated DL didn't make an error. However it sounds like the error they made was in ticketing. Thus while you should've been upgraded first, the ticketing error and not an upgrade error is what prevented your upgrade.

The bar was set high when stated "confirmed." However nothing has confirmed anything other then a ticketing error.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, MM
I experienced an upgrade problem last week. Was checking a bag so checked in at kiosk instead of online. Normally, the kiosk will say something like, "on upgrade list." This time it said, "Unable to process upgrade." I checked with the ticket agent, and she said, "No problem. You're on the upgrade list." The same thing happened to me once last year when I checked in at the kiosk, and the ticket agent checked and said, "No problem. You're on the upgrade list." I called the PM line and was told, "No problem. You're on the upgrade list." I inquired at the gate and the gate agent said, "If you're a PM you should have been upgraded. We've already done all the GM's." Luckily there was a seat left, and she upgraded me. Couldn't tell me why my upgrade didn't process. This time, the ticket agent again checked and told me, "No problem. You're on the upgrade list." Unfortunately, by the time I got to the gate all first class seats were gone. I don't know what the glitch is.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
The bar was set high when stated "confirmed." However nothing has confirmed anything other then a ticketing error.
Not to be difficult but you're speculating that there was a ticketing error, the thing that has been confirmed is that the upgrade didn't happen properly.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Fare class was not included in the OP, neither was it stated that friend was upgraded before OP (but implied). Their is nothing snarky or indicating denial when members seek more information to make an informed decision on whether or not there was an error or why the error occurred. I appreciate when other members ask questions as it helps others learn more about traveling, not to have casual conversation.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mother-
Not to be difficult but you're speculating that there was a ticketing error, the thing that has been confirmed is that the upgrade didn't happen properly.
No. Nothing has been confirmed as to why it happened. All that has been said is that it happened and per OP involved getting ticketing involved. According to the poster DL has admitted there was error. However it's not clear what that error was. If this was a system issue with upgrades, ticketing wouldn't need to be involved. Instead it seems the upgrade system worked as I ts supposed to, however a ticket error meant that it wasn't eligible to be processed by the system. Once ticket was fixed, upgrade cleared or was forced.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
No. Nothing has been confirmed as to why it happened. All that has been said is that it happened and per OP involved getting ticketing involved. According to the poster DL has admitted there was error. However it's not clear what that error was. If this was a system issue with upgrades, ticketing wouldn't need to be involved. Instead it seems the upgrade system worked as I ts supposed to, however a ticket error meant that it wasn't eligible to be processed by the system. Once ticket was fixed, upgrade cleared or was forced.
So, again, all that has been confirmed is that the upgrade didn't happen properly.

On the occasions where upgrades did not process properly for me and I was able to get it rectified, they've always had to get the ticket reissued into the other fair class. I don't see how that 'confirms' a 'ticket error'.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:18 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by justhere
I don't have a dog in this fight so I say this as just a casual observer but I don't see where people aren't accepting the DL might have made a mistake.
NOT just in THIS thread.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by davetravels
NOT just in THIS thread.
Pretty much every thread on this board.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.