Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Medallion Qualification Dollars or MQDs: The Definitive Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, AA, UA, WN, E+ Gold

When MQD hits, this mostly has to do with higher fares and spend amounts on DL travel (not partners), correct? In other words, DL tickets purchased thru amex travel, orbitz, etc, will not affect MQD so long as its DL travel on DL equipemnt?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta: Gold, Marriott: Silver
From their site

MQDs are the total of the SkyMiles members spend on Delta-marketed flights (flight numbers that include the DL airline code), inclusive of the base fare and applicable surcharges, but exclusive of government- imposed taxes and fees.
Flight spend for travel on other airlines ticketed through a Delta channel (featuring a ticket number beginning with 006) will also be included in MQDs.
Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator, group/tour and opaque fare products will not count toward MQDs.
So basically all published fares regardless of where they are coming from that are on DL stock will earn MQD. So basically if you are earning full MQM, you are earning MQD.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:22 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
From the DL website FAQ...

"MQDs are the total of the SkyMiles members spend on Delta-marketed flights (flight numbers that include the DL airline code), inclusive of the base fare and applicable surcharges, but exclusive of government- imposed taxes and fees.

Flight spend for travel on other airlines ticketed through a Delta channel (featuring a ticket number beginning with 006) will also be included in MQDs.

Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator, group/tour and opaque fare products will not count toward MQDs."

For everyone else, there is AmEx.

Full FAQ is here...

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ars-faqs.html#
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:06 am

MQD's question

My company requires us to book through a travel agency for plane tickets. It's paid for by my company, not me. Will this qualify for MQD's???
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As long as your frequent flyer number is on your ticket, it doesn't matter who pays for it. The MQD balance is associated with your FF number, not the payer, and they will credit towards your account.
Old May 31, 2013, 4:31 pm
wfx

MQDs for Aeromexico flights?

I think the airfares on AM flights are not counted towards MQDs, am I right? Is there anyone who can comment on Aeromexico FFP? I will be flying with them a lot soon, and I need to make a decision on which FFP to use. I was with UA for a few years but current job requires me to change airlines.

Thanks!
Old May 31, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL DM
MQDs are only counted on Delta flights, Delta codeshares, or other tickets issued on 006 ticket stock.

So if your AM flights are Delta codeshares, book the codeshare. Or if you can book a non-codeshare through Delta.com, I think you should also be good there as they'll be issued on 006.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
mqds and gift cards

Will purchase of gift cards---restaurant, dept. stores, etc. count toward Delta new mqm spend requirement starting 2014?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 1:30 pm

If you are referencing the MQD waiver for $25K in spend on a branded Amex card, the answer is yes. Amex has no way to distinguish whether or not you are buying a gift card, since retailers don't attach any special designation to gift card purchase transactions. If you want to be discreet, you can buy a gift card for an odd amount (say, $101.28) or add a stick of gum to your purchase (say, buy a $500 gift card, and with the gum, the transaction totals $501.06).

There are lots of tips regarding gift card purchases on credit cards in the manufactured spending forum; I suggest you check it out for some extra ideas if you're wanting to play the game this way.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
MQD and throw away tickets

Ok my client had a surprise inspection Tuesday so that killed most of my week. It was easier to just by a new multi city ticket to a different site and then go home. Versus applying the credit for my return portion. When MQDs come into affect, I assume a throw away portion will not get me any credit for MQD, even though I spent 600 and had 250 left that I did not use on the original ticket. Any one know for sure?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: SQ
I feel like YMMV on this one. I sometimes do hidden-city to ATL and usually get the MQM/RDM for the flight that isn't flown, so maybe MQD will be the same kind of lottery
Old Sep 5, 2013, 3:49 pm
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
MQD's on Intra-Europe Flights

It might be a little early to ask this question, but I'm struggling to understand what delta means by it's "006" flight code for MQD's. In the past I would use KLM.com to book my intra-europe flying, and just enter my Delta FF number. Now I'm really confused what I would do.

Case in point: say I wanted to fly from LHR to FCO. Using Delta's own website, I get all KL flight numbers (no "006" to be seen) for flights operated by KL or AZ. I also get a ticket quoted in British Pounds. Is this an MQD ticket? Is Delta converting pounds to dollars for me to get an MQD amount?

The old system was so much simpler. Can anybody point me in the right direction here?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
The "006" refers to the "ticket stock" -- a term left over from the good old days of paper tickets. If you buy it on delta.com it will be on "006 stock" and should count for MQDs based on what DL has said.

If you buy it on klm.com with KLM flight numbers it will likely be on KLM's ticket stock (074?) -- from what Delta has said that won't count towards MQDs. If you buy from KLM.com and it is a Delta code share flight number then who knows -- should count but at this point it is not clear.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
MQDs and Codeshare experience

Flew TATL on Virgin on Delta 006 ticket stock. MQMs posted within a few days but no MQDs. Dropped a note to Delta asking why. The answer was that the flight is eligible for MQDs. No mention that it would get fixed.....Three days later, still no MQDs. (Patience is not my forte) .

I realize that it has no bearing on 2014 status but if the beta test isn't working one would hope that once identified as a glitch, they'd fix it.

Anyone get MQDs on an 006 ticket flown on partner metal internationally?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: DL DM/SC, SPG Plat, UA, AA, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Bicostal
Anyone get MQDs on an 006 ticket flown on partner metal internationally?
No issues for me on a recent 006 ticket for a KL AMS-LED and SV LED-SVO flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.