FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Last Minute Flight Deal? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1745327-last-minute-flight-deal.html)

cowens02 Feb 10, 2016 2:30 pm

Last Minute Flight Deal?

Hey everyone!

I know I am going to hear from everyone for not booking earlier, but I am wondering if anyone has experience with booking a last minute flight with Delta with miles.

I am looking to go NYC-LAS 2/12-2/15 with my miles. The other day (when I should have bit the bullet and booked) they were coming up 25k miles, which I am comfortable setting back for this short a trip. Today, the same flights are 65k miles. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with prices going down significantly right before the flight.

I have made a dummy booking and see that there are still a handful or so seats left on the various flights I am able to take (due to time constraints), so at least I know there is a chance there is a seat still available if I decide to shell out the 65k.

Anyone have thoughts? Any hope for me to book this flight for 25k within 48 hours of takeoff? Thanks!! :)

miraclebear2003 Feb 10, 2016 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by cowens02 (Post 26164341)
Hey everyone!

I know I am going to hear sh*t from everyone for not booking earlier, but I am wondering if anyone has experience with booking a last minute flight with Delta with miles.

I am looking to go NYC-LAS 2/12-2/15 with my miles. The other day (when I should have bit the bullet and booked) they were coming up 25k miles, which I am comfortable setting back for this short a trip. Today, the same flights are 65k miles. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with prices going down significantly right before the flight.

I have made a dummy booking and see that there are still a handful or so seats left on the various flights I am able to take (due to time constraints), so at least I know there is a chance there is a seat still available if I decide to shell out the 65k.

Anyone have thoughts? Any hope for me to book this flight for 25k within 48 hours of takeoff? Thanks!! :)

I can't believe you didn't take the flight(s) for 25K; that is not a short flight. Do I think it will be 25K again - the answer is no.

cowens02 Feb 10, 2016 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by miraclebear2003 (Post 26164457)
I can't believe you didn't take the flight(s) for 25K; that is not a short flight. Do I think it will be 25K again - the answer is no.

I just couldn't commit at the time! I know, I'm an idiot! I was freaking out because I couldn't find a hotel in my price range so I told myself (like an idiot) that I could wait it out. It was a last minute trip just to relax a bit, so even though I will be freezing cold here in NYC this weekend, I won't be missing anything important....dumb dumb dumb person I am!

404flyer Feb 10, 2016 3:03 pm

On that route with those dates I wouldn't expect it to open back up at the 25k level.

cowens02 Feb 10, 2016 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by 404flyer (Post 26164524)
On that route with those dates I wouldn't expect it to open back up at the 25k level.

*sigh* that's what I figured...:(

Mr. Tickets Feb 10, 2016 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by cowens02 (Post 26164341)
Hey everyone!

I know I am going to hear sh*t from everyone for not booking earlier, but I am wondering if anyone has experience with booking a last minute flight with Delta with miles.

I am amazed you found that type of deal. It is a double holiday weekend in the middle of a terrible weather winter (Valentines Day and Presidents Birthday). Good luck!

xliioper Feb 10, 2016 6:01 pm

Oops, nevermind. Was looking at the wrong dates. I think you will generally find you need to book at 2 weeks out or more to find decent rates. When the new award system first came out, most routes had hard and fast advance purchase requirements for the lowest award categories. While they seem to have relaxed this somewhat, it's still generally true that lower level availability is going to be limited close-in.

bubbashow Feb 10, 2016 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by miraclebear2003 (Post 26164457)

I think that is (very) relative here on FT. I agree it is a short flight.

Right now you can get a UA/B6 combination for the 620 range which isn't bad at the last-minute.

Good luck with the cold...I am in MI and headed to Dubai...only about 70 there, but better than the 11 predicted here. I think that is a long flight.

MSPeconomist Feb 10, 2016 7:01 pm

With DM/PM status and enough miles, you can always book first and decide later but before T-72 whether you want to make the trip or can find a better deal.

cowens02 Feb 11, 2016 8:12 am

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I figured I was screwed...oh well!

I am still obsessively checking to see if there is any change...trying the flexible dates and if I left today and came back a day later its right at that 25k sweet spot...but, alas, cannot take two days off work :(

cowens02 Feb 17, 2016 9:49 am

just as a quick update--found the same 25k deal today and booked it without hesitation. don't care if i need to take a day off work! :)