Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Medallion Qualification Dollars or MQDs: The Definitive Thread

Medallion Qualification Dollars or MQDs: The Definitive Thread

Old Feb 1, 2014, 4:51 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Nothing will change. MQDs are earned on KL operated/coded as long as the flights are on a Delta issued ticket.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: FF account on all airlines, DM. All hotel accounts, Hilton Diamond.
MQD failure, my own fault. Damn.

So, yesterday's trip put me at 78,000+ YTD MQMs (including a few roll overs from 2013). So, I immediately go to the Choice benefits and am going to select one, wanting to give it away.

Some of you may remember from a previous post, my son is autistic and 9 yrs old and was taken by my ex-wife to live in her home country of Denmark. So in addition to the weekly travel I do for my job, I also fly to CPH every other month or so to visit him and I get to bring him "home" once or twice a year. I like to gift him status so he gets extra luggage for the toys he gets while he's here. So, he's coming over in April for his birthday and will no doubt get several goodies.

Anywho, I pass the 75,000 miles for gifting him a Silver status but got denied because I forgot about the MQD!!!!! I'm no where near the MQD amount for the actual Platinum status. I have no doubt I'll get the amount of MQD's necessary eventually but.... damn those MQD's!!! ha ha.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
If you don't think you'll get the MQDs you may want to get an AMEX card...if you spend 25K on it in a year you get a pass on the MQDs
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:01 pm

Losing MQD After Already Posted?

Has anyone experienced something like this? I've flown 2 R/T's so far this year, JFK-LAX and LGA-PBI. Both trips posted within 24 hours of completion with MQD but now the MQD have been reduced or eliminated.

On the LAX trip I paid $578 for a Q fare before fees/taxes but was initially only credited $429. I've emailed DL twice to ask why I didn't receive the full amount and have yet to get a response. But now my MQD's are listed as $0 for this trip.

On the PBI trip I paid $212 for an X fare before taxes/fees and got the full amount, but now my account only shows $100.

So $800 worth of flights and only $100 to show for it. Is this a glitch in the MQD system or is something else going on? Any suggestions for how to fix the situation? Thanks.

Last edited by 1600DOCTORB; Feb 4, 2014 at 11:12 pm
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: WFBF, Marriott Titanium
On the first trip, it sounds like the MQDs may be in the process of updating. I asked for ORC, got the email saying it was approved 3 days ago, and still haven't received the proper miles. It just seems like Skymiles RDM/MQM/MQD are backed up from all the mayhem in January.

However, your second trip seems fishy. I would probably open another case to make sure you get the proper amount credited.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
Same thing happened to me. I have a flight that MQD showed up from Jan. 9th/Jan 17th flights and now does not. Shows zero. I used a delta voucher but over $500 of ticket was paid by my credit card. Called in and Delta said they were "looking into it" and they have been having issues. Hope they fix and this is not going to be something everyone has to stay on top of all year long!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
MQD waiver and refunds

So about 2 months back I made a purchase on my DL Reserve card from a friends company which was processed through Square. DL.com registered the charge, and my MQD waiver tracker updated accordingly. However due to Square being a royal useless pain in the ***, they are refusing to cash out the money to my friend for reasons neither of us can figure out. As such hes refunded the money to me and im just going to PayPal it to him. The refund hit the other day but the MQD waiver amount hasnt moved (yet), and ive yet to charge/send the money again via PP.

Has anyone noticed the waiver tracker going down with a big enough refund? I assume it does/should?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I haven't had a big enough refund to swing the needle, but I would assume it does as well. The Amex spend tracker doesn't update frequently though - mine was last updated over 2 weeks ago. So I would expect it to take some time before your MQD waiver amount going down.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond/2.2MM
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
So about 2 months back I made a purchase on my DL Reserve card from a friends company which was processed through Square. DL.com registered the charge, and my MQD waiver tracker updated accordingly. However due to Square being a royal useless pain in the ***, they are refusing to cash out the money to my friend for reasons neither of us can figure out. As such hes refunded the money to me and im just going to PayPal it to him. The refund hit the other day but the MQD waiver amount hasnt moved (yet), and ive yet to charge/send the money again via PP.

Has anyone noticed the waiver tracker going down with a big enough refund? I assume it does/should?
I would assume it will likely hit when you get your next AMEX bill and the miles post to your DL account, at which time the numbers would be net of the refund (my best guess), although the AMEX spend in your "My SkyMiles" page shows what date the spend is current through.

edited 3/19/14

Last edited by enconline; Mar 19, 2014 at 10:42 am
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by enconline
I would assume it will likely hit when you get your next AMEX bill and the miles post to your DL account, at which time the numbers would be net of the refund (my best guess), although the AMEX spend in your "My SkyMiles" page shows what date the spend is current through.

edited 3/19/14
Ahh didnt see the 'current as of' part. The date it displays is before the refund hit. Will have to wait and see i guess Thanks for pointing that out!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM 2.85MM, Priority Platinum
MQD Hard to track

Since the start of the MQD I have been trying to make sure they are being posted correctly. Last week had a segment post as ---- and a simple e-mail to the "Request Mileage Credit" result in an almost immediate posting of the missing MQD. This was interesting since the response email said they found an issue and would post a fix but it could take 4 to 6 weeks. So well done to them for the quick posting even though they gave themselves a very large buffer. I won't need the MQD to reach DM this year so it doesn't really matter if it was fixed or not but I did want it to be accurate.

This brings me to this week.

Just finished a flight with 2 of 6 legs on WestJet (all were DL coded flights) I expected there to be delays and errors with the WS portions. I was surprised to see everything post within 24 hours of the last leg. Now I have a problem that, well not a big problem but one none the less. The MQD posted 20% greater than the total ticket! The segment costs are not broken down on the etkt receipt so I can't really see who or where the issue is. It still doesn't matter if it is fixed or not but this brings me to the real question.

How is everyone verifying the actual segment MQD when it does matter to making the next level?

Last edited by RollsRoyceAndy; Apr 18, 2014 at 12:29 pm
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I'm using the Amex waiver but still tracking MQDs. I have a spreadsheet that I use to track MQMs/MQSs/MQDs based on what I've projected, booked, and flown for the year. When I purchase a ticket I add it to the booked category with the MQDs listed on the purchase page. After the flight I check to see that what posted matches what was shown and add the flight to the flown category.

I did have a few flights booked before I added the MQD portion of the spreadsheet, and for these I looked up the fare + YQ from the receipts on My Delta. I haven't had any flights that were off by more than $2 once all flights for the ticket posted.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:37 pm

Sort of thought this might generate a bit more interest. Over 260 views and only one response! Not sure if this means people trust Delta to do it correctly (would not get that impression from all the Delta.Dumb references) to people thinking it it is no big deal (which may be closer to the truth).

Plenty of posts from people saying they are moving to AA or UA due to the MQD requirement but I could not find any on the tracking of accurate MQD. There are also complaints of lack of MQD from Delta Vacation but do they make up that much of a persons travel to prevent them from reaching the next level?

To Mattp, I am not concerned too much with the total number, I will let DAL add that up, so no spread sheet for me. All I want is to be able to track each segment from the last trip then move on. Problem is there is no per segment cost on the receipt that applies to the MQD. I understand total fare minus the total tax should equal the total MQD for the trip but when the trip is off by 20% I wanted to know which segment was incorrectly calculated. I guess there is no easy way to do this from the lack of response but I will hold out hope that someone will post a way to see the segment costs.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
afaict, delta is just taking the total MQD for the trip, and allocating it across the miles flown proportionally. my last trip was the same route out and back, on different fare classes (K out, X back, very different values on those fares.) it split evenly, except the last leg was a couple dollars short to make up for rounding.

this makes me contemplate what happens if you cancel the return..

postings to skymiles and skybonus are different -- skybonus correctly divides the ticket into fare components, then allocates across individual segments by miles within each fare component. skymiles seems to divide across the whole trip.

i'm watching a trip my boss flew to see how it posts. the trip was F (yes, someone actually pays the F06 fare) out, H back. he changed the return after flying the outbound. i suspect he's going to get hosed on this one, but we'll see on wednesday...
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Seat1A
afaict, delta is just taking the total MQD for the trip, and allocating it across the miles flown proportionally. my last trip was the same route out and back, on different fare classes (K out, X back, very different values on those fares.) it split evenly, except the last leg was a couple dollars short to make up for rounding.
This is not what is indicated by my trips so far this year. Seemingly random cash values are being posted. Most have added up to the total fare - the total tax but the out and back do not always split evenly. This last trip is the real head scratcher due to the 20% over payment of MQD.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.