Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Medallion Qualification Dollars or MQDs: The Definitive Thread

Medallion Qualification Dollars or MQDs: The Definitive Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by mnbp
MQDs accrue to the traveler's own SM account, just like MQMs - and only after travel, just like MQMs. Did you perhaps confuse the MQD line with the line immediately below that which says "Card spend" (and which updates almost instantaneously after a credit card purchase)? "Card spend" (MQD Waiver) always accrues to the SM account of the primary account holder.
Thank you mnbp. You are exactly correct. I noticed the dollar amount and then the fine print below referencing MQD and jumped to the wrong conclusion.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1.1MM
Working with MQD rules

so I have a JFK-LHR-ATH return ticket that I'm trying to book in biz with JFK-LHR on VS and LHR-ATH on BA (or A3), and I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to get MQDs for it.

The JFK-LHR flight is code-shared with DL so there's hope, but I can't figure out how to book the ticket to get maximum MQDs.

Problems:
- Kayak and consolidators are willing to sell me the ticket, but as a VS marketed flight on the first leg. (Which I believe won't earn MQDs.)
- Looking for separate JFK-LHR and LHR-ATH round trips more than doubles the fair.
- I haven't tried calling, but I don't know if DL would issue me a ticket with a BA/A3 flight on it?

Thoughts?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Needs to be on DL 006 stock with a DL partner that earns miles/mqms, or with DL flight numbers if on other airline stock. So if DL issues a ticket for VS I think you should get MQD for that part, but not for the BA... assuming they can do that.

Consolidator ticket you're likely to get hosed on both MQM and MQD.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1.1MM
Originally Posted by rylan
So if DL issues a ticket for VS I think you should get MQD for that part, but not for the BA... assuming they can do that.

Any idea if they would issue such a ticket? Since it really has nothing to do with DL other than the ticket stock? Or do I need to add a PHL-JFK or some other short hop in the beginning to make it work?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Try calling and asking?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:35 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Orion316
Any idea if they would issue such a ticket? Since it really has nothing to do with DL other than the ticket stock? Or do I need to add a PHL-JFK or some other short hop in the beginning to make it work?
They should be able to issue the ticket - especially with the DL codeshare.

I recently booked an AF, SU, S7, and KL itinerary on 006 stock and expect to get full MQDs for the AF and KL portion.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:56 am

MQDs?

So I booked and flew a one way ticket with a base fare (not entire cost, but base fare) of $229. Only 146 MQDs posted to my account. What's up?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
I'm guessing you had $83 in taxes and fees, which are excluded from MQD's.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:06 am

Again, the base fare was $229. The confirmation email I got says:

FARE: 229.77 USD
Taxes/Carrier-imposed Fees: 39.03
Ticket Amount: 268.80 USD

That means I should get at least $229 MQDs, right?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by nogophers
I'm guessing you had $83 in taxes and fees, which are excluded from MQD's.
OP said base fare not once, but twice.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When did you complete your flights? Is this a roundtrip? Have the outbound flights posted, but not the return yet? Sometimes it takes a few days for MQD's to post. Need more details.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by LBJ
When did you complete your flights? Is this a roundtrip? Have the outbound flights posted, but not the return yet? Sometimes it takes a few days for MQD's to post. Need more details.
OP wrote "one way ticket". If it was a connection, it's possible that not all segments have posted MQDs yet. If it was a nonstop, call Delta and ask (and please let us know their story).
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
There are definitely documented issues with MQD posting correctly, especially when it has to be re-ticketed for any reason (including IROPS, SDC, etc.) Wait until the weather evens out a bit and they aren't slammed with people trying to get home and then give them a call. And technically, it should be 230 MQD. They round up
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
OP wrote "one way ticket". If it was a connection, it's possible that not all segments have posted MQDs yet. If it was a nonstop, call Delta and ask (and please let us know their story).
Sorry, missed that.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
What was the city pair/market?

It depends on the tax and fare structure for your ticket, which is relative to where you are flying. When you book, the MQD total shows before you pull the trigger. This has led to me NOT booking tickets on DL/KL, but using an LCC, in particular markets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.