Sky Club toiletries

Old Jan 31, 16, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Sky Club toiletries

This is surely one of the stupider DL-related things one could care about (I would definitely have posted this in the "Least Substantive" thread if the one in the DL forum were still live), but here goes:

Having been through JFK and ATL recently, I'm not a big fan of the Malin + Goetz toiletries. Besides preferring bar soap to body wash, I hate the peppermint scent of the shampoo.

Does DTW still have the bar soap or is it now all the same stuff across the US? I used the shower at NRT too but I forget what they had there.

Of course I would never base a routing decision this, but may have to start bringing my own toiletries on redeyes...
Old Jan 31, 16, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Aren't you bringing your own toiletries anyway most of the time? Unless you're sure that your hotel will have stuff you like, it's a good idea to bring your own.
Old Jan 31, 16, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, SPG, National
I just wish they would take out the stupid hand lotion from the men's rooms. I swear half of the lotion used is people trying to get soap and ending up with lotion when trying to wash their hands.
Old Jan 31, 16, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Aren't you bringing your own toiletries anyway most of the time? Unless you're sure that your hotel will have stuff you like, it's a good idea to bring your own.
I find that most hotels have pretty generic scents/aromas in their toiletries, and/or they don't bother me; I just have a particular dislike of what's at JFK/ATL.

Also my most frequent itinerary is visiting family in the same house one week or two at a time once a month or so, where I can buy what I want in quantity and just leave it there for following visits.
Old Feb 1, 16, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I've noticed the M+G stuff in SkyClubs at ATL, JFK, LGA, MCO, and PHL at least. I have a sense that they are rolling them out system-wide (at least in the US), and certainly would expect it at a hub like DTW.

I actually appreciate the lotion in the men's room. My hands get incredibly dry anyway, and moreso during the winter. I ordinarily have a small bottle of my own stuff but it's nice to be able to grab some after washing my hands in the SC. And it's certainly better than what you find in many 3- and 4-star hotels.
Old Feb 1, 16, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta Gold (2020)
DTW ladies room certainly had the M&G liquid hand soap and lotion when I was there in December, but I didn't use the shower so cannot note what's in there.....
Old Feb 1, 16, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by paterwdb View Post
I just wish they would take out the stupid hand lotion from the men's rooms. I swear half of the lotion used is people trying to get soap and ending up with lotion when trying to wash their hands.
+1

The two bottles look so alike, I actually did put lotion on my hand once when I wanted soap. I have to read the "fine print" to figure out which is which. I don't mind the lotion, I just wish the bottles were different colors or had better wording on them.

MSP, MCO, SLC and SFO all have them.

Off topic, but we buy Mustela lotion and soap for our baby and those are freaking hard to differentiate! I put lotion on the baby once when she was in the bathtub.

What's with these toiletry companies and getting all fancy with words in French and small lettering?
Old Feb 1, 16, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, US Gold
...actually, I'm 100% in favor of the M+G toiletries rolling out systemwide. And I appreciate the lotion in the restrooms, as well.

At this point, I go out of my way to try and snag a few body wash and shampoo minis. They're perfect to put in your hockey bag for use after a game (although I suppose that's not a universal benefit).
Old Feb 1, 16, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Like others, my hands get really dry in the winter and when I fly, so I appreciate the lotion. However, the lettering is very small which makes it difficult to tell them apart. Plus, I don't need the lotion until after I dry my hands, so having a bottle at each sink isn't that useful. Maybe they could put the lotion bottles near the paper towel dispensers and the hand dryers instead.
Old Feb 1, 16, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Does DTW still have the bar soap or is it now all the same stuff across the US?
The Malin + Goetz toiletries (and more substantial Westin-branded towels) are offered across the Sky Club system, at least according to a sidebar in last month's issue of Sky magazine:

Originally Posted by paterwdb View Post
Originally Posted by zeebanker View Post
The two bottles look so alike, I actually did put lotion on my hand once when I wanted soap. I have to read the "fine print" to figure out which is which. I don't mind the lotion, I just wish the bottles were different colors or had better wording on them.
It seems others have complained about the hand wash and lotion's similar appearances, as the Sky Clubs have recently added bright "SOAP" and "LOTION" labels around the necks of the bottles.

Originally Posted by mattp1987 View Post
Plus, I don't need the lotion until after I dry my hands, so having a bottle at each sink isn't that useful. Maybe they could put the lotion bottles near the paper towel dispensers and the hand dryers instead.
In those Sky Clubs where the towel dispensers are mounted on a wall away from the sinks, I typically find that individual paper towels are also available in trays closer at hand.
Old Feb 1, 16, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mattp1987 View Post
Like others, my hands get really dry in the winter and when I fly, so I appreciate the lotion. However, the lettering is very small which makes it difficult to tell them apart. Plus, I don't need the lotion until after I dry my hands, so having a bottle at each sink isn't that useful. Maybe they could put the lotion bottles near the paper towel dispensers and the hand dryers instead.
Yeah, I've noticed they added big labels to the soap and lotion to differentiate.

I like the M+G stuff but I also liked the old Mizrahi (?) stuff. Anything is better than the usually neon pink soap they have in public restrooms.

As I recall they were selling the previous soaps on a website somewhere, but it was a skyclub "exclusive". Are the new ones also an exclusive scent/formula or can you just buy it anywhere?
Old Feb 1, 16, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by matthew64832 View Post
Yeah, I've noticed they added big labels to the soap and lotion to differentiate.

I like the M+G stuff but I also liked the old Mizrahi (?) stuff. Anything is better than the usually neon pink soap they have in public restrooms.

As I recall they were selling the previous soaps on a website somewhere, but it was a skyclub "exclusive". Are the new ones also an exclusive scent/formula or can you just buy it anywhere?
I think you can buy anywhere.

You also get a 20% off coupon in the D1 amenity kits, but that has to be used at a M+G store which I would assume is overpriced (as well as a $75 of $300 Tumi coupon if that's your thing, also only redeemable at Tumi stores - but that one I was able to use on a couple of Christmas gifts that were already on sale ^).
Old Feb 1, 16, 4:57 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I think you can buy anywhere.

You also get a 20% off coupon in the D1 amenity kits, but that has to be used at a M+G store which I would assume is overpriced (as well as a $75 of $300 Tumi coupon if that's your thing, also only redeemable at Tumi stores - but that one I was able to use on a couple of Christmas gifts that were already on sale ^).
I haven't seen any coupons in my D1 kits. And I've flown like 6 legs in international J in the last month!

Am I missing something here....?🤔
Old Feb 1, 16, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
I have to read the bottles each time to make sure I'm about to squirt soap as opposed to lotion. I've noticed in some clubs the lotion has been placed in a central location on the counter or a side counter.

I'm REALLY glad the M+G dispensers are not the foaming ones. HATE soap foam!
Old Feb 1, 16, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
I haven't seen any coupons in my D1 kits. And I've flown like 6 legs in international J in the last month!

Am I missing something here....?🤔
The little plastic packet with the lotion and lip balm in it has a paper slip saying something about DL partnering with Tumi and M+G or something. It also has the ingredients for the M+G products.

Once I was particularly bored and pulled the slip out to read it. Surprisingly, it unfolded and there were coupons printed on the reverse side!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: