Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nice gift from DL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Nice gift from DL

The weekend of the snowpocalipse I was booked to fly AVL to ATL Friday, stay overnight to visit a friend then on to TPA for two nights then return to AVL on Monday. AVL flight canceled, they kept moving flights and rebooking me automatically, however, I just decided to stay home since I didn't want to deal with any of the hassle. It was a non-refundable ticket so I knew I was out the money. DL sent me a survey apologizing for the cancelation. The survey was multiple questions with text boxes so I completed it. I blamed no one but the weather for the muck up and only mildly lamented about my loss of money. Within 48 hours I received an email from a rep with a gift of 10k redeemable miles. These days getting 10k redeemable miles is a bit harder even with bis. Granted, I really would have loved them to be qualifying miles but no looking the gift horse in the mouth.

If you get a survey, fill it out, be nice.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by TravelingBear
AVL flight canceled.
Because the flight you were originally on was cancelled, you should be able to call DL and get a refund, even if your ticket was non-refundable.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Agreed. In no way should you be out any money if your original flight was cancelled
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:04 am

My wife also received the 10,000 points, as did other AVL travelers.

In her case, she arrived in AVL around 5:00 PM on Saturday January 23, a day later than she had planned, due to the snow. However, when the flight finally reached the airport, there were no available gates. By my count three, and possibly four of the six gates were taken up by Allegiant Air planes, which didn't appear to be going anywhere. Apparently, the operation that services Allegiant flights at Asheville, couldn't/wouldn't use their tugs to move the planes, in order to free up the gates.

My wife's flight was finally able to reach a gate about 45 minutes after its arrival, when another DL flight departed from the airport.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Because the flight you were originally on was cancelled, you should be able to call DL and get a refund, even if your ticket was non-refundable.
+1 -- This is actually federal law I think. It doesn't matter why the flight was canceled, if waivers are in place, or what rules the ticket has. If the flight is canceled and you don't take whatever alternative arrangements made by the airline you're entitled to a refund.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
The weekend of the snowpocalipse I was booked to fly AVL to ATL Friday, stay overnight to visit a friend then on to TPA for two nights then return to AVL on Monday. AVL flight canceled, they kept moving flights and rebooking me automatically, however, I just decided to stay home since I didn't want to deal with any of the hassle. It was a non-refundable ticket so I knew I was out the money. DL sent me a survey apologizing for the cancelation. The survey was multiple questions with text boxes so I completed it. I blamed no one but the weather for the muck up and only mildly lamented about my loss of money. Within 48 hours I received an email from a rep with a gift of 10k redeemable miles. These days getting 10k redeemable miles is a bit harder even with bis. Granted, I really would have loved them to be qualifying miles but no looking the gift horse in the mouth.

If you get a survey, fill it out, be nice.
As others have noted, you are entitled to a refund, even on your "non-refundable" ticket. This is what's called a "Trip in Vain", in that due to the flight delays, you determined that the new options provided by the airline didn't meet your needs. Contact Delta, and ask for a refund on the ticket. You will get full value.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
As others have noted, you are entitled to a refund, even on your "non-refundable" ticket. This is what's called a "Trip in Vain", in that due to the flight delays, you determined that the new options provided by the airline didn't meet your needs. Contact Delta, and ask for a refund on the ticket. You will get full value.
Trip in Vain often means that your cancel the trip at a connection point when it becomes clear that you cannot reach the destination (or a stopover) in time for the purpose of the trip. Then the airline transports you home and refunds the ticket.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
As other posted have noted,

This is a good-will gesture in addition to your refund.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Well then, apparently I have a phone call to make.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Well then, apparently I have a phone call to make.
Have you checked your Delta account and credit card account to make sure that you don't have an e-credit or a cc refund already? Those aren't likely but it won't hurt to check before calling.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Nice gift from DL

More importantly - we have three FTers in AVL?

For those who live in larger cities that may not be news but in AVL that is definately news.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:01 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight

For those who live in larger cities that may not be news but in AVL that is definately news.
With the number of people on FT, do you really think it is news? I don't. Three in larger cities? No, think dozens or hundreds
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by fti

With the number of people on FT, do you really think it is news? I don't. Three in larger cities? No, think dozens or hundreds
So you've never been to Asheville before - come visit some time - great city - interesting people.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
So you've never been to Asheville before - come visit some time - great city - interesting people.
I'll be there next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.