FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   LAX DL domestic to International connection time (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1742676-lax-dl-domestic-international-connection-time.html)

ben237829624 Jan 29, 2016 10:44 am

LAX DL domestic to International connection time

Hey guys.

Having been disappointed with United for this past year, I've now decided to make the switch to Delta, and this is my second trip on DL, BOS-LAX-SYD-(Virgin Australia)-MEL.
I'm worried about the connection time in LAX. As I just found out my connection time in LAX is only 35min. I did some research, and found this is the MCT for DL-DL connection in LAX. I'll be arriving in LAX at 9:58PM and the departure to SYD is at 10:33PM. I understand that there will be risk associated with this short connection, however I want to make sure I do what I possibly could to maximize my chance of getting onto the flight.
What can I do to better prepare myself? Maybe not check bags(how likely my checked bags will not make the connection)? Maybe even pay for Comfort seating so I deplane faster?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Ben

Update: Just called DL and agent says its a legal connection and can't change it for me. I'll keep the BNE flight in mind if anything happens.

exwannabe Jan 29, 2016 11:02 am

I first misread your post (thinking your were on VA to SYD) and were obviously going to be looking for a hotel room near LAX.

The only thing I would prepare for is to know how to get from T6 to T5 if by bad luck you land out there. It is an airside tunnel walkway you would need to find.

Other than that, you are at the mercy of the Connection Gods.

EDIT: DL should give you a free change to an earlier BOS-LAX flight if you wish. If they refuse, HUACA.

EDIT2: Yes, paying for C+ would be smart.

kop84 Jan 29, 2016 11:08 am

Depending on the day of your trip, and what SYD/MEL connection you have, VA has a later in the evening LAX/BNE flight and a BNE MEL flight that would get you in to MEL either the same time or within a few hours of the original SYD/MEL connection

spamkiller Jan 29, 2016 11:14 am

Originally Posted by ben237829624 (Post 26101280)
Hey guys.

Having been disappointed with United for this past year, I've now decided to make the switch to Delta, and this is my second trip on DL, BOS-LAX-SYD-(Virgin Australia)-MEL.
I'm worried about the connection time in LAX. As I just found out my connection time in LAX is only 35min. I did some research, and found this is the MCT for DL-DL connection in LAX. I'll be arriving in LAX at 9:58PM and the departure to SYD is at 10:33PM. I understand that there will be risk associated with this short connection, however I want to make sure I do what I possibly could to maximize my chance of getting onto the flight.
What can I do to better prepare myself? Maybe not check bags(how likely my checked bags will not make the connection)? Maybe even pay for Comfort seating so I deplane faster?

Ben

You would probably arrive in and depart from terminal 5. It is easily doable. I had done the BOS-LAX flight quite often. It should be easily doable. If one of the flights end up in terminal 6, take the tunnel and run.

Also, Delta pads their flight time a but, so you probably have an extra 10 minutes.

flyerCO Jan 29, 2016 11:36 am

Your bags will probably make it before you do. As for connection time, DL adds time into the schedules. Also as noted DL codeshare with VA and if there's still a VA flight to BNE they can put you on it. Finally I've found this flight can take off a bit late since they want to make sure to not arrive to early on SYD. The airport doesn't take arrivals overnight and if the winds are strong and plane light, you can end up getting to SYD too early. Also since it's DL'S and their partner VAs only flights to the area per day they're more willing to hold for passengers. It's not like Europe/Asia/S America were they can send you on a partner worst case.

ben237829624 Jan 29, 2016 12:21 pm

Guys thanks for the wonderful advices. I've studies LAX T5 and T6 map and is praying to the Connection God. Hope everything goes well.

Ben

matthew64832 Jan 29, 2016 12:25 pm

There are usually different MCTs for Domestic-Domestic and Domestic-International. I don't doubt that 35 minutes is the D-D connection time but it seems unlikely that it would also be the D-I MCT.

I'd DEFINITELY try calling in and see if you can get booked on an earlier flight to LAX - 35 minutes is fine if everything goes well, but one hiccup (landing at T6 into LAX, any delay on the outbound) and you will be in trouble.

EDIT: 35 minutes is in fact the D-I connection time (weird). I still think you should try calling.

LoganFlyer Jan 29, 2016 12:40 pm

Given that your connection is not less than the minimum connect time, I doubt DL would change you for free, though of course it can't hurt to try. If it helps, my last 6 BOS-LAX flights were 30 minutes early, 10 minutes early, 25 minutes early, 20 minutes early, 10 minutes early, and 5 minutes early, and all arrived into T5. If it were me, I'd try to change off of the 35 minute connection and if DL said no, I'd have a backup plan ready to present to the GA/service desk in case you miss the LAX-SYD flight.

ben237829624 Jan 29, 2016 1:18 pm

I want to change the 35min connection time as well. However, 1. delta only operates 1 flight from BOS to LAX on my day of travel(March 4th) , 2 the constrain of my personal schedule only allows me to take flights departing after 4 PM. Will it be possible to get DL to put me on an earlier flight on another carrier? I see flights available on AA B6 and VA that will allow for a longer connection time.

kop84 Jan 29, 2016 1:39 pm

3/4 does have the 1105PM LAX/BNE flight, and there are connections the day you arrive BNE/MEL on VA.

The DL GA shouldn't have a problem with rebooking you on DL6794/DL7287 (DL coded) same as VA8/VA332 (VA coded same flights)

UVAhoo06 Jan 29, 2016 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by ben237829624 (Post 26101280)
Hey guys.

Ben

Update: Just called DL and agent says its a legal connection and can't change it for me. I'll keep the BNE flight in mind if anything happens.

As someone who flies to LAX regularly, I'm often sitting on the tarmac for 15-35 mins at LAX because an aircraft is occupying the gate. There's usually a lot of congestion, especially in the evening.

matthew64832 Jan 29, 2016 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by ben237829624 (Post 26102144)
I want to change the 35min connection time as well. However, 1. delta only operates 1 flight from BOS to LAX on my day of travel(March 4th) , 2 the constrain of my personal schedule only allows me to take flights departing after 4 PM. Will it be possible to get DL to put me on an earlier flight on another carrier? I see flights available on AA B6 and VA that will allow for a longer connection time.

DL won't rebook you on another carrier for this (in advance).

I was suggesting to call in even though technically your flight meets the MCT because sometimes agents are willing to make changes when you are very close to the MCT and you have some other factor (such as once a day int'l flight). However, they would never rebook you onto AA or B6 for this, that's generally reserved for day-of IRROPS.

It sounds like there is a second flight to Australia that night on a DL partner with DL codeshare, so they are likely to rebook you on that if you miss your connection. However, I'd be proactive on your day of travel by calling DL if you see any delays in your first flight to try to get rebooked or protected on the later flight as soon as possible.

Bowgie Jan 30, 2016 10:28 am

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06 (Post 26102578)
As someone who flies to LAX regularly, I'm often sitting on the tarmac for 15-35 mins at LAX because an aircraft is occupying the gate. There's usually a lot of congestion, especially in the evening.

I agree. If OP misconnects, this is going to be the reason.

Bowgie Jan 30, 2016 10:48 am

Originally Posted by matthew64832 (Post 26102740)
DL won't rebook you on another carrier for this (in advance).

It sounds like there is a second flight to Australia that night on a DL partner with DL codeshare, so they are likely to rebook you on that if you miss your connection. However, I'd be proactive on your day of travel by calling DL if you see any delays in your first flight to try to get rebooked or protected on the later flight as soon as possible.

I agree. DL telephone reservations can do this, and I think more dependably than either the gate agent or a manned rebooking desk in the T-5 terminal. If OP is sitting on the arrival tarmac, and sees the SYD flight pull away, he should whip out his smart phone and check his Delta app to see if he's be proactively rebooked. If not, he can telephone Delta reservations right from the seat of his arriving plane.

The Delta plane to Sydney is going to be parked at the end of the T-5 pier. Not likely to be a lot of 777's there other than the SYD one.

If the OP has the right field of view on his arriving plane, see can see a message board above the outside wall of the departing gate with "SYD" and a count-down timer to the scheduled departure.

If the OP is rebooked onto the VA flight, he'll probably have to walk (or take the "A" Connections bus) to VA's check-in counter, which is in terminal 3 just past Bradley (the international terminal at the bottom of the big "U", which is how they are laid out). VA departs from Bradley, which is weird because their departure terminal is different than their check-in terminal.

(Even if Delta rebooks, I doubt that they can issue a VA boarding pass that can be scanned for boarding at Bradley terminal.)