Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Smoking Cigarette onboard DL1678 (MSP-LAX) - 27 Dec 2015

Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, ☆A Gold, Hertz 5☆

This is a first for me in 500+ flights. About half way to LAX the intoxicated guy sitting next to me (3C) heads to the bathroom. He returns to his seat and I (3D) get a heavy waft of Pall Malls. The entire FC cabin could smell it. Two female FAs discuss with the passenger and then rummage through the bathroom for about 10 minutes. Eventually he passes out with a stronnnng lean (see pic). Upon arrival in LAX he deplanes and no words are said. Anyone had this happen before? Do they need to find actual evidence in order to do anything about it?
Moderator note:
Deleted photograph due to privacy concerns. The individual was clearly identifiable.

Last edited by andydrix; Feb 11, 2016 at 11:05 pm Reason: Privacy concerns
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The FAs were probably looking for a smoldering cigarette rather than evidence in the lavatory.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by andydrix
Anyone had this happen before?
In a word - NO.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Surely the lav smoke detector would have gone off if he really did light-up there.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: Delta DM / 4MM; HHonors Diamond
Smoke Detector could have been in-op . . . And don't call me Shirley.

(Sorry, couldn't resist!). Anyway, the detectors do get tested, but not all that often. I'm sure the FAs were searching for a smoldering fire, just in case. Anything else (detention / arrest) is up to the Captain, I believe.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't think the primary purpose of the smoke detector in there is to catch pax with a cigarette... its to detect an actual that could be smoldering/starting in the trash.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Cigarettes in waste bins have brought aircraft down before. It's a pretty big deal. The FAs were rightfully more concerned with finding a smoldering cigarette than dealing with the offending passenger.

He should have been met by the police upon arrival though.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Never had that happen, but based on my behavior told a-holes who light up in bars and restaurants with smoking bans, that guy would have been called a whole lot of names, very loudly. What an inconsiderate jerk.

(And yes, I'm sure the FAs were looking for the cigarette butt, as leaving it somewhere unmonitored is definitely dangerous.)
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mr_hoff
Smoke Detector could have been in-op . . . And don't call me Shirley.
No, that's not possible. Federal law prohibits tampering with, disabling, or destroying a restroom smoke detector.

Also, there are 10 exits on a Boeing 757-200. Six doors - three on each side - and four window exits over the wings.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
No, that's not possible. Federal law prohibits tampering with, disabling, or destroying a restroom smoke detector.

Also, there are 10 exits on a Boeing 757-200. Six doors - three on each side - and four window exits over the wings.
Yes, but none of these exits can be used during flight.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: delta dm
Maybe after watching the safety video intoxicated....the guy thought hey rich anderson said hes got my back so ill just light up in the lav☺
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson

Is there wifi on my flight? And if so when will it become available?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I quit cigarettes back in 2000 when my daughter was born. And yes, I am one of "those" reformed smokers.

I do feel sorry for smokers though. For example, when you deplane at LHR, you actually have to leave the building after immigration, customs and baggage to have a cigarette. After a long flight, I think that is just cruel - Have a little hut like they do in DXB, DOH, BKK, AMM and let people indulge in their nasty habit after getting off a long flight.

I was nearly going to mention about letting people vape or e-cigarette on the aeroplane but segregating it would be a nightmare.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Where are the apologists? They insisted that FCM and fewer medallion upgrades would lead to a much classier first class experience. Is this what they had in mind?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
We were on a VN flight from Yangon to HCMC last month, the only 5 folks in F, and the (Russian) pilot came out twice from the cockpit, smoked a cigarette in the F bathroom and then returned to the cockpit. Let's just say it's pretty freaking obvious when someone smokes in the bathroom!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.